JL Audio XR650 CSI

Username: Danmasta

Post Number: 1
Im looking to replace the speakers in my 2003 altima.. I have the stock Bose system, which is really flat with harsh highs and distorted bass. I've been looking for new speakers, and i think i've decided on the Jl Audio Xr650 CSI components for the front, and the VR 690 CXI 6x9s for the rear deck. I want to know what people think of the JL's XR series. I like clean highs and separation. I like to listen to a lot of accoustic music with piano and violin. I also like sorts of folk music like Nickel Creek.. but at the same time i like Rock such as Ok Go.

I want to get the best sounding speakers i possibly can. I plan on buying this stuff on ebay for around $200 a pair of speakers, I also want to get the JL Audio Slash series 300/4 amp. but as of right now i have the stock bose amp which will be connected to the new speakers temporarily.

If anyone has better speaker advice for getting good clean highs and mids please let me know :-)

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 4114
I whould recommend you check out CDT Audio HD 62 set.

You can get a great deal thru alteraudio on here. They are just as good as the JL XR's if not better.

If your mainly replacing the stock speakers for the new speakers then i whould go with CDT all day over the JL's. The JL's sound best with kickpods with the tweeter high in the door panel. The CDT's are a more flexible set and well sound great even with a regular install with less headache and extra expenses.

Post Number: 2
well i have components right now with the tweeter high on the door, near the windshield. the sub is in the door panel near the feet. How come CDT's are better?

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 470
MO is right. Actually, JL is not that great when it comes to component sets, I am positive CDT HD's would take a p:ss over JL XR's.
Well, I would not put tweets high in the door panel, I would rather have them in a pillars, kicks or together with the mids in the door panel.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 9736
i agree with mo and maris...if ur looking for comps..look somewhere besides jl...there decent but better can be had for the money.....there amps are the best thing they make..imo

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 474
Hmm, Chauncey you are up early as hell:-)
...and since their amps can fairly easily be beaten by, say, the discontiued PG Titanium, then it comes out that JL is not really in the high end league period:-)...

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 9737
beaten in what way???and yeah PG Titaniums same with Xenons where nice...and no there not as good as let say..

Brax,Helix,Celestra,Phass, etc. But the JL's are great amps...but when i look into buying an amp...i no that within each amps limits a watt is a watt....you are paying for the name, quality, and if the amp will put out what it says it will

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 492
Well, amplification is not JUST amplification (that would be heaven), that indeed is the problem that amplifiers "add" coloration (more or less) to the signal, then of course there are "slow" amps, "fast" amps etc. So "watt is a watt" is a bold statement.
But of course PG Titanium are not as good as Brax etc., I've had a C2K myself (and I would say it's above Helix:-)) all I was saying that $=$ and if I were to pick between JL (the super duper high end "slash" series lol) and PG Titanium then I would not think even a second and grab the PG. I've listened to both running same set of comps and there is an audible difference. Sucks, they don't make them anymore. Titanium is a faster, cleaner, more accurate amp JL.

Well, Xenons are not bad, but I would not put them together with Titaniums:-)
Now PG is goin' all to hell.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Detroit

Post Number: 721
i'm going to call bullshitt on the "amp coloration" comment and on the "there is an audible difference" comment.

if not, then take both to richard clark and win $10K. i know i could use 10 grand if i was so confident.

the difference you probably heard was due to gain settings, crossover/eq settings on both the amp and head unit, or simply power differences between the two amps.

this, of course, is just my opinion. feel free to google and read up on richard clark's amplifier challenge for more extensive arguements.

but being this is ecoustics, i'm sure this post will just be disregarded/ignored and the popular ignorance will continue. cool.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Detroit

Post Number: 722
oh, and back to the topic at hand.

the JL XR650-CSi are great components for their price. I personally run them with their recommended 70w rms each, installed in QForm kick panels, and the sound/imaging is fantastic. the top end needs some slight EQing, but once properly done, there's nothing but great detail and no harshness. My only problem is that since I have them installed in QForms, they are lacking in midbass purely because they are in an open-back plastic panel. soon i will be adding dedicated midbass drivers to the doors for roughly 75-150Hz. but if you are installing these components in the doors or custom fiberglass enclosures, you will not have this same midbass problem i am having.

another thing to consider as well. they also have a steep crossover point, and perform the best when installed with the tweeter/midrange close together. kickpanels are ideal.

overall, going against the above posts, the XR's are a great component set to consider for the price range of around $250.

