Ohms?

Username: Bolen1621

Mech., PA U.S.A.

Post Number: 1
I have infinity Reference 6010cs which includes two 6.5" speakers and two 1" tweeters and two crossovers. I am looking for a two channel amp that will power each set of speakers (one 6.5" and one tweeter per channel). The speakers are rated at 4 ohms and 90 watts max rms. I am trying to get as close as possible to the max rms, but it seems that most amps are only stable at 4 ohms when bridged. Some amps say 85 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms but then say 4 ohm stable in briged mode only. Can some one explain to me what goes with what as far as speakers and amps. Thanks!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4104
if you want to put a speaker per channel, then you need to wire it to 4 ohms each channel.

and if you wanted to wire the speaker together to one channel, you would need to wire it @ 2 ohms..

so you want an amp that either does

180 x 2 @ 4
180 x 1 @ 2

basically, most amps are stable at 4 ohms bridged, and that goes for most amps. you can wire speaker at 4 ohms, and then wire speakers are 4 ohm bridged, but the bridged speaker will be getting more power, because your combinging two channels into one.

Mech., PA U.S.A.

Post Number: 2
The 6.5" and the tweeter together are 90w rms, not 90w each

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7377
if a amp is stable at 4 ohms bridged then it is stable at 2 ohms stereo. Those speakers wont need anywhere near 90 watts to get loud. I would get something around 50-75 x 2 or else step up to the kappa's and give them 100x2. I gave my old old kappa's 100 watts and they screamed. Dont worry about bridging, run it stereo and be done. Get a amp that is anywhere between 50-90 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms but I would stay on the lower side of 50 rather then 90 if I were you.

Mech., PA U.S.A.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the advice, but I am having trouble finding a amplifier that does anything at 4 ohms without bridging. Maybe I'm just not looking right. If you know of anything it would be apreciated!

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7380
ok here is one for you http://www.kicker.com/06/kicker_home.html just because its bridgable doesnt mean you cant use it. bridging it just means you take both chan's and put them into 1 speaker. as longoas it says 75 x 2 thats all you need to know.

Mech., PA U.S.A.

Post Number: 5
Thanks to everyone for the great help. I can't wait to get my new system up and running!

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4108
yea. bridging is nothing more than combing 2 channels into one.

like i said, if you wanted to, you can find an amp that does

100-130 rms x 1 @ 2 ohms..

"the 6.5" and the tweeter together are 90w rms, not 90w each"

i know, but the tweeter, woofer and mid all wire together. so therfore everything is 90 watts rms. as one speaker. thats why they dont tell you the rms of the tweeter etc when you get a component set, because the tweeter woofer and the mid are all getting equal power so to speak.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4109
i said 90w bevcause you dont look at just one of them
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us