2ohms ampli power for 4ohms speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Cognition

Post Number: 41
Is it possible to feed my infinity reference components and alpine type-s coax with 2ohms from the amplifier eventhough they're rated at 4ohms?

I'm not sure if I stated my question correctly... but my installer had advised me to use my single 4-channel amplifier to power my comps and coax with channels 1 and 2 (@ 2ohms each) and a 12" sub with channels 2 and 3.

Will this be all right?

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 601
Most amps are 2ohm stereo stable, so what your installer is saying is - hooking up your components and the coax's in parallel to channels 1 & 2. Yes it is OK to do, however, you will not be able to fade front to rear so your output will always be the same for the front comps and the rear coax's. Plus it will put a heavier load on your amp - running comps + coax's + sub which will be running at 2ohms, it will get hot most likely:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Cognition

Post Number: 43
I see.. Thanks Maris. By the way, would it be better to run my front speakers and the sub off the amplifier and the rear speakers off the HU? Will this setup allow me to use the HU's fader and prevent the amp from overheating?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us