PowerBass ASA 1000.1D
Rockford Fosgate T10001BD
SoundStream PCA1000D
Zapco 1100.1

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 9831
to much work...llooll...do a search and do research on each..and pick the one that is right for you

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1224
PowerBass ASA 1000.1D
Ample Audio A1100DX
I don't have experience with these, but the others are good. Also I have no experience with Zapco, but they are supposed to be the best.

Silver Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 705
Lazy azz

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2246
it'd be alot easier if you just ask what sub/s you have and your budget.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3260
what do you want? output or quality cuz the rockford is good quality and puts 1600w rms lol!

If you're looking for wiring flexibilities then pick the PG or JL.

PPI DCX is pretty good, but they're all good JOEY hehe, just don't choose soundstream, alpine, JBL gto, because they're good but there are better amps on that list.

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

S.F., Cal.

Post Number: 310
Zapco
LinearPower 4.1 HVS
Crossfire
SoundStream

The rest are ok.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3279
Benny boy, that's why i think you're crazy... How in this world soundstream new stuff is going to be better than JL 1000/1, memphis, PPI DCX line....

Hmmmmmm...... Any of those amps are ok, but he needs to tell us what he wants, wiring flexibility, output, built quality, budget... many things

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1166
Zapco The driving force
Elavation Audio
Powerbass (very power hungry)
JL (JL)
Memphis. (Not my favorite brand these days)
Ample
PPI
Then the rest in no particular order.
Whats the point of this excersice again?

Silver Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 717
My friend got the crossfire VR1000D

end thread

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 520
:-)Should have gone with Zapco:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3285
still decent!

Silver Member

S.F., Cal.

Post Number: 311
Sorry juliob, the JL amp have proven to be Unreliable at best!
They sound good, look good and make power when they work! I've seen more blown JL's than any other brand.

And I know of two dealers that dropped the line because so many came back.

So yes, I'd put SoundStream ahead of JL any day.

And Yes! I like crazy! Your not crazy enough(IMO).

Bronze Member
Username: Qbenjamin

Florida

Post Number: 29
If you want durability, any of the US amps are made to last for DECADES they are expensive, but they are very durable and some of the best you can buy. Also all of the DIRECTED products lines are extremely reliable. I just recently sent in my Orion 2400D because it went out on me, and I have had that amp for almost 3 years. My original warranty from directed was only 2 years, and they didn't care. They are going to fix free of charge or replace it with the newer line HCCA d2400. the downside, was that they will have my amp for almost a month. That is something I can deal with though, if a manufacturer is going to stand behind their products so sternly.

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 30
Also, Benny you are right, JL is extremely overrated and over priced. They are good quality amps and subs, but they are only priced so high because of the popularity they have in HOLLYWOOD. I mean come on, they talk about the power that their amps have, and look at their "Big Dogg" 1000/1, it's not even stable at 1ohm? LOL. That's why you see so many stars with like five or six of their amps in their cars, THEY HAVE TO BUY A LOT TO GET TO WHERE THEY NEED TO BE. LOOK at their 12W7, it can only handle 1000w rms.....LOL. My Orion's can handle all of 2000w rms...per sub!!! If you are going to pay all that money for their products at least throw me a couple of benjamin's because that's all your doing is PAYING FOR A NAME!

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 9919
lol^^^all of u guys got a lot to learn

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7352
JL and zapco have the best customer service out of any of those companies hands down! If you ask anyone who knows anything about amps they will agree that JL amps have an incredible build quality. Have you guys ever listened to a ppi a300,a600, or a1200? For most of you on here you were to young to appreciate a good think if it hit you in the face, but for those of you who have will agree they are arguably the best amps ever made. Guess what guys? The same guy that designed that incredible line of amps also developed the JL "slash" series amps. The specs are top notch, s/n ratio,slew rae,damping factor, ect..... The new soundstream unless you are talking about their top line equipment is GARBAGE! yup I said it, outsourced CRAP! JL amps would wipe their a$$es with soundstream, hifonics,power craptastic, ect... Don't hate JL because you can't afford it! There is a reason they are so expensive, for the same reason ferrari's are so expensive! hollywood has absolutely nothing to do with it at all! It has to do with excellent products for over 15 years, and superb customer service and satisfaction. is there better then the w7? absolutely but thats not the topic at hand its amps. JL make excellent amps and to say that a $199 1000 watt soundstream piece of garbage will outperform a jl 1000/1 would make you a crack head in my book, an unknowledgable crack head at that. If you want top notch JL subs look at the w6v2, possibly one of the best SQ driver produced today. Don't hate on a company you know nothing about! I am not a JL fan boy, I just know a great product when I see it. Chauncey was right you have a lot to learn. You say that Their flagship series amps arnt even stable at 1 ohm? why do they need to be? anything that you can wire to 1 ohm you can wire to 4 ohms and get the same amount of power. do me a favor, go to www.bcae1.com and do some reading up because your lack of knowledge is sickening!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7353
bump damnit

