Extreme BL subs bad for ported?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1744
I was told that a sub with an extremely high motor BL would make a ported enclosure impractical because it would be too peaky, how true is this? I was looking at some TC 5200 and was told should be used in a sealed enclosure, less than 2cf and with 4500rms. I really like these subs but with a pair sealed behind the back seat break a 150 (folding seat)? Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1458
alot of people on caraudio.com use tc subs, i dont think any people here know to much about them

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1745
I am looking for an "in general" type of answer. I need to know how BL effects wether or not we can place it in a sealed or ported enclosure. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

4, 20

Post Number: 2400
i allways thought the higher the bl the better it would be for ported, idk how to explain it clearly but thats what i thought, and tc sounds are very nice subs.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1747
I agree Neo but according to there site the extreme amount of BL there subs have which very high compared to my Treo SSX it would be very peaky which is good for a f@rt box but not a box you would play daily. They say for this they recommend a very small sealed box, even there 18's use a 3cf box which is extremely small for a sub that size. They also said any larger would add to this peakyness and it would use much more power. I am waiting on another e-mail I sent to them but I really like the quality of there subs not to mention the way it breaks down is awesome. Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

4, 20

Post Number: 2407
hmmm, interresting keep us updated i wanna hear more about this.

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 663
Some of the ppl on their forum was recommendin me those, and for the 18 to go 2.5cuft ported and tune to the mid 20s. The Fs is also really really low on most their subs.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 7582
BL could be combated with a stiffer suspension/surround....the air compliance in the ported box should also help with that....i dunno. lol

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1763
They did say that you could go ported but the size ofit would have to be soo small that it would be negated. I would just buy one to try it but they ain't cheap, lol. Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 7590
they being TC????

they know their stuff mang.....

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1765
Ya but do you think it would be possible to hit between a 150/151 with two sealed 15's with an extreme BTL of 45+ on 2500 rms each? This would be with the trunk sealed off of course? Polo..

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1766
BL

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1122
BL is a unit of measure of how much impact (force factor) a speaker has. So a speaker with extreme BL would hit very hard.

Now;

A ported box usually limits speakers due to its exhaust pressure at the port. When you oversize a box so that you will get lower bass out of your ub, you will change the air pressure inside the box and the port. This will limit you on how much power (watts) you may drive into your sub. This is because the air pressure in a large box is low and therefore the sub will prematurely bottom out, especially down low (Hz).

So yes, a sub with extreme Bl will bottom out in a ported box faster than in a sealed enclosure due to air pressure inside the box, AKA enclosure compliance. :-)

Oh yeah, port noise city too... :-(

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1769
Gotcha, makes good sense so in out ported world that sub would be useless? The one's I was looking at had an excursion of 30mm one way and the LMS had 38mm. With the increased level of BL of these subs should allow for decent output but could it be possible to hit the above numbers, sealed? Polo..:-)

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1125
No, it wouldn't be out of the question to go ported as long as you dont go ported and large.

Sealed give you less output down low, buit it allows you to run the drivers at full power without bottoming out.

I would just run them ported, but stay small. This would keep the air pressure up, and the drivers would be in check.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1790
You say stay small, meaing port or box? Polo..

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1126
Keep the box small, but not too small. Just stay away from a large ported box. For example if a driver has 3 allignments;

1 CF* F3=45 Hz
2 CF* F3=35 Hz
5 CF* F3=25 Hz

Then I would chose the 1 or 2 CF* boxes, and definetly not the 5 CF* box. The smaller boxes would not push you over the limit and bottom out the subs, but the large one will.

The port is up to you. If you use a narrow port of say 2" wide, then the length would be short, say 3-5 " long.

If you chose a wide 4-6" port, then the length would have to be about 20-30" long.

This is because of pressure. Basically, no matter the port diameter. The air pressure must be the same in order to tune properly. The port just fine tunes a certain frequency. It does not allow a sub to get a lower F3. The box size determines that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us