Possible to make a box fit in my trunk??

Bronze Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 11
is there ANY chance i could make a box that would fit a 15" sub in my 98 mustang gt trunk? and big enough to be loud and sound good to the full capabilities of the sub? my car is in the shop so i dont have the dimentions right now but if any one has any idea that would be great

Silver Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 750
Yes its possible. Phil from woodlawn cabnitry makes a greak box just for what you need. He was goin to do mine before i sold my stang. You will need to slide the box in from the inside of the car. the box will also be slanted on the front to accomodate the 15" woofer.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3166
what sub

Bronze Member

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 15
FI Q15

while im at it...any ideas for an amp to power it good?

Bronze Member

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 16
mr kebo...is there a website where i can see this box or...did you talk with him in person?

Silver Member
Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 265
http://www.woodlawncabinetry.com/

Bronze Member

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 19
hmmm i guess that would make sense...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3172
where can I find specs on that sub, like airspace required, mounting depth etc, and do you want sealed or ported.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3173
found it

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 119
I believe this is the enclosure Mr Kebo is referring to:
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3174
One big prob, looks like the sub is touching, and that is a no, no, also does the car have a mach system in it? that changes everything.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
Ty,

Give me some credit would ya!!!

The design detail is to scale and that sub is not where near coming into contact with any surface of the enclosure.

I contacted Scott @ Fi Audio and got every dimensional detail of the subwoofer that Mr Kebo was going to use for this enclosure design.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
Why do ya think I did a side thru view detail, to show the subwoofer clearance from the bottom of the enclosure.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 6992
believe me guys, phil knows what he is doing. he will make any angle cuts perfect and not a single section of the box has any inperfections.

i wish i took a pic of port before i threw my subs on. phil did an awesome job of making my box. the port looks so awesome. it would take a skilled person to make such a port.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3175
Phil sent this over to a box manufacture and this was the response..

That's a very nice set of drawings but it's not going to work. The enclosure will be tuned so high it will sound like a set of 6x9's. The best set up for this vehicle is a single 15" downfire and sealed.
----- Original Message ----- From: "ty mutlow" <tjmutlow@hotmail.com>
To: <jclaridy@audioenhancers.com>
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: 98 mustang box

check this out

To: "ty mutlow" <tjmutlow@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 98 mustang box
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:08:10 -0600

This can be done but the Mustang cannot have the Mach460 Sound System. The
enclosure will have to be sealed as well. The maximum internal air space is
1.9-2.0 ft3. It will also work better in a downfire set-up. This will give
you a ported effect and create a deeper bass load. I have done a system
like this before and it worked great.

----- Original Message ----- From: "ty mutlow" <tjmutlow@hotmail.com>
To: <jclaridy@audioenhancers.com>
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 6:21 AM
Subject: 98 mustang box

here are the specs for this sub 15" can you get a box to go into this
mustang(prob sliding from seats)

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
Chad,

I wish I thought of taking pic's of enclosure before I closed it up to show just the slot port detail given the work that had to go into cutting, assembly and fitting.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
Ty,

I have never, ever sent any of my enclosure designs to another enclosure builder or manufacturer.

I don't know where you came up with this sh!t and show me the e-mail I sent to this so called " Person " and while were at it, I could just as easily make up some phony azz e-mail.

Give me a fr!ggin break... audio enhancers, why would I e-mail them any enclosure designs.

Yeah, I like I would actual contact another subwoofer enclosure fabricator.... yeah, right, keep on posting this clap trap.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 6995
"Phil sent this over to a box manufacture and this was the response.. "

i think he is missing a comma after "phil". so i should read "phil, sent this over...."

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 6996
meaning ty sent that email phil.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
Chad,

OK, my bad, but, reagrdless of that, I could give a flying hoot what another enclosure fabricator has to say or give an opinion to about one of MY enclosure designs.

It cracks me up that I have never ever said or gave an opinion about another companys enclosure(s)with the exception of " pre-fab boxes ".

I could talk sh!t about other company's, individuals enclosure designs as well, but, unlike some people I know ( how remain nameless ), I don't talk sh!t about their products.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 6999
true. thats business for you man. people are always like that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
Chad,

It ain't the first time someone/company has talked trash about my biz.

I've been in this biz for 11 yrs designing and fabricating " custom enclosure's " and I got more satisfied customers to my credit than I could possibly or consider creating an " ego page " on my site of all those customer's responses.

I'm in the business of giving the the customer the product they want and at a price they are willing to except and one thing I don't do, though others make claims to, is how well their enclosure's are going to perform or hit.

I don't make such promises, what I do is deliver a well designed, solid built enclosure to the customers spec's and requirement's.

The results can speak for themselves and usually do, that's all that matter's to me.

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1354
is it a convertable, because all that goes out the window because the back seat dont fold down as well

Gold Member

Post Number: 3176
Phil, it was not meant to hurt your ego or feelings, I though the box looked funny and my sent it to my friend for review, and they have been in business over 20yrs doing boxes. I take it you use the same computers and C&C machines and stuff to do boxes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
Ty,

LOL, my ego and feelings are just fine, I don't let vanity get in the way of my business, unlike some other folks I know that think there sh!t don't stink.

