Complete newbie... please help.

Username: Catalyst

Post Number: 1
Okay, here is my problem. I am looking to put 2 6x9s in my car for some added bass. Before everyone starts saying buy a sub let me explain. I don't want people to hear me comming a mile away. I just want some nice sounding bass inside the car. As far as I can see 6x9s are about what I am looking for. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some decent 6x9s with nice bass. I was looking at a pair of Alpine type S, but I hear the type R is alot better. Should I go with the type r or scrap Alpine all together? I am going to buy an amp to hook up my 6x9s and a pair of 6.5 in my hatch. I have a pair of 6.5 in the front doors I am going to power with my head unit (88 rms)Again this probably sound very elementary to most of you guys, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I listen to mostly rock and a scattering of rap here and there.

Silver Member
Username: Thumping_corsica

Saginaw, miUnitd states

Post Number: 109
88 rms by 4??? thats a powerful hu:-)

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3088
yeah, 22w per channel, and if your turn it up, your going to get distorted power and sound, no matter what speaker you put in it, if you wnat no sub, then at least put an amp on the speakers you put in.

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

Post Number: 172
i got the jl audio TS 6" in the door and 6x9 in the rear hatch and those speakers give me good bass without a sub but im the kind of person who i want you to hear me coming so they arent enough for me and my speakers arent even on a amp they are powered by my headunit 18x4 i paid 280 for my speaks with 1 year warranty from JL, i like them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
oops JL audio TR*****

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info derek. I will deffinatly look into those speakers. Do you have them mounted on the deck or in boxes? I dont have anywhere to mount 6x9s, so Ill have to put them in boxes.

Post Number: 3
Also, the amp I am getting is a 110rms x2 soundstream. Anyone had any good experiences with soundstream?

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
i've got em mounted into the factory spot in the rear deck

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 461
Well, Soundstream is not the top shelf, but it will do the job.
If you want some bass why don't you put in a couple of 8" subs, it's not like you have to crank them plus they will give a nice fill and over all it will sound better if you have some what nice spks in the front.

Remember - subs don't always mean super loud bass.

Post Number: 4
hmmm that acctualy makes me rethink my set up. I have to put the 6x9s in boxes since I don't have anywhere to mount them and the will be in my hatch. So I probably won't get very good sound out of them as far as music goes... (being lower than the back seat and all the way at the back of the car.) Thanks for the advice Maris. Any suggestions on some 8"?

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 467
Adam,
I think you should look at Image Dynamics, CDT, even JL, DLS.
In my opinion it will be hard to get better value than this:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3340

They will give you a nice fill and they don't require large amounts of power.

Username: Redwards

Regina/Kelowna, Sask./B.C. Canada

Post Number: 3
can't you buy/make a piece to set across your trunk space? i know my old hatchback had one that i set my 6x9's in and it worked well... until they blew out.

Silver Member
Username: Pike110

Post Number: 217
Adam,
Listen to Maris... those cdt's would be perfect for what you want. You could use one or two. You are not going to get a lot of people on here that agree with the use of 6x9's over a small sub. If you get some good speakers in the front and one small sub in the back with small amps on them, I think that would be really what you are after. IMO

Post Number: 5
wow.. thanks guys for all the input. I have been looking into a pair of 8's for my hatch and I think that's exactly what I want. I am so glad I came here before I spent 1-200 on a good pair of 6x9s. Maris, thanks for that link too. I have already ordered 2 and should have them in a few days. Now how do you guys suggest I mount them? Should I scrap my 6.5 in the back and put them in there with an adapter plate or should I put them in boxes? And if boxes, does it matter if they are ported or not?

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 493
Put them in a sealed box, contact CDT for proper box dimensions, well the box specs will be in the manual for the drivers as well. There are a lot of ported box fans on this forum, however, I always go sealed:-). Ported is more efficient (louder), BUT if you do it wrong it will not sound too good plus ported box would be a bit larger then sealed so trunkspace will suffer. Sealed is perfect for what you want - nice, tight fill.

Enjoy the music:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us