Used precision power amp question

Username: •cam•

Post Number: 1
im lookin at this precision power ax606.2

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2150676&category=car-audio

its the same as this one but its local
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D270055235341&ssPageName=M ERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=5863578061&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_vi ew_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

i was just wondering what the high pass and band pass things are. also im gonna have an assassin 12 and the two bass channels are only 200 watts rms at 4 ohms but 400 watts at 2 ohms. i think i read something about this lil thing that makes the amp think the speaker is less of a load than it is or something like that. is it worth it or should i look for a different amp.

Post Number: 7
bump and forget that question. what i was wondering is if you hook up a 4 ohm sub and bridge the sub channels then it'll see a 2 ohm load right?

"200 watts x 1 @ 4ohm, 400 watts x 1 @ 2ohm bridged"
so basically it will be 2 ohms because the sub is four ohms then it cuts the effective impedance in half whe you bridge it or sumthing like that?

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1604
^^^^ Yes, most 2 channel amps are only 2 ohm stable. So when you bridge the amp it can only handle 4 ohms becuase the amp is actually "seeing" 2 ohms. That is because you are taking those 2 channels and wiring them in parallel together which halves the load.

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1289
if your sub has dual 4 ohm coils then you can wire it down to 2 ohms. then you can bridge the amp down to 2 ohms to match your sub.

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 482
the assassin is only a 4 ohm sub though

Post Number: 8
and because its a 4 ohm sub bridging the amp so it sees 2 ohms wont work because the sub's 4 ohms?

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1291
that amp says that it is 2 ohm stable bridged. which is unusual. is that sub a single voice coil?

Gold Member

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1606
SVC 4 ohm sub to a briged 2 channel is OK. Your giving the amp 4 ohms, a safe load for the amp to operate when bridged. I am assuming you have just one right?

Lucas, I can't understand what you were trying to say but it does not sound right.

Post Number: 9
yup the assassins are svc. and its a '96 chevy tracker so one 12 is gonna be more than enough. will i have 200 or 400 watts with the two sub channels on that amp bridged to a 4ohm svc sub?

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1292
Isaac I was looking at the ebay link for that amp and it says that it is 2 ohm stable bridged. I was saying that that doesn't sound right.

Gold Member

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1607
Thats a PPI Art Series, arguably some of the best amps ever made. It's very possible that it is 1 ohm stable.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1294
if thats the case then you would think that it would be 1 ohm stable in stereo. i dont understand how they make some of these amps. for instance the jl 1000/1 puts out the same power anywhere from 1.5-4 ohms. if thats the case then that amp changes its power supply voltage rails according to whatever load is hooked into it. ne-way im just blabbing, but isaac if you could give me some insight into how they do this.....

Post Number: 10
so will this amp run the assassin 12 well with the sub channels bridged and 50w rms component speakers hooked up to the other 4 channels?

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1297
i think that it would. issac?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
k cool. even if its a lil underpowered im broke right now so i can upgrade later when i get sum more money. but i was thinkin, will i be able to save money on a head unit by getting a 3.5mm stereo to rca adapter for my ipod and just hookin that up to the amp?

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1304
you can, but the i pod has very low voltage output and it wouldn't sound great. i've done it before and it will get you by. although when i did it i ran my ipod into a kicker KQ5 equalizer so that i would have more control.

Gold Member

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1608
Cam even if you don't actaully use it, that is a steal on that amp. You saw how much the other one went for on ebay, and that one on ebay was slightly damaged. The idea of one amp powering your whole system is pretty sweet. I say go for it. But be a cheap ass like me and offer him like 175 for it and then deal from there!

Lucas, the 1000/1 and all of the JL slash series amp have a fully regualted power supply. Meaning: no matter what ohm load from 1.5-4 ohms and voltage 11-14.5v you will get the same ammount of power. My Xtant amp has a regualted power supply as well. Just in voltage though, so the voltage doesn't determine what the output power will be. It comes in handy because you always know what kind of power you are getting and you don't have to worry about getting higher voltage from your car's electrical system.

Read up on it:

http://www.bcae1.com/regunreg.htm

I know it is a little technical but it will help you understand it some.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
hmmm, does anyone know if one of those acuvolt things would be the way to go or would i be better off just getting a h/u and using the aux?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
hell yeah ima do that. and forget about the accuvolt thing i looked around n it was like $500

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1307
isaac i understand regulated and unregulated power supplies, but what i dont understand is the same power at different loads. if i have 1000 watts at 2 ohms then i will need twice the voltage output to get 1000 watts at 4 ohms.
from your link:
The tradeoff (and there are always tradeoffs in any type of design) with stiffly regulated supplies is a somewhat lower efficiency and a reduction of power output with lighter loads (Stay tuned, I'll explain in the next section). If you remember the Ohm's law formula for power P=E^2/R, you can see that the power output will double if the resistance is cut in half when the voltage applied across the speaker load remains constant (regulated, in this case).

The only thing i can figure is that they change the duty cycle of the PWM to achieve a higher voltage. If this is true then the same JL 1000/1 would be able to put out more power at the lower impedances if the power supply was unregulated. you see what i mean? is there power to be unlocked in the slash series amps? lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us