What are your opinions on Jensen?

Username: Orange93

BF , Idaho

Post Number: 10
What are you guys' opinions on the Jensen VM9311TS and the 9511TS? Would I be happy with the 9311 if I really don't need the nav. and the sd slot?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3187
junk, save about 250 more you could get a panasonic.

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 301
It really depends on what you're looking to get out of it. If you're just looking for the "flash factor" and simply NEED to be able to play DVDs in your car, then a Jensen unit will work just fine for you. Jensen has flooded the market and are putting out really cheap DVD players with half decent components and screens. Out of the box they look pretty good but as far as performance, long term durrability and support, you'd be better served to look elsewhere. If you want something that's going to last and have decent sound, Jensen isn't the way to go. With only 13 watts of RMS output (18W on the 9511TS), 2 volt preouts and no AUX-in port, you're pretty limited on what you can do with it. Like I said though, right now it's one of the cheapest options for getting DVD playback into your ride, so if that's all you care about then do it up and you certainly won't notice much difference between the two units. And if you're not going to use the SD slot or buy the nav unit, then there's no point at all in getting the 9511TS.

Bronze Member

BF , Idaho

Post Number: 11
Well I do want it to last for a while no matter what I buy and pay for it, of course. It seems like there are alot of people on this site that have bought them and are pretty happy with them. I know the Alpine IVA-D310 would probably last longer but it still only has 18 watts rms, but you are looking at 700 dollars more than the 9511. I've read up on the 9311 quite a bit and it seems like everybody that has bought them is happy with them, but I haven't heard much about the durability they have. I'm just not that fond of the Jensen name and who knows what these people are comparing theirs with. Will it sound that bad? And has anybody had one of these things for a while?

Username: Lord_auric

Post Number: 3
1. RMS on most any deck is a joke and if you have after market speakers you need a four channel amp anyways.

2. 2v preouts do kind of suck but more so for the serious systems and no one would use a 450 video deck for anything serious.

Basicly the 9311 is a great deck for what it is. If you want more pay more. You get what you pay for but for Ipod and DVD this deck works fine. Hell I've tested it at work and it even plays divx but won't fast forward with divx. It's a pirate's dream really.

As for Jensen, yeah they have a history of crap but these decks seem to be better. They're cheap but not crap. I'd say sound quality and such is comparative to other entry level decks(say the 100-200 non video models). For the average user this will be fine and if you worry about the life of the item just buy it with an extended warrenty, which is my plan if I end up getting one.

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 306
Bad is relative, so if you're going from a stock head unit, or a really outdated aftermarket unit then it's bound to be in improvment and quite honestly, there are plenty of people who can't hear the difference between high end and low end audio equipment in the first place.

Adrian is right in that if you're replacing your speakers as well, then deck power isn't going to make any difference, but like I said, if this is the only upgrade you're doing, or plan to do, then you'd be best served to try and get the best bang for your buck and I personally don't think a Jensen unit is the way to go, but that's just my opinion.

As far as long term durrability, as far as I know, the 9311 has only been out for about 6 months (if that), so you wouldn't find anyone who's had it any longer than that.

Bronze Member

BF , Idaho

Post Number: 12
I see what you're saying man, thanks. I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix with the stocker cd and cassette player and I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive upgrade, but I don't want something that won't last long. What would be a good unit for the best "bang for the buck?" I'm not going to be putting a serious system in the car, maybe just a couple of 12" Rockford HE2's that are in my truck, but that would be about it other than a different head unit.

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 307
Ha, nice, I drive an '04 Grand Am.

The issue with DVD is that you really do get what you pay for in terms of performance. There's not a ton of "middle of the road" units. You go from the $400 Jensen units and then (and this is a generalization I realize) you get up into the $1000 range. Now, you get a lot for the price, but the bottom line is that a lot of people aren't willing to drop that kind of cash, especially if they're not looking to build a serious system.

I was in basically your same spot about 6 months ago. I wanted to move to DVD (from a Pioneer 5800), simply because me and my girl take a fair number of long-ish car trips. I also have a lot of bootleg concert footage on my PC and wanted to be able to burn and play some of it in the car.

I shopped around a lot and talked to a lot of people who run different DVD HUs and tested as many as I could. When it came down to it, I was stuck between a Clarion unit, a base model Alpine, a Pioneer screen, and a couple of Kenwood units. Most of the specs were similar and my decision was based on which one I liked the looks of and the control layout. I went with the Kenwood KVT-617DVD and I don't regrett it for a second but just like everything else in car audio it's subjective. I happen to think that the majority of in-dash DVD flip out units are really ugly. The amount of trim around the screen looks like crap and the button layouts are stupid. Cosmetic issues might be minor to a lot of the people looking to build a serious system, but or people like you and I just looking for a balance between the performance and appearance, it's important.

