Crackling sound - assistance needed

Username: Daehkcarc

Post Number: 4
I'll start with the basics. I have a jvc deck, infinity speakers and a MTX Thunder404 amp. I also had a Infinity sub hooked up to the amp until a few weeks ago when it was stolen.
So now I still have my fronts and rears hooked up to 2 channels before, like I did when I had the sub hooked up.
So now the problem... This past week I started getting cracking noises through the speakers, which progressively got worse (however sometimes its fine). It also crackles now even when I have the volume all the way down when turning the head unit on and off. I checked the cabling today and noticed under the back seat that it was fairly wet (where the cables run). I wouldnt think that this would cause a problem, but thought I would mention it. I also made sure all the cabling was secure, and took the ground wire out and made sure the surface of the metal was bare.
Any ideas? Anything else I can check? Does this sound like a fried amp?

Thanks for any and all help. It is greatly appreciated.

- Mike

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5705
You might want to check your speakers. They could be fried.
Also look for cracked cone on the speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1249
adjust balance and fade so that you can listen to and check one speaker at a time.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 527
Looks like your spks are out of the game:-)
Next time make sure you are not clipping your amp:-)

Username: Daehkcarc

Post Number: 5
I tried a few things today that a friend suggested. One was hooking up an MP3 player to the amp to make sure it wasnt the deck, and the other idea was to try one speaker at a time through the amp. At first all the speakers worked fine on one channel, and worked fine with the mp3 player. Then I tried some speakers on a different channel and there was crackling again. BUT, then i retested everything and it seemed to work fine. Now I have all my speakers hooked up how it was, with no noise. So if it isn't the deck, amp or speakers, could there be an issue with the wiring to the speakers? Maybe one of them is shorting out?

- Mike

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 547
Yes it could the wiring, but first you have to single out the woofer(s) that is doing it and go tear it up (the wiring) and see what's up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us