Orion 5000d at .5 ohm?

Silver Member
Username: Impala63rag

Post Number: 160
I am considering an upgrade from 2 x 9512's to 2 x 9912's. it's just a cone replacement. The catch is(other than money) they don't come in dual 4ohm. They would have to be converted to dual 2 ohm. that will run my amp at .5 ohm. Will the orion 5000d be reliable at that impedance?

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
daily driver.

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 435
What year orion is it?

Gold Member
Username: B101

USA

Post Number: 3701
05 and 06 are .5ohm stable daily... just hope u have atleast 200a of current gettin to the amp, and 2 deepcycle batts near it!

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3101
^^^^^he knows what he's talking...

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
yeah it's an '06 model, I haven't set up the charging system yet. That's the hold up. But yes it'll have kinetik 1800 in front and a 2400 in back, with two 200 amp alternators.

It will be a temporary thing anyway, because i'll upgrade to 2 x orion 5000d's soon. I just don't want to fry the amp before that happens.

Username: Powerjoe98

Post Number: 1
hey i have a question. i tried to hook up a 1000 watt power acoustik amp and a 460 watt dual amp to the same pair of 1200 watt dual 12in subs. i got power to both amps, and i plugges them both into the same pair of subs now the amp lights do not go on. two amps to the same pair of subs all plugged in and fully powered, but as soon as i did it, both amps power light shut off and wont come back on. do you know what is wrong? also i would like to know what is better. 1000 watts bridged at 4 ohms or 500 watt per channel 2 ohm.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
I'm not an expert by any means, and there is alot of people on this forum that would be better suited for the question. BUT, You might want to check out what the ohm load actually is that is going to those amps, because the way that you have it described sounds like its dropping into a low ohm load.
If that is the case, it's probably too much for the amps to handle.
If you have two digital design 9512's I would recommend a bigger amp to push 'em, and a good charging system. That's like drivin a ferrari on a flat tire.
I could be wrong, but that's my 2 cents.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
to answer the other question to the best of my ability. The lower the ohm load THAT THE AMP CAN HANDLE, the more you get out of it. At least thats the way most of them are designed. Optimally, If you have 2 x dual 4ohm dd9512's, The best practical fit would be an amp that runs 1ohm stable at 2500-3000 watts rms.

My choice was the orion 5000d, but there is alot of great amps to choose from. There is alot of people on this site that would be happy to help you choose the best fit for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us