Help!!! how to get rid of altenator noise

Bronze Member
Username: Motomattic3

Post Number: 70
I'm getting altenator noise in my front speakers(JL xr650-csi) and am running them through a JL 300/4. I was told a farad cap would help filter it out but that don't work. so im thinking that maybe im picking it up through the head unit any suggestions about how to get rid of the noise?

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 841
Some say RCAs are to close to power wire (cannot confirm) I also have a bit (at low volum you can hear) Almost sounds like a little turbo winding down...I just crank up the tunes and make it inaudible.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 3654
check your amp's ground.
make sure all the paint is sanded off the contact point the wire make w/ the car.

also...make sure you RCA's are not pinched at any point.

make sure the HU also has a good ground...sometimes the ground used in the wire-harness isnt enough. Re-ground the HU if needed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
well i know the grounds are good it used to not make any noise it started to though around a month ago. when my cousin reversed polaritied my amp cause it was dark outside and he didn't check it. we took mine out to check out his cause he was having problems with it and he screwed up mine when he put it back in.but JL fixed it under warrenty and ever since there's been teriable altenator noise. the ground on the HU is just the stock ground.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3121
you can try a ground loop isolator.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5694
Kyle, try this, take out the rca cable for the rear and see if the problem goes away. Most likely caused by DC difference between your front and rear.
No matter how small the difference, it will cause alternator noise.
Do a google search and you'll see some articles.

Silver Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 844
Isaac any way to fix that?

Username: Yallsop

Provo, Utah

Post Number: 2
my truck had the same problem, i moved the rca to the opposite side of the truck from the power wires to the amp and the noise stopped.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
hmm, well I switched the front and rear rca's and I think the rca for the front is bad cause when i switched it from front to rear the rear ones made the noise and the front ones didn't with the rear rca's but I'll know more tomorrow when I go to buy some new rca's

Gold Member

Post Number: 5698
Mike the only way to fix the alternator noise in 4 channel operation is to eliminate the small DC voltage that's appearing between the front and the rear. Some amps like Xtant, comes with ground loop filter. I've personally tested it, and works great. You can also get a ground loop isolator and use it on the problem channel.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Its not the rca's so its eitheir a bad ground or the channel on the deck is bad

Silver Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 847
Not to knowledgable with ground loops, where do you put the ground loop isolator? Easy to do?

thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 5703
It installs between the HU and the amp. For example, if the rear channels are causing the noise, then install it on the rear channels. Basically it only allows AC signal to pass through.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
well i just tried the ground loop isolator and so far so good theres no noise as far as i can tell. but well see...

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

S.F., Cal.

Post Number: 309
Power from battery, ACC source= Relay from battery.
Dont run power or rca's near any computers(ICU,ECU,ect.)

Should do it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us