HO alt problems

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1803
im not dissing alterstart or anything just looking for some more opinions of what i should do.

i installed my alt and the voltage read 14.6 at idle and when i put a load on it (my system) it held fine and then started to drop so i turned it off. ever sense then i have not seen voltage over 14.1 and last night it was reading 12.5v and not even charging my battery. but today it goes to like 13.5v at idle just when my engine cooling fan comes on.

iv been emailing back and fourth with them and basically they havnt been as helpful as i hoped. just basically said it might be a defect or weak battery. and my bat. seems to be fine it reads 12.8 and it always has and i have not problem starting the car.

so i dont really know what to do at this point i can send it in to them which would be a huge pain in the A S S OR i dont know, give me some ideas.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5715
Mat, check your alternator belt. Make sure it's not too loose. I had to get a smaller belt for my car after the HO install (had to do it myself).

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 3796
may be a defective voltage regulator in the alt.

Silver Member
Username: Ton

Post Number: 126
yep may be a defected voltage regulator, i have that same problem as you.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1806
yeah isaac i forgot to mention my belt is tight and that definatly isnt the problem.

also my battery is fine it reads a steady 12.8 like always. and i have no problem starting my car.

the voltage regulator is my worst fear because of having to take the alt. out and ship it back and swap it out again. iv been playing with it all afternoon and then all of a sudden it went up to 14.36 and im like werid so i put a load on it and it stayed at like 14.1 while reving the engine so this is pretty confusing.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5718
Next thing to check are the connections. Make sure alternator to battery is secure, the alternator to chassis is not rusted.
If they're all in good order, send back the alternator for repair. Last thing you need is half dead HO alternator. You need that to last for years.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1809
yeah thanks iv checked the connections and everything is in good shape.

I have a feeling i will have to send it back because there seems to be something wrong with the voltage regulator.

i was just messing with it and when i rev to 2000engine rpms and played a tone i got 14.1v no problem

then at idle it sits at 14.1 but when my cooling fan comes on it drops to 13.5-13.8

so i guess either way it should still be putting out higher voltage when i first hooked it up it put out 14.6-14.8v then after i put a load on it the best iv gotten is like 14.1-.2

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 206
maybe u have an electric cooling fan and it is a beast :P

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1819

quote:

maybe u have an electric cooling fan and it is a beast :P

hahaha maybe ;)

anyway today i tested it on idle with the AC on full and it just dropped from 14.1 to 12.8(bat. voltage) so the voltage regulator has to be F'ed up so iv got to swap it out and send it back saturday.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us