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1996
OH SHUT UP JAMES, you ain't old enough, lol. JL blows big chunks and the only reason they are valued is because of there marketing hype. They do have excellent customer service, I'll give you that but so does PG, Kicker, Alpine, RF, Zapco and Soundstream. They also have an excellent build quality BUT that is where it ends, there reliability sucks the big wazooo. Hoenstly the JBL, JL and Alpine are ok for the peeps who are lazy enough and do not want to upgrade there electrical, I believe those brands use regulated powersupplies so the voltage drop is negligable. Ample audio obviously isn't ample enough, you can tell just by the name and Powerbase probably falls under that pretence as well. The RF, PG and Kicker will all serve you well, produce there rated and maybe a little more. THe Zapco is the king of them all, obviously and have been around a very long time. Now PPI has been around as a company and so has Xtant but there quality has fallen and the fact the PPI is a class D means the sound quality isn't going to be any better than the above D class amps. The new Zapco's with there class T stage and filters make them useable for "full range". Now if you go and get an old school, mid 80's PPI multi channel amp, they are pretty damn clean but an A\D\S will smoke the sh!t out of them all in pure sound quality, FACT... Polo.. <----Old Man...

Upload

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7358
lol Polo! old a/d/s was amazing I couldnt agree more. Not everyone wants to run 4000 watts so in the 1000 watt amp range out of the ones mentioned JL and zapco are the best. I am talking built quality, sound quality, customer service, and reliability. Old Soundstream is amazing, and I am currently running a reference 12 and reference 300 right now:-) but like ppi soundstream went the outsourcing route and now make a unreliable product AT BEST! I love kicker I think they make a fantastic product, and I am a huge fan of Zapco's class T series amps also the symbalink aswell. JL makes a great product, if you dont want to pay for it don't! they wont cry over it I guarentee you!

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1997
Well James, the JL amp mentioned above is a class "D" no A, B or A/B so its sound quality is in the toilet along with the other class D's. Now the output on them are limited, electronically to produce its rated and NO MORE, guarranteed. That is great if you have a stock elec system and do not want to upgrade, fine. JL's build quality and customer service, your right one of the best. Now there power for dollar is wayyyy to high and there reliability is not that great. You can get the same features, better reliability and more power per dollar if you have a good elec system with a lil less build quality from a PG X1200.1 . Also another thing that sucks with JL's products, you can only use that amp with there own dam subs hence that weird @ss load configuration of what 1.5ohm-3ohm, WTF is that sh!t? Its not the fact that people don't have the money for the it but why when you can get an amp that gives you much more for your money. JMHO Polo.. :-)

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 32
LOL @ you talking like your everybody's dad or some crap. For one saying that I don't know what I am talking about is extremely foolish on your part, as I have worked at a Mobile install shop and have seen tons of JL amps come back for repair. I am not saying at all that they are of poor quality but they are knowhere near as powerful as they need to be, selling them at that price. Just because something is priced ridiculously high doesn't mean it's the best either. You comparison to a Ferrari is pretty stupid too. why would I spend $150,000 on a Ferrari, when I could get an Aston Martin for about 20 G's cheaper? Aston Martin sh!+s all over Ferrari. LOL. I had 2 of the JL 1000/1 amps on my Subs and they were okay at best. That's when I was introduced to the Directed line of products. two of the 2400D= the same price as 1 of the JL 1000/1 and they hit much harder than the JL amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3309
THEN you guys say i'm a newbie and i don't know what i'm talking about.

JL is overpriced for sure, but you must not doubt about the quality.

If you doubt about it like benny boy and quintin, then you guys need to learn more.

