Pound for Pound: 3 way vs 2way (components)

Bronze Member
Username: Style_front

Post Number: 15
Some companies like focal, cdt and dls offer component sets ranging from 450-550 in both 2way and 3way configurations. Of the two sets wich one is going to sound better, the set with 2 speakers or 3? And if it's not too much trouble, why?

This question is not really to try and pitt one company's component set against thee other, but if you want to go there thats fine (might save me another thread). The idea is just to sort out the 2 vs 3 package.

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 283
It just breaks up the work each speaker must perform basically. From a two way to a three way you will see some better SQ. Not alot but some. Those DLS 3-ways are some true audiophile stuff.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 377
Yes grant is right, it simply breaks up the work and at the end there is less stress on each driver, however, 3way comp install is much more complicated than a 2way, if you do it wrong, your 3way will sound worse than a 2way. Trial and error phasing, timing, angleing and so on, it's not an easy job. If it's done right they will sound great though.

Bronze Member
Username: Style_front

Post Number: 16
So I have to admit I am not sure how to dial in phasing/timing/etc....but how is it these are not factors in a 2 way set? Say I was to drop in a 2 way set and a 3 way, not tuning either, why will the 2 way sound better?

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 422
OK, without tuning it would be like playing the lottery and your chances of having better sound without tuning and placement trials are higher with the 2 way set simply because there are only 2 drivers per side. With a 3 way set there is a greater chance of having wave cancellations, distorted image and so on. Well, it could happen than you put a 3 way in and it sounds perfect with no extra work, but is not usually the case.
Start with a nice 2 way set, gain some experience, then move up to the 3 way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us