HOw to hook up a car amp in my house

Silver Member
Username: Grebnereon

Post Number: 324
why are home audio amps soo much more expensive than car audio amps?? im thinkin about hookin up my amp and subs to the TV :-) the tv has preouts to go to an external amp, so thats easy.
-for power im not sure if this would work, but hook it up to a battery and then put a battery charger on the battery
-for ground, should i just hook it up to the - battery terminal
-and whow would i hook up the remote wire to the tv?

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 574
you cant just give it up

Silver Member

Post Number: 326
you can just f*ck off

anybody know how to do this? i want advice, not people telling me to not to do it without a good reason

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 399
Hmm, well you would want AC/DC converter, but I guess you could try.

Silver Member

Post Number: 327
jk bro...what you mean by i cant just give it up??

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 576
im sayin itll never work but go ahead and try it i dont give a sh*t

Silver Member
Username: Kenwa

Post Number: 419
It does work b/c i know people that have done it, i have no idea how but it is possible.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 410
Of course it does work - electronics = electronics no matter house or car, so if you do it right it will work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 332
i think ive got everything hooked up right. as i said i was gonna do in my 1st post. but i dont know where to hook up my turn on wire

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1452
just make sure you use sealed batterys. as long as the sub amp doesnt draw much current it will be ok. the bat charger only does like 2a constantly. dont run it on jump mode. for remote just hook a wire with a switch on it the bat. +

Silver Member
Username: Kenwa

Post Number: 420
Like maris said i think you can buy a converter that is meant for this type of thing so you dont have to use your ghetto @ss setup(no offense).

Silver Member

Post Number: 333
lol...i think im gonna give it up....ive been surfin the web and theres several storeis about batteries explodin and stuff, and i think id like to avoid that.

but wow, home amps are soooo much more expensive...why is that?

Gold Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 1896
ya just get a batt put pos to pos ground to neg and remote to pos.........the bit*h is keeping the charge.......ive heard of people runnin it off a battery charger....

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

Steamboat springs, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 681
i'm just guessing but it seems like you could get a 120V to 12V converter and run it staright off the wall outlet.

and why are house amps so dam expensive? i've seen 800W amps go for upwards of two to three thousand!

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

TREO, USA USA

Post Number: 2071
do u beleive in magic bro?
wen u truly do then all ur wildest dreams will come true :-)

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2794
ok...
it will be hard to find a ac-dc converter for cheap.
all ya have to do is get a sealed battery and a batt charger. put the remote wire in the amps pos, then hook up ur amp normally, also put a switch between the rem and amp pos

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1070
Hook your amp to a battery, battery to an alternator, drive the alternator with a 120volt electric motor. You will have to fabricate mountings and drive chain from motor to alt.

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 662
I've done it before. This question has been asked many times. I did it the same way u did, only using a small charger, which acted as the "alt." as it would be in my car. Just plug the remote wire up to the + side of the battery and throw a toggle switch in teh middle to cut it on and off.

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 1682
get a battery charger...that produces however many amps you need...plug it into your wall..plug the amps power and ground into the battery charger, and splice a small remote wire from the positive of the batt charger

Gold Member

Post Number: 1683
oops didnt read jordans post

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 665
It works man. but yes if you leave a battery on charge too long and its not made for that then it will get leaky. I used a cheap lawn mower battery, but im assumin if u used a good drycell you'd be alright.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1684
do u even need a battery? cant u just use the charger if it does it at 12 volts

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 667
Yeah you'll wanna use a battery prolly, unless you get a AC/DC converter.

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 373
dude just find a big enough AT computer power supply...and run it off 12volts...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1685
if u have a battery charger...that will supply 60 amps continuois at 12.4 volts....then u dont need a batt

(im pretty sure)

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 671
Do they make cpu pwr supplies big enuf? I never thought of that, maybe itll work, don't see y not.

Silver Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 640
Alot people ask this. To me it's playin' frankestein but to each their own. I have one of these...Upload Which I can run a 2000w power inverter off of. Simply connecting the pos and neg of the power station to the pos and neg of my inverter and, presto, instant 120v power. I've run a fridge off it and power tools as well. Those power stations are great, portable and fused. Omitting the inverter and you've got 12v power capable to run SOME amps. All for about $50! Yes, it can be done.......

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1325
go to the realmofexcursion.com store.. you can buy home audio amps for under 400.. 1000 watts being the most.. all these amps will deliver most of there power at 4 ohms.. better than dicking around with convertes, batteries and chargers..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us