Silver Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 971
god dam u jl hatters,

i must say i have never heard cdt audio before but if i was you i would go with jl audio. i have never heard anything from them that was bad and i have never heard anyone who owns there stuff, complain. so thats why i would go with jl audio, its a name i trust tha has never let me down.

but thats just my opinoin and by the way i have heard the jl xr650's and i thought they sounded awsome.

also my opinoin

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 501
The only thing that I can give JL is consistency:-). Have have never sucked too bad and they have never been high end. I have owned a 10W6V2 and a couple of the slash series amps, not impressed at all. Their components = total crap. Just a couple of weeks ago I listened to the ZR set against Focal K2P set on a demo board, both running of a Focal amp. Free air, no reflections from the back, nothing and the ZR's were just a shame compared to the K2P's. Come on guys, I've had MB Quart RSD213 set ($130 on line) powered by PPI Art404, went to the local Soundwaves, they listened to it and p:ssed their pants and then I discovered why - we got into their car with XR's in it and there was no comparison - it was an absolute crap for the price tag. If anyone thinks that XR's sound awsome, that simply means that they have no reference system to compare it to. IMHO:-)

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 4116
I agree with Maris on the components by JL but as far as the w6v2's i dont agree.

I have owned 10w6v2's and the 12w6v2's and both are very impressive SQ subwoofers.

Always depends on the install

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3155
i think JL XRs are great for the money. and their slash amps are definetly far above average. i would even call them great. they offer outstanding performance, build, and ease of use. yes, there is better, but lets be real here. owner of stereo rama said he really liked the ZRs, one of his favorites that he carried, but once he got the zapco componenents in he changed his mind lol. not saying XR is better than CDT... but im also not syaing JL components are crap... some people just hate JL because they are mainstream....

Post Number: 3
I checked out the CDT hd 62's and they were like $500 a pair. that's too much money for me. I listened to the jl audio ZR and XR series components on a demo board and the two were pretty comparable, the main difference being that the ZR's have crispier sounding highs better imaging. i compared the XR's with every other component set up they had and they sounded better than everything else, including Polk Audio, K2P, and JBL.

also.. i meant to say that my tweeter is actually on the pillar, not high on my door panel.

Bronze Member
Username: Motomattic3

Post Number: 84
I own JL xr 650-csi(Front) and a set of xr570cxi(rear) and a slash series 300/4 and I realy love how it sounds the highs are realy clean clear great mids to. I listen to rock and metal but I also really enjoy acoustic classical guitar riffs being a player myself I can appriciate the complexity of it. I listen to piano riffs as well. I have a JL 12w6v2 powerd by a e1400d to pick up the low's. which hits super clean and precise. I would recomend the JL's to you but I don't know if I would cop out and put VR's in the back -I was actualy going to do that when I was first planing my audio system- but why spend the money on the xr's and not have the fill of the same quality. otherwise the having xr's and vr's might bring down your listening experiance. the JL speakers powerd by the 300/4 go rediculusly high and never lose there quality everyone that heres my system just can't believe how clear it is even when its jacked so high that the neighbors down town can hear you the clarity is just outstanding.

one thing I would consider though is your monting depth when I first got mine I had to make a spacer to bring it out more becuse it would hit my window or when i rolled down my window it would hit the speaker. but when I brought it out the door panel was in the way so I had to do some cutting to it to get it to fit. to check the depth available go to

http://www.mobiletoys.com/partners/jbl/index.asp

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 589
Why would you want a rear fill anyway?
Loud and clear is the easy part of SQ (babysteps). Loud, clear AND accurate is the hard part:-)

Post Number: 4
what about putting the XR components in the front doors and getting some 6.5" coaxials (possibly the XR650 CXI's) for the rear doors? along with the XR 5x7's for the rear deck.

also, I heard that you are under no circumstances supposed to put the tweeters more than 6 inches away from their woofers. my tweeters now are placed on the windshield pillar and the woofer is in the door panel. that's easily almost 2 feet apart. I would think that having the tweeters closer to ear level would be best, even if it is farther away from the woofer. any thoughts?

and why the hell does everyone seem to hate JL? anyone who has ever listened to them or tested them says that they sound amazing in all aspects and are great all around speakers. Most people seem to agree that JL's amps and subs are among the best out there, but at the same time everyone seems to have such a biased opinion about their speakers.