I ended up getting a decent deal on the unit through a buddy of mine who works at a local shop and had it in my car for $600. Alternatively, I know some people are a little nervous about it, but I've had nothing but good luck buying NEW audio equipment on ebay. New is the key. Generally there's no factory waranty, but some of the bigger ebay stores offer their own.

Here is a chart with the specs for that Jensen HU next to the others I'd considder before it and my Kenwood. The Kenwood is the most expensive, yes, but not only can you get it for much cheaper at other retailers but you'll be much happier with it in the long run, at least as far as I'm concerned so if you want my reccomendation, that's what it would be, not just because I own it, but becuase I've tested and checked out its competition. Alternatively, and for a bit less cash, that Clarion unit might work out ok for you. I'd seriously check out ebay, just look for a seller with good feedback and new products.

Wow, that's an epic reply, sorry about that. That's what a boring night shift job will get you I guess. Hope some of it helps.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigman3889

Post Number: 51
im in the same category as orange..i want the nice upgrade...but i have some what of a decent system..i have 2 amps..1 powering my 4 speakers and another powering my subs..i have nice kkicker subs and some decent amps..(kinda up[sets me..wish i knew more when i was firsting putting in a system)..so i think the jensen is perfect for me..but i played with it at circuit city..and idk if it was their model but the touch screen was really shakey..it was releeeee delayed..and sometimes didnt read my touch..happens with all units or just they had a bad one? idk u tell me.. thanks

Bronze Member

BF , Idaho

Post Number: 13
I was at Crutchfield and did the little "What will fit?" thing and only two of the things would fit: the Jensen and the Kenwood. I don't know why it says the others don't. I was also wondering if the double-size in-dash DVD's would work. It also says they won't fit on Crutchfield but it my car looks to have a double-sized cd player in it now. I don't know though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3197
check this out, i can get it to you for $485 delivered. http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-CQ-VD7003U-7-Motorized-In-dash-Car-LCD-DVD_W0QQite mZ120051839866QQihZ002QQcategoryZ32825QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bronze Member

BF , Idaho

Post Number: 14
Hey Ty,
How long can you give me to find out if I can pick that up? Does that have any kind of warranty and is it NAVI ready? It looks like it is in the pic. but I didn't see anything about it in the specs. unless I just overlooked it.
Thanks man

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 309
Matthew, if you're going to be running amps, I'd personally reccomend looking for something with more than 2V pre-outs. Adrian really hit the nail on the head with this: "2v preouts do kind of suck but more so for the serious systems and no one would use a 450 video deck for anything serious". I'd definately look into something that had at least 5 or 7 volt pre-outs. Again though, that's just me. And as far as the unit you tested being flimsy, it could be the design of the unit itself, or it could be from people banging on it all the time, hard to say.

Orange, the Crutchfhied fit guide isn't 100% reliable but it's usually a pretty good indication if you may have to do some modifications. Try looking around online for a Grand Prix specific board. I've been able to get answers to all my grand am questions from the GA Owners Club forum, there's probably something similar for Grand Prixs and I'm sure they'd have info on your double din question. I know that the newer Grand Ams all have 1.5 Din openings, so that might be the case on the Grand Prix as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3204
no pickup on that item and just to panasonics website, and it carries a 90 day warranty from panasonic.

Bronze Member

BF , Idaho

Post Number: 15
Oh I see. Is this one alot better? Does anybody have the panasonic?

Username: Kmanus

Champaign, IL US

Post Number: 1
Here is another opinion on the Jenson, I have the 9511TS, and I bought it because I wasn't putting together a "Serious" system, and the two things were the jensen stands out is:
1. The screen, it has better resolution than the competitors and it's very6 easily noticed in side by side comparisons.
2. It's compatibility with file formats, it not on ly plays DVD's and MP3's, but AVI's MP4 MP2, MP1, and as a video editor with knowledge of encoding, this is really useful, I can put about 200-230 320x240 videos with high bitrate Mp3 sound, all encoded in mpeg4, on one dual layer disc. That with my 4 gig SD and Ipod, holds all my Music MP3's (on the ipod),, and I get a little over 12 gigs to store videos, all without having to take out or put in a disc while I'm driving. If you have any skills with encoding vieo, or willingness to learn, you should also consider that feature of the Jensen.

Bronze Member

BF , Idaho

Post Number: 16
How is the sound quality of yours Kevin?

Username: Kmanus

Champaign, IL US

Post Number: 2
I don't know if I would be the best judge of sound quality, I have it hooked up to the stock Infiniti system in my truck, personally I am pleased with it, my only complaint is that the knobs fall off very easily....

Username: Qtn2x

Post Number: 2
Hello. Could someone who own/owned this player tell me whether or not the Jensen VM9021TS player resumes where it left off when playing mp3s on SD card? Thanks so much.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us