JL is way better than new soundstream. I'm pretty sure everyone will agree with me on this one.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1998
lOOK ABOVE, nobody doubting quality, it is VALUE that we are ranting about. Soundstream is sh!t we all know that.. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3314
well polo, you're a wise man and you know the deal. But these guys prefer a soundstream over a JL. I don't understand that. If i can afford both, i'd pick JL with their overrated price and their awesome customer service and quality.

Benny boy and quintin are doubting, well... Jl is a very good brand.

Silver Member

S.F., Cal.

Post Number: 314
Great subs,not so good with there amps.If you gave me a JL Amp, it would be on ebay in one hour!

SS makes good and bad amps. I stopped using them because there now making them to big to fit under most seats.
Lately I've been real happy with Crossfire and find the SQ to be tops.
I did a simple install of a VR404 and VR401 and the SQ is as good as I've heard. also has plenty of power.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7363
I never said anything about value Polo! When I mentioned the 1000/1 I mentioned that because that what was reffered to I was talking about the "slash" sewries as a whole. You are right about the class D's but the a/b's are very nice amps. and the ohm configuration is 1.5 ohms to 4 ohms not 3 ohms. there is not a set-up that can be run at 1 ohm that cant be run at 4 ohms it doesnt matter the ohm configuration with the jl's thats why they are nice. Hey Quinten Ashtin over ferrari is all a matter of prefference its the same with Bentley or rolls. Julio is correct out of all the amps mentioned JL is in the top 5 without a doubt, I dont care how many you have installed and seen crap the bed I havnt seen many, and for all I know you can;t install for the life of you. I am not saying you can't but for all I know you can't. Even if they did sh!t the bed JL is more then happy to replace quickly. Thats the great part of good customer service.

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 732
"JL blows big chunks and the only reason they are valued is because of there marketing hype" <You really need to stop smoking rocks man...I currently don't own any JL products but shi± when I go for my SQL set up in the future I'll be running JL for a reason,all you guys can talk all the shi± you wan't because you can't afford or don't want to spend the money on JL but in the long run JL is no joke and will put a lot of other amps and subs to shame.So go ahead and miss out on great products but I won't.One last thing...the value of JL products is very good when it comes to their amps,the subs need to come down in price though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3330
benny boy, i like crossfire too. And hope you guys don't say JL audio is bad.

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 33
Again, read the whole thread before you respond to any 1 individual. NOBODY is saying JL audio is BAD, however we are saying that you can get other products with more power for a lot less than the JL line. And James if you think JL is the best, then your sadly mistaken with that comment too. US Amps/Zapco products > JL........I am not even gonna bring up Nakamichi either, but their quality is unbelieveable, but they are much more expensive than JL products.

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 735
"Again, read the whole thread before you respond to any 1 individual. NOBODY is saying JL audio is BAD" Quintin you might want to learn how to read.Someone in this thread clearly says JL is bad.Either learn how to read before you post or don't post at all.Thanks Quintin,we all appreciate it.

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 210
thats an ugly pig lol

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1258
just get Lanzar OptiLive and every thing will be okay. right juliob? way better that JL.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2007
Who you callin ugly?

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3331
yeah lucas, i will. Thanks for your advice, now you're a better person. I hope you enjoy your L7s.

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 590
OK guys PLEASE DO NOT COMPARE ZAPCO WITH JL, it's day and night OK?
JL is overpriced - FACT
Check this out and compare the two amps and their prices:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=599

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=247

LMFAO, JL is on sale???:-):-):-)
This one is an absolute NOBRAINER:-)

To do what JL does on the marketing side of it COSTS A LOT OF MONEY:-) Now where is that money coming from??? From the JL customers:-)

How can anybody ever say that JL comps sound good??? For example this set:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3339

And now all you smartarss peeps out there compare it to this Zapco (ESB) set:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4967

I have heard ESB products before and I have heard JL ZR many times, there is no comparison:-)
LMFAO about the ZR price tag:-)

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1259
juliob you only wish you had some L7's. FYI I'm running 4 Eclipse Ti 12"'s. I've outgrew L7's.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 9939
IMO...zapco comps are not would that should be....when comparing them to their amps...but thats how every company is...nobody makes good everything..

ex...Pioneer, i would only buy their Hu's
ex...Zapco, i would only buy their Amps

also, It really depends on what ur trying to do....I can think of a system where that JL would be best, and i can think of a system where the zapco would be best....both are great amps regardless of price.....And as James pointed out..JL has the best customer service in the business. i mean whats the use of a warranty if they will not honor it?? JL always will if you buy from an authorized dealer...

