60W amp for 90W components

Bronze Member
Username: Cognition

Post Number: 31
Will the JBL CS60.4 four-channel amplifier with 4x60W RMS @ 4ohms be sufficient for the front Infinity Reference comps (90W RMS) and the rear Alpine S-series coax (40 W RMS)?

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 457
If you can bi-amp the Infinity's, using all 4 channels on them, that's what I would do. I would not underpower them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I also thought about that. But I would not want to leave the rear speakers without amplification. I want the people sitting at the back of the car to also enjoy the music.

If I don't play the music too loud, would it be okay to underpower the Infinity's?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
bump

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1494
yeah it should still sound fine

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Thanks mat.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1143
Complicated question, simple answer.

RMS = the maximum you should push to stay safe.

Kind a like speed limits. If it says 45 MPH speed limit, that means that you can drive up to 45 MPH. It is not a goal, or a starting point (lol).

Most stock car systems run under 15 watts to each speaker. Go figure. yeah they are paper cones and they are lighter therefore require less energy to reach maximum output, but never the less, it doesnt take much to get sound output.

As long as you dont clip you stuff you will be fine. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Simple yet clear analogy. Thanks mixneffect.

Right now I'm still powering my components and coaxials with just the 22W RMS of my Pioneer HU. I never force them to play too loud.

I'm planning to buy the JBL 60W RMS amplifier so I can play them just a bit louder (not too loud for average driving condition) without clipping them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us