I'm not too worried about the rear deck, I just use it for fill now, I dont have subs and the 6x9's seem to do an ok job... but I would take great steps in order to make my audio sound as clear and accurate as possible. I just might have to buy everything in steps, as my budget allows ;)

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 600
Rule #1:
The more drivers you have the bigger pain in the arss it is to an accurate image and stage:-)
Just put comps in the front, power them properly, put some small sub(s) in the back - you are set.
Yes you can put your tweets more than 6" away from the mids, only thing is - you might have to allign the phases. If done right, it can sound good both ways - with tweets in the kicks or tweets in the pillars.
JL this JL that, tell me, how many people compete and win with JL comps in SQ competitions???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
I really don't know who wins comps I never been to one. I got the JL's cause I liked how they sounded I like polk to but decided to go with the JL's Its my only my second sound system and I think I'll try the polks next. but I love my sound system and thats all there is to it.

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1324
you could probably just email me and see how much a set of CDT HD-62 are. I am partial to JL but I think you need to mix and match their drivers. I prefer the XR mid but like the VR tweeter better. I do prefer their amps over their speakers. Their subs are quite consistent but not as low of a beater as I like. The W7 has a good low end but then again the price is a killer. But if you're interested in CDT email me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
how would you rate a w7 to an IDMAX I've heard there better but not even hearing either of them I really don't know.I have the 12w6v2

Bronze Member
Username: Teamdeboy1971

LAFOLLETTE, TN CAMPBELL

Post Number: 27
What subs could you get for 350, 15" thats a good deal for the $$$$

Username: Samirp

Post Number: 2
Hi Everyone,
Quite an interesting conversation about JL components. I have an Alpine 9857 HU and about to invest into component speakers for the front, coaxials for the back and an amplifier.

I was initially going to go with the Alpine Type S components, coax and 350W amp. The store however, recommended JL Audio VR comps and coax with a JL amplifier 60x4. I have a Nissan Pathfinder with the Bose system. This would all run approx $1200.

I listened to the speakers and they do sound crisp, however to me probably every aftermarket one does. This is not familiar territory and I feel like I'm in Tiger Country. Can anybody help with recommendations?

Bronze Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 32
What's your budget (ps you dont need rear coax's). JL will cost you a pretty penny....there's better stuff out there for the money. Alpine Type S's suck.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your reply. My budget is no higher $1200, which is what the guy quoted for the JL Audio system installed with tax. I really don't want to go higher than that. Thanks for ruling out Alpine Type S's for me.

I don't need rear Coax's?! The one's in the car are the factory speakers that have their own amp as part of the Bose system. I am currently bypassing that amp via a harness. I was thinking that while I'm doing all these upgrades it's a good idea to change it all.

Looking forward to your reply.

Samir

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1005
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html

you could always just get a set of good midbass drivers.

i suppose you could say there if better out there for the money but if you buy jl audio you wont be disapointed.

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 690
Holy sh:t - your budget is $1200 (amp + components) and JL was what you were considering???
FORGET about the rearfill.
DLS Iridium set and Arc Audio amp - all bought on ebay and you will have money left over to pay for install:-)
You could even get Seas Lotus Reference set and get, say, this amp to power it:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=464

My point is - there are much, much better sets out there for that budget, it would be a sin to buy JL, plus at a dealer you would be paying insane amounts of money for insane products:-)

Post Number: 4
Maris,
Thanks a lot for your help. I've been searching the internet and reading all the information I can get. I consider myself fairly intelligent but at this point my brain is getting fried.

I take it that you feel that $ 1200 is a liberal budget. Of course I'd like this project to be as cheap as possible, but I also would like to get it right the first time around.

So I have looked at the CDT, Seas, Arc Audio and DLS websites.

CDT looks like has good components and also has a component / amp combo deal. Plus they have some imaging thing that they keep pushing.

DLS Iridium and Seas look like your strongest recommendation for component speakers

Arc Audio has four different lines of amplifiers - which one to get is beyond me.

Could I be bold enough and just ask you what combination of amplifier and components do you recommend from these?

The system does not need to be loud enough that the windows rattle and all that. Just good sound for good money is all that I ask.

I hope you can help.

Samir

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 695
Samir,
If you go with Seas or DLS you need a 2ch amp that gives you at least 2x100w @ 4ohm stereo.
Actually, 2x200w would not be bad either, just keep the gain below rated output that's it.
For the amps:
Arc Audio - go with the XXK like:
http://www.arcaudio.com/arc-05/amplifiers/xxk_2100.htm
Or you can go with the Arc Audio SE series, but I think they cost a bit more.
There are many good amps out there, you could also consider:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=597

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=405

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=464

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogn o=CA23

...and others:-)

Regarding the components - go with Seas Lotus Reference, they will cost a bit more than DLS Iridium, but they are worth it:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us