So it comes down to what your willing to pay...Whats the opportunity cost to U???

Gold Member

Post Number: 3334
yeah yeah lucas, just stop posting and STFU

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7373
I agree Chauncey! And Quentin I stated before I am not a JL fanboy They just have a all around great product! So again READ before you post!!!!!!! The comparison isnt with JL and Zapco here Maris as much as it is JL and the others mentioned. Everyone here know's Zapco is on the top of the list out of them amps mentioned. As for the rest of them thats what I am talking about. Also Quintin We are not talking about more power for the money we were talking about a amp vs another amp lets keep it apples to apples here buddy not a 1000 watt amp to a 2500 watta amp.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7374
And Yes Nakamichi is incredible stuff but wasnt mentioned, I could mention a few other brands that are amazing that were not mentioned either but that is not the topic at hand! I am not gonna talk about Tru tech,Sinfoni,Rainbow,ect... because they were not mentioned! Also Nakamichi's largest amp is 400x2 not in the same catagory of the amps we have been talking about.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Chrome Dip it & Ship i...

Post Number: 8464
hands down....Zapco(ref) beats JL...

DLS beats JL...

Arc beats JL...

and ALL of their amps cost less than JL...so why do people still buy JL??????

*adding fuel to the fire*

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2019
Most of the amps up there are class D so they aren't going to sound any different from one another and are only suitable for sub operation. Buying the JL isn't going to make it sound any better and is only in my opinion suitable for show queens and people with a lower output elec system, they are not a high current item and definately not suitable for SPL because of there power limiting abilities. Most people here know better than to spend that much money on a pretty amp and not have the output of a lower end model, we like excess and we want it for free. I wished my amp was up there (Kicker sx1250.1) because I would pick it even over the Zapco, JL wouldn't even come close to the performance. You see, a lot of people aren't all caught up on looks and fluff as this is what JL makes there amps out of, they use the same parts/labor and regardless of what they say there amps or parts are still made away from the US and this is a fact, most of the semiconductors that go into out electronics are made overseas. Get this, they aquire parts from overseas and assemble it here and they called it built in the USA, BS. Treo says they are made in the USA but they use VC made overseas, hmmmm. I would take a well built Korean amp any day over a high priced wanna be made in the US of A amp! Everything is built to specs wether it be here or there, honestly the overseas market does electronics better than we do and if you notice Americans are lazy, they also sut corners to save money so if you look at a JL amp and see no corners cut, then I bet the corners being cut are inside of the case out of view of the consumer. Kicker uses a conservative casing but if you open one up, it is beutifull and has chrome rails holding the output fets to the heatsink! Just like a woman, you don't marry the most gorgeous broad out there, chances are her chassis has been abused, lol. Same for amps, you have to open them up to see the quality, can't judge it by its wrapper. JMHO..Polo. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 8465
good read^^

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7376
well I would run a JL amp anyday of the week, They are not overrated they are infact underrated Polo so when you say it willnever put out any more power then 1000 watts that is wrong because I just bench tested one about an hour ago for this thread and got 1197 watts at all voltage from 11.4 to 14.4 and at all ohms from 1-4. That is a nice piece of equipment if you ask me. So you are saying that all amps because they are built with overseas products infact makes them the same build quality or BETTER lol then a USA build quality? I completely disagree with you there man. So I will humor you and say that they are all made of the same build quality, so it goes down to customer service which hands down goes to JL and value. Jl is expensive but having the ability to put out 1000 watts at 4 ohms, 3ohms,2ohm2,and 1.5ohms is a nice bonus especially at the rate most people change up their set-ups. I am done with this thread it is all a matter of opinions kind of like arguing over SQ when everyone's ear is different. So say what you want I like JL and would run them any day of the week, maybe its not your cup of tea thats fine it's no sweat of their backs believe me they wont be crying for your business there are plenty people out there that know a good thing when they see it.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2024
"So say what you want I like JL and would run them any day of the week."

Ya, and your the only one! Hahahaha... :-O Polo..

PS- Most everyone else here knows better than to run an amp that will never benefit from a HO alt, the others just know when to keep quiet....

Upload

Sorry, I couldn't resist........

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 736
""So say what you want I like JL and would run them any day of the week."

Ya, and your the only one! Hahahaha... :-O Polo.."

