Am I Doomed To Poor Sound Quality

Username: Motherboard1

Post Number: 6
I have had my Clarion DB365 installed for just a little while now, and the difference in sound quality between this HU and the cars factory Cassete/Radio is pretty big

Does Clarion make poor HU?
Is the DB365 known for poor Sound quality?
If I solder the wires, should I notice better SQ?

I know its only a cheap unit, but I thought it would atleast match the sound quality of a 10 year old Cassete/Radio. Im not a audio enthusiast, but the sound is pretty poor with my new HU installed

Did I do something wrong? Is there something I can Add/fix to improve the Sound Quality?

Or am I doomed ?

Silver Member
Username: Jenifer_contreras

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 391
with original (oem) speakers the sound sucks.You have to upgrade to a nice set of speakers and good Amp.Don't forget about sub!Then you will be OK!!!Just $300 more.

Silver Member

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 392
james! don't buy a cheap speakers...start with infinity component or if the money no matter,then get for your baby alpine amp. component speakers(R type) and sub (R type).
Or for 50-80 bucks you can get a kenwood(not bad and very loud).

Post Number: 7
Ok, issue is though, that the sound quality was fine with the speakers I have when I was just useing the Cars origional Cassete/radio, and I was satisfied with the Sound quality

But with the new one in there, the SQ sucks

are the speakers really to blame? they seemed fine with the old Radio

Post Number: 8
I just want my origional sound quality, with my new HU

Silver Member

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 396
Usually there is two problem:
1. Original speakers more then 4Om.
2. You have oem AMP.
What car you got? I will check what is inside!
I need exactly: model,year and trim(SE..LX..EX..eg.)

Post Number: 9
I have a 96 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4 Door

Silver Member

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 408
james! if you got oem tweeters in the car, so then your car have oem amp (have to be bypass)!

Upload

if there is no tweeters,then just upgrade to a nice set of speakers! That is all.
I know...I know,it's costly!

Post Number: 10
Ok thanks for your help, Im still confused, how do I bypass the OEM amp? and where would the OEM amp be located?

and I dont see any tweeters, but I wouldnt know where to look, none in plane sight anyway

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 459
bump,
tear it up:-)

Silver Member

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 416
tweeters stays where the mirrors! if you have no tweeters ,so then no amp.
We going to the plan "B".
First:remove from the driver door a plastic cover(trim),pull the speaker out,check what is written on the azz (magnet).Have to be no more then 4 Om.if it 8-16 Om go buy another set.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I fear that maybe the Clarion DB 365 is just a poor unit with bad sound producing qualities

it has aux input for thumb drives and such, and it reads MP3s and WMAs from Cds, but yet I see many web sites sell it for a very low price, far below the "Suggested Retail Price", maybe this is a hint that I shouldnt have bought this unit.

Silver Member

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 417
=

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
sorry, your last post didnt exist as I was typing my previous post

I will remove the door plastic cover and check the Om rateing on the magnet like you say

as for changed polarity, Ill check that as well, but I followed the instructions when wireing the unit to the harness, Im pretty sure everything is wired as it should be, I did'nt cut my factory wires

Silver Member

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 418
High Contrast White Negative Display (13 × 8 Digits) with Screen Saver
Message Information
Z-Enhancer Sound Customization
MAGNA BASS EX Dynamic Bass Enhancement
18FM/6AM Presets
200 Watts MOS-FET Amplifier (50 Watts × 4 Channels)
MP3 and WMA Compatible with ID3-TAG Display
CD-R/RW Ready
4-Channel RCA Output
2-Channel AUX Input with Level Control
Active Screen Savens
Detachable Control Panel
USB Input for Compressed Digital Audio
Anything with a USB output plugs right into the DB365USB so you can hear your music through your mobile entertainment system. The USB (Universal Serial Bus) port takes MP3 and WMA files from portable digitalaudio players and other devices. This source unit can handle 255 digital audio files. File names can be up to 28 characters long, and folder names can be up to 16 characters long.
Ordinary loudness circuits boost bass in the frequency range around 100 Hz. However, Clarion's Magna Bass boosts bass lower than that-in a band centered at 60 Hz-to provide extra low-frequency impact. Now, to boost bass frequencies that are even lower, Clarion's new Magna Bass EX boosts the bass in the vicinity of 60 Hz by nearly 10 dB. And Magna Bass EX automatically compensates for whatever volume level you have chosen to ensure well-balanced dynamic bass no matter how loud you play your music.
Z-Enhancer Changes Tonal Balance
Want more bass, more treble, or more of both? No problem. Z-Enhancer has three pre-set equalization curves to choose from... and the amount of boost is adjustable.

Upload

Not Bad at All!

Silver Member

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 419
I am sure you have to change speakers ! and drive them by amp!

Silver Member

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 420
I never ever see a good OEM speakers! Always people replace them!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Well thats reassuring

I just seen the low prices online (around 100$), and assumed that maybe this was indicative of the units sound quality

Silver Member

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 421
james! about speakers go here:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/48.html

Sorry,I cannot advise you what to buy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I was satisfied with the sound quality produced with the Old OEM system, I only replaced the OEM Head Unit because I wanted more music selection for the long drives back and forth to work (I was getting bored with the Radio stations)

really Im not picky about sound quality, its just that since I installed the new head unit, it sounds different, it seems unclear, and harder to discern lyrics sometimes

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
If I have to buy new speakers to achieve a decent sound quality, I guess Ill just have to break down and do that

will I have to buy an amp as well? I thought Head units had their own built in amp? I thought that aftermarket amps were meant to achieve louder volume?

Silver Member

Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 422
I got you!
The same problem was by me! but after I upgraded to the AMP, new speakers and Sub...and I tell ya it's like day and night...you cannot compare,now it's so good!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us