Subs and mono amps?

Username: Ludeke7

Post Number: 1
I've seen a few people suggest mono amplifiers for sub set ups. What would be ideal for 2 x 12" DVC that can come in 4 ohm and 2 ohm?
I want to get the cheaper and more powerful set up, so I can buy 2 ohm or 4 ohm Kicker comps both DVC, and im trying to figure out what would be the best amp setup for 2 x 12" Kicker Comps.
So, 4 ohm or 2 ohm subwoofers?
and what amp would be ideal for that setup?

Basically looking for least expensive but still quality.

Also, is setting a mono amplifier to 2 subs anymore difficult than setting up a 2 channel? and what would be the benefit?
Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3413
get the DVC 2 ohm and get a kicker ZX 750.1

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1015
"is setting a mono amplifier to 2 subs anymore difficult than setting up a 2 channel?"
No - it's just a matter of understanding how to wire the correct impedance (or being able to read a simple wiring diagram), and purchasing the correct subs that will allow you to wire the impedance you want.

"and what would be the benefit?"
When you get into big power (~1000w) there are basically 2 advantages of a mono amp over a 2 or multi-channel.

Price - in most cases a 1000w mono sub amp is going to be less expensive than a 2 ch equally as powerful.

Efficiency - CLASS D mono amps (which most are) are more efficient than the usual class a/b 2/3/4 ch amps especially at listening volumes where a class a/b will run 30-50% compared to a class D which will be ~70%. A/b's do a little better at full volume, but chances are you won't have it operating at full volume all that often.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us