I'll be right there running JL with him.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7381
Polo you think I give a SH!T about what most of the 17 year olds on this forum will run? the answer is no, I will never have the need for anymore then 1000 watts to a sub EVER! I am not a BASSHEAD like you and the rest of the guys arguing here. Apparently Rob, Chauncey and I know otherwise. Now I am Done but I know you arnt Polo because you apparently KNOW IT ALL, atleast in your own head you do!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5710
JL is not over rated. It may be in the high price range for lot of starters/high school kids, but you get what you pay for.
With subs, Class D and Class AB will sound the dame. I doubt anyone can tell SQ difference by ear alone.
However, I prefer to power all my stuff with Class AB amps.
Before someone brings up "watt is a watt" theory, read up on "quality." 1000w from Pyramid will NEVER be the same as Zapco/JL. Main reason is, Zapco/JL will deliver clean power, whereas, Pyramid may give you 1000w for few seconds before it blows, along with tons of distortion/clipping.
When it comes to dollars, that is what you're really paying for. They all say 1000w, but only the ones built built with quality in mind, will last at the end.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3338
the point of the thread wasn't about JL against other amps.

The point was about the quality of JL, good or bad?

i'd say good. End of the thread

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7382
agreed, Hey isaac long time no see bud hows Canada treating you these days?

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1260
Hey James I'm curious. Could you post your test results?

So by my calculations the amp puts out approx:
70 Volts@4Ohm
49 Volts@2Ohm
35 Volts@1Ohm

Does this sound about right?

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 37
James claimed that he benched tested a JL amp @ 1ohm, your so full of $h!+. None of their amps are stable at 1 ohm. Please tell us that you ran it for about thirty minutes or so, so we can really see how much of a liar you are.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 9957
^^Almost positive he meant 1.5-4ohm.

and "None of their amps are stable at 1 ohm"....so any setup that can be ran @1ohm can be ran at 1.5-4ohms..so big deal

Gold Member

Post Number: 8475

quote:

With subs, Class D and Class AB will sound the dame. I doubt anyone can tell SQ difference by ear alone.
However, I prefer to power all my stuff with Class AB amps.

i am NOT trying to contradict what you say, or pick it apart in any way, shape, or form. but EVERY BODY says that^^^^, but all the big time SQ heads run a/b amps!!!!!!!!!! that says something. lol

Silver Member

S.F., Cal.

Post Number: 315
Class AB is better for SQ than D even with subs!

I sold my Crossfire BMF1000D an installed a VR401. the 401 sounds much better! I dont know why but the bass is more controled with a faster/tighter sound. the 1000d just thru out tons of power but did not sound anywhere near as good as the 401 AB amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8480
maybe it is just my life experience. i have never heard an install with Class D amps that had that clean sound that i look for in a sub. except for one.....but maybe they were a/b amps...not sure. it was 2 15" DLS Iridium Subs in a V-dub Golf....omg. :-):-):-):-)

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1263
The brothers in my hood stole my class D amp so I used bridged up an A/B that I had and I could tell the difference. It sounded much cleaner and it was on L7 subs too.

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 593
Chauncey,
All respect to your thought regarding companies being good only with certain things - you are right. The thing is Zapco comps are made by an Italian company ESB - a high aen transducer manufacturer, their motor designs are above JL no doubt:-)
Just like Alpine - they could not make a good speaker so they contracted Scan Speak for their F1 line:-)
Zapco would never put their reputable name on crappy product:-) ESB is great!
Muddy - you are the best:-)
Well all I can say about JL for a fact is OVERPRICED THROUGH THE ROOF:-)

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 739
I have to dissagree with you Maris.I think the W7's are overpriced but I think the amps are great for the money.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5711
Hey James, been busy with things. Canada's been good so far. No major storms yet.
As for Class AB sounding better than Class D, go to Zapco's website and check out C2K. Their 2000w and 4kw are both class D.
If you adjust the xover on both amps so that they're both flat and then test it by ear, you will NOT be able to tell any difference.
Unless you have ears that are better than a dog, don't bet your money on them.
For all those that bash JL, take a time out from your schedule and test one out. Compare it with an amp/sub of your choice. Make sure the environment is identical so that your test results won't be biased/skewed to one brand.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1265
Isaac I had no idea that you were a hoser. lol jk. I bet it gets freaking cold, huh?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us