Keep on sending anything I post to whomever and posting their replies, I'm sure their vanity could/can use the ego boost to make up for their short comings since I already know what mine are and don't try to inflate my importance.

Silver Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca

Post Number: 539
I dont think a 15ich is going to fit on a convertable. My lil bro has 2 12's on his Convertable and they just fit.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3203
question phil: Couldn't you make the port run from the flat area on the front to the back? maybe that will satisfy ty...

Bronze Member

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 20
yes it does have the mach sound system but it is NOT a convertable...so are u saying i cant use this kind of subwoofer/enclosure because of the mach system?? why is that?

and that is a pretty nice looking enclosure...would it sound good tho?

im goin twords the Fi Q15 so would it be better to get a sealed box? because i want it to sound good but still have people lookin cus they hear it poundin

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3206
Oh, the box isnt even for ty. my bad lol. then ty doesnt have to be satisfied.

goodie- a sealed 15Q will still pound but a ported enclosure will give you roughly a 3db increase.

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
Goodie,

I'm not telling you one way or the other, it's seems the so called " experts of car audio " think they have and know all the answers.

As for what Ty relayed as to:
"That's a very nice set of drawings but it's not going to work. The enclosure will be tuned so high it will sound like a set of 6x9's. The best set up for this vehicle is a single 15" downfire and sealed. "

How the he!! would they know what the enclosure would sound like, let alone what the design specifics actual are, they don't know, they don't have a fr!ggin clue other than basing their assumptions on a drawing.

Trevor, as to your question, YES, I could easily just move the ports down to the lower front vertical flat:

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

\red {TREO}, \orange {USA} \3 {soon to ...

Post Number: 2213
imma have to go with phil on this one
he knows more about boxes then alot of ppl on here
and marshall is good too ;)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3177
i never claimed to know all about box building, but just by the specs from the sub manufacturer, that box does not seem right, that is why i got an oppinion from some one that does this for a living and the company has been in business for 20 yrs and has contracts with many companies, like memphis and alpine

Q15

DUAL 1 | DUAL 2

Fs: 25.9 Hz | 24.9 Hz
Re: 0.7 Ohms/coil | 1.4 Ohms/coil
Qms: 5.64 | 5.72
Qes: .54 | .54
Qts: .49 | .49
Mms: 257g | 279g
Cms: 0.15mm/N | 0.15mm/N
Sd: 810cm^2 | 810cm^2
Vas: 135 l | 135 l
Spl: 88.2dB 1W/1m | 87.7dB 1W/1m
Bl: 10.4 N/A | 15.1 N/A
Xmax: 27mm
Rms: 1000W
Sealed box: 2-2.6 cuft
Ported box: 2.8-4 cuft @ 28-33Hz
Sub OD: 15.625"
Cut ID: 14.125"
Mounting depth: 8.500"
Displacement: 0.19cuft

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Ty,

Look man, I don't want to draw this out into some protracted " they said, who said " mickey mouse argument.

I also didn't say " you Claimed " anything, however, your passing along comments, statements and opinions of a third party you brought into the subject.

I know what all the spec's are in terms of " enclosure parameter design " because when i first heard about Fi Audio, I contacted Scott and got the skinny from him as to " recommended enclosure spec's " for all of Fi's subwoofers.

And, just to be clear on that subject matter, Fi's subwoofer's fall in line with the OLD RE Line 2004 - 2005 Recommended Enclosure Spec's with the noted exceptions that Fi can change up certain build aspects ( magnets ).

Last, it has been stated many times by myself and many others that no one, regardless of prior experiences can be absolutely 100% dead on about any enclosure design performance and bass response because there too d@mn many other factor's involved with an install.

Given, yeah, sure, someone spends enough time, energy and money to monkey around with a specific vehicle and test, re-test and re-test some more to find the right combination, I won't deny that, but, for the most part, people wan to enjoy car audio, not be bored to death by all the little mickey mouse aspect of it.

The competitors in car audio are the rocket scientists because their try to eek out every db they can to WIN.

Everyone else just wants there bass they way they want it and there's no rocket science involved to design a decent/good bass massage.

Bronze Member

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 21
Phil- u seem to know a lot about building boxes...would that box u posted pictures of meet the requirements that Ty listed with the ported box sized tuned to 28-33hz?

also how much would a box like that cost from you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
Goodie,

That design would work for you given the net for it is 3.0 cu.ft., the only thing I would have to do is redesign the enclosure because the ports for that are tuned at 35hz.

Keep in mind as to what Mr. Kebo said that the enclosure would have to be installed from the inside, so their height and width restrictions that may or may not be an issue for you installing the enclosure per the final designed size.

The enclosure pictured has the overall dims of 34" w x 14" h x 26 1/4" d, these are the numbers you have to concern yourself with in order to fit it thru the opening from inside the cabin into the trunk area.

So, let's work out the spec's and details first before we get into what it will cost.

Drop my an e-mail: woodlawn.cabinetry@verizon.net with that info so i keep keep track of all the info you provide.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us