Tweeters?

Bronze Member
Username: Thakidgame

Hialeah Gardens, Florida U.S.A.

Post Number: 55
I just got my subs intalled yesterday, and got some opinions from some of my friends. Everyone told me my mids were perfect and not to change them, but to get "Highs".

Highs, I know mean tweeters. I know there preety cheap, I just have a couple question about them.

Do I need a amp to power them? Or do they work right off the regular speakers? Which company do you guys recomend to get really nice high's.

To clarify, I listen to mostly Hip-Hop and Rap.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 598
Well, you can't simply get tweets and hook them up to your head unit. You would have to have some knowledge about matching your tweets and mids, that's getting pretty deep.
What you need is a component set powered by an amplifier. There are many good brands out there, depends on your budget - CDT, DLS, Morel, Zapco, Seas, Dynaudio, Rainbow and so on.

Bronze Member
Username: Thakidgame

Hialeah Gardens, Florida U.S.A.

Post Number: 59
Powered by a amplifier? Like a 4 way one? Thats the thing I want to avoid, since I would have to buy another amp, and then connect it to my battery and draw more power. Or do you mean the tweets that bring like a little box... I don't get it. My main question is, are they connectable to a stock stereo?

Bronze Member
Username: King33

Post Number: 11
Yea, I got pretty much the same questions.

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1379
no you cant hook them up to a stock radio unless it comes with a passive crossover. What are you trying to do? Add another set to your factory speakers or do you need a component setup instead?

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 346
the short answer is that to hook a set of tweeters to your stock speaker and deck set up, you'd need a set of crossovers to direct the correct frequencies to the tweeters (info on crossovers can be found here and here) but what Maris and Alter said holds true, it'd be a far more simple install, and most likely yield better results, to simply pick up a set of compents (info on component speakers can be found here and here) which will come packaged with a mid range driver, tweeter, and crossover. For the best results, the advice of amping your components is sound (no pun intended) as you won't enjoy the full advantage of having a component set without feeding them more power than the 15-25 watts RMS your deck can provide. Maris is correct in that trying to just add tweets to a stock system is generally more work that it's wroth unless you're very knowledgeable about both audio qualities and install.

Bronze Member
Username: Dj_007

Carlisle, KY US

Post Number: 48
for someone that listens to rap and hip hop u cant go wrong with infinity cappa tweets.. those things are bright and loud!!

Username: Robbie5636028

Post Number: 4
I have 4 tweeters that are currently hooked up in my jeep straight to the head unit. yes the voice in the song also comes through but it is a drastic change from not having any at all. why cant you hook them up to the hu. will it burn up the cd player over time?????

Username: Intrepid123

Post Number: 3
I have a question about tweeters as well. I have two 5-way 6x9's in the back and two 3-way 6.5's component speakers in my car. But the 3-ways in the front are in the door near my feet so you cant hear them very well. When i turn my volume up my L7 drowns out the highs in the front so people sitting in the front cant hear the voice as well (the backseat is fine, the 6x9's work great, they are positioned near ur head...) Would adding a pair of tweeters somewhere in the front help? And alpine makes a pair of tweeters that are 30w rms, if i bought those with the crossover wouldnt it be fine to hook them straight to my hu?

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 199
Backing up what Derek F said, amplified comps are the way to go. Premier make some tweets that scream and cover goo range. The INF , wow, they are all up in you face ! Good if you need alot of tweets.

^^ Robbie, you can hook them up to the deck,It will not burn up you HU You just need a proper x-over of some sort of you will burn out the tweet and hear alot of distortion at higher volumes.

^^ Cory, you prolly just dont have all you gains set right, things shoudl raise in volume together. My cousing has 4-L7 15's, and 2 comp sets, and his highs are cabable of keeping up with the subs(and TRUST ME, its VERY LOUD). And Yes adding tweeets in the front will help your cause, However, you will be changing the impeadance the factor of the additional tweets. This will make you amp, or HU(amp) put out more power and work harder. I dont think your radio is anything under 4 ohm stable, so I wouldnt try it less you have this runnig on an amp. With the addition of tweets, you will have to reset you gain level. . . etc. ..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us