6.5 Component Help

Bronze Member
Username: Kober

Post Number: 29
I'm wondering what some pretty nice 6.5 Component set ups are?

I recently heard the Diamond D6s and another Diamond set back to back. The D6s didnt sound bright enough for me, or like the midbass was sloppy. The other pair was too bright or unrealistic sounding, and not enough low end..But the guy said you can get the d6s in a aluminum tweeter, so they're more bright????

I'm trying to pick which brand to go with first..JL XR,Rainbows lower end mayby? DLS, Seas, Peerless,CDT,D6s..Got no idea really. I'm a big fan of JL so I was thinking about trying to find a pair of XRs to listen to.

Guy at audio shop didnt even consider anything under the XR's for Components with JL. He suggested the D6s more than anything. I like it natural sounding, but if anything a little bright than too soft or in the middle. You know what I mean?

Bronze Member
Username: Bassgalore

Post Number: 91
Get in touch with alteraudio and see what he can do for you

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1312
The XRs have a good midrange but I don't like the tweeter. I prefer the VR silk tweeter. Diamonds are nice also. If you are interested in CDTs feel free to ask any questions to me, sales@alteraudiousa.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Well what do you suggest? They're going in a Tahoe..not any custom encolsures. I like a little high end remember..I had some CDT's in my rear doors, 6.5s but on a deck, so I didn't get to hesr them fully at all...

Gold Member

Concord

Post Number: 1331
I would go HD-62s for the front and CL-6ex for the rear.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1117

Them?

Little too steep..How about these for front..

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5023

And these for rears...

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1560

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 636
Well, all respect to alteraudio, but CDT don't have it down with their tweets. IMO they don't let you discover everything that the signal has to offer.
John, if you are considering Seas then it indeed would be a true very high end set (Seas Lotus).

Peerless is OK for the money, but again, they don't have all that when it comes down to tweets.

I have listened to older Diamonds - they did not impress me at all.

Rainbows would be OK, but you want it to be a set where tweeter does not have ferrofluid cooling like Power Line CS or better. For some reason Power Line CMX does have ferrofluid cooling, but the next below - Germanium - does not.

DLS Iridium would absolutely be a nice choice, it's hard to beat that at ebay prices:-)

Regarding JL, say, compared to Seas even JL ZR's it's like comparing finger with a d:ck:-). Seas don't even consider JL to be their competition, whatsoever. Seas drivers employ some of the latest developments in speaker design with top notch quality control.

Seas Lotus would cost you more than CDT's so I am not gonna try to compare the two.

And PLEASE, forget about the rears, you don't need them, ANYBODY who knows something about sound will tell you that. Instead of spending the money for the rears add it onto your budget for the fronts.

Enjoy the music!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Yeah, I have heard of Seas and alright..Lets go with one of them two then. Rainbow you dont suggest anything below Power Line CS?

I'm trying to keep it around 300-400. I know thats cheap but..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Seas and DLS*

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

LaGrange, NC US oF A

Post Number: 224
i have heard the 6 inch jl zr components...and they were in a tahoe..around a 98 model running off a jl audio 454/4 he also had some 6" coax. in the back doors....the components sounded real good to me had clean bass and the words were real crisp and clear to me.....i'd listen to all of em that u can then decide....

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 651
300-400, go with DLS, buy them on ebay and you are set. MB Quart also sounds real "crisp and clear", but at the same time it's not in DLS, Seas or Rainbow class:-)

Gold Member

Concord

Post Number: 1333
Maris depending on the tweeter you get will effect that. The DRT's are a much better tweeter than the older TW's which were used up until this year. These are very detailed tweets but better than the ones i've heard on other sets mentioned here like ADS, JLs, MB, and some of the Rainbows. In the same price range I'd say the HD's are one of the better sets out there espcially if you have a good lot of power on tap. You could spend for Seas but their good tweeter is like 120$ per tweet. I like the sound of Seas but the price hard to justify all the time. DLS is good also but comes down to price, Rainbow I just don't like. Their mids and little too warm for me and not authoritative, plus to get the good ones you're looking to drop a good amount for. But to each his own and some have bigger wallets than others.

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 661
Ok alter, fair is fair you are right - HD's indeed are one of the better sets for the money.
Say Rainbow vs Seas, I'd go with Seas 'cause the first one is very overpriced IMO.

Rainbow reminds me of Focal (which practically never gets mentioned on this forum:-)) - both brands are priced through the roof:-)
Well, I must say I would really love to hear the top two Rainbow sets, but since they are so expensive it's still just a myth for me:-)

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 4126
I run a the CDT HD 62 set myself with the upgraded DRT 26 modular tweeter set. The silk and aluminum are both very nice tweeters on that set. I prefer the aluminum overall but you cant go wrong with this set with 150-200 watts rms a side.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
DLS MS6 - 6.5" 300 on Infiniteaudio.com or whatever..or should I got with the step up from them for 395?

Silver Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 315
John i am in the EXACT same situation as you, and actually looking at the exact same speakers. Im looking into trying to find some good deals with the iridiums, but if not i was thinking about the CDT HD's from alter because they are supposed to have fixed up the tweeter on those. Lemme know what you would do, im extreemely curious.

Silver Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 316
The thing that is killing me, is that, does the extra 100 bucks we could spend on the iridiums really going to make that big of a difference in our ears, than the HD's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4135
It really depends on the install. I am really curious about the DLS Iridium 2 way set but people say they are better off in a 3 way setup which i dont want to think about. I own the CDT HD62's and they sound best with 150-200 watts rms a side.

I know the CDT's work best in a door install with the tweeters mounted as close as possible to the midrange.

Does anyone know if the DLS does better off axis or is it recommended to be on axis like the cdt's ?

Should they be mounted in the door ? How much power is recommended for this set ?

Gold Member

Concord

Post Number: 1354
CDT is a little more forgiving on a bad imaged install than other brands I've used. Morel also did well on the midrange if not imaged right. I can't speak for the DLS speakers though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4136
I love my CDT HD62's. They are definetly more laid back then most sets but will still get loud if you want them to.

Another set i liked was the Image Dynamics CXS62 or 64 Chamoleon set. They are def more for dynamics and have a alot more aggresive midrange and tweeter (silk).

Both very good sets for the money spent. Cant go wrong either way. Both require the same power aswell.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Well.. Mine are going in a tahoe, and The tweeter is half a foot from the woofer,pointing up...but Im leaning toward the DLSs..

Bronze Member
Username: Virulentv

Post Number: 60
Man SEAS is a monopoly ... you cant find em anywhere but mobilesq.com ... not even on ebay ... no where... there must be some set in the world that would compare to SEAS Performance ? how is ads 346cs?

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2511
You can't beat'm for the money:
http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0612_caep_pioneer_premier_ts_c720prs/

Also, SEAS raw drivers are sold:

http://madisound.com/
http://www.solen.ca/
http://www.zalytron.com/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts