It is ok to under power subs??

Silver Member
Username: Holt_champ

Htown, MI

Post Number: 186
i am getting 2 15"ssd's soon and i need to know if it is ok to hook up a power acoustik amp(i know, i know power acoustik sucks) to them until i get my other more powerful amp? would that hurt the subs if the gain and everything was set right?

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

\red {TREO}, \orange {USA} \3 {soon to ...

Post Number: 2197
No it doesnt
just dont be an idiot and turn the gian all the way up cuz u want it loud
tune the gain properly and u will be fine

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 187
how should i have it set?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2198
i see A LOT of people saying things like (make sure your gains aren't set too high) or (turn your gains down) etc... when referring to people asking if thier sub can handle a specific amp, etc...

the gain setting on your amp is NOT i repeat NOT a volume setting.

the gain setting is used to MATCH the output voltage from your headunit, to the input voltage on your amp.

some amps prefer a high input voltage. some amps prefer a lower input voltage.

you use the gain setting to reduce clipping (or in short, to provide a clean signal to the output side of the amp)

some headunits put out high voltage, some headunits put out low voltage.

if you have a headunit that puts out low voltage, and your amp prefers high voltage, you may find yoruself setting the gain very high.

if your amp prefers low voltage, and your headunit puts out high voltage, you may find yourself setting the gain very low.

gains should be set using a voltmeter

volume should be set using the headunit.

if you find that your subs are clipping, there are two things that should be checked. are the gains set too high for the volume you are playing, and is the headunit being turned up too high for an appropriate voltage to the amp.

ie:

my panasonic head unit goes up to volume 40.

its cleanest signal is produced at volume 26. after that, it has an exponential rise in output voltage and distortion.

i burp at volume 26. i daily drive at volume 20 (which has a CONSIDERABLY lower output voltage.)

my amp gains are set at about 6/8ths because of the input voltage i am feeding to the amp by using a lower volume setting with a cleaner voltage signal.

gains should be set according to what volume setting you would normally use for daily driving or for burps. because if thats the volume you will most normally use, you want your amp to be reciving a clean signal at that volume, AND to be putting out a clean, non clipped signal at that particular volume.

for instance. lets, for sake of argument, say that your headunit puts out a nice clean signal at volume 20 out of 40

and you set your gains accordingly, with the headunit at volume 20.

now, you try showing off to your buddies, and you crank the headunit to volume 30.

you run a higher rsk of blowing your subs.

not because they may not be able to handle the power. but because that extra 10 clicks on the headunit, has raised the output voltage exponentially. and now the amp is putting out a clipped signal, because the gains were set to match the headunit at volume 20.

now you are sending that clipped signal to the speakers.

clipping generates heat.

heat blows voice coils.

if your amp is too powerful for your subwoofers. ie: you have a 100w peak sub, and a 3000w peak amp.. you DONT protect your sub, by simply turning down the gains on the amp.

you set your gains on the amp, to match the headunit, regardless of what the subwoofers are.

to protect the sub, you use your brain and you dont turn the headunit up farther that what your subs can handle.

if your sub makes nosies it shouldnt make, or generates smells it shouldnt generate, that's your clue to turn down your headunit, not your gains on your amp.

hope this helps.

REALMOFEXCURSION.COM

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 189
well i have a panisonic hu too. do i just turn my radio on and listen untill it starts to distort or when it isnt the cleanest signal??

Gold Member

Post Number: 2199
cleanest signal

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 6971
lol drivingreckless. at first i thought you wrote all that and i was like "wow".

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 191
ok so would 30/40 be cosidered a low or a high output?

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 192
ok so would 30 out of40 be cosidered a low or a high output?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2201
no chad copy paste :-)
30 of 40 should be decent output
but panasonics arent tht good HUs so
the preout voltage is gunna be super low
just set ur volume 3/4
then turn up ur gain till u hear it distort and turn it back sum until the distortion fades and tht is were u will set ur gain
also wen setting ur bass boost dont set it high
Bass Boost is the enemy of the sub i beleive

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 194
alright thanks alot.

Silver Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 978
Me too. At first I thought driving took a Uploadpill. Still a good explanation.Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2204
lol :-O

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Chrome Dip it & Ship i...

Post Number: 8476
lmao. i knew about 6 lines in he didn't write that, he doesn't have the patience.:-) but i appreciate him citing the source, unlike lilrob sometimes.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 9960
yeah plagiarism is not right
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us