Best under $200 Help Please!!!

Silver Member
Username: Blazerboy

Post Number: 142
Hey guys,
I got some RF punches a lil while back on ebay for $100 thinking they were good, then noticed that there is A LOT better out there. I am in the market for some new subs. I can sell teh RF's to a friend for $100 for the pair. I currently have a A-Bahn A8002V amp, that im using for 400 rms. I would like to use the max 800 rms, and still use my amp.
I have been recomended these CVR's... http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-2-NEW-05-KICKER-CVR12-COMP-VR-12-4-ohm-1000-W_W0QQitemZ 180040745187QQihZ008QQcategoryZ39777QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I have been told that these will hit pretty hard with my A8002V amp in my Blazer. What do you guys think?
Also I want to try to avoid buying/building a new box. I built one for my RF's and it turned out realy nice. It was just that it was about a $40 8 hour job.
The box is 35x15x15 and it is sealed. Would this box be ok for the CVR's? Will they sound great fine or bad in it? How much better will the CVR's sound in the box then the RF's in the same box? Also If it will sound bad are there any mods I can do to the box to make it sound better for example putting in ports?
Thanks for help in advance, sorry for all the questions!

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2273
go to ebay search for phoenix gold gold octane r's then get a pair they are better than cvr's and cost way cheaper and will give you more spl and better sq. oh find the ones that are z rated because there are two octanes r the regulars and the the z rated ull be better with phoenix gold

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2274
and if u go with sealed the phoenix gold will be better on sealed

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
Would the PG's work with my current A8002v amp? How much better are they than the cvrs? I want them to be pretty load, but sound quality is also important. Thanks.
KO

Silver Member
Username: Livin_loud

Ny

Post Number: 355
First off, I think you should add a round port to your box and see what happens. It might just be enough to hold you off for awhile until you can upgrade again, (because you WILL want to, even after this) and that would give you time to save up more for better equipment.

If your not happy with that, and your willing to spend under $200 on subs, I think two of these would fit you pretty good. They would work good in that box I believe, and if you port it, it'll only be louder. They will outshine the Punches in every aspect, ported or sealed.

http://ascendantaudio.com/assassin12specs.html

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2276
xmax on the cvr are 11 one way on phoenix godl are 32mm peak to peak and 16 one way. rms its pretty much equal and phoenix will sound much richier and louder no doubt

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

AudioqueUSA

Post Number: 1927
you could look at some audioques. you could get 2 SD2s, or 1 SD2.5 www.audioque.com

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2277
ILL STAY WITH THE PHOENIX GOLD.

cheaper better built quiality and great results.

the assasins are also pretyt good but will be juzz the same as the octanes so chose watever u like best

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
could you possible give me a ebay link to the subs your talking about lilrob? I just want to make sure im looking at the same think you are.

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 452
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/281114.html

Gold Member

AudioqueUSA

Post Number: 1931
i say get an SD 2.5

Gold Member

AudioqueUSA

Post Number: 1932
or thoes REs^^

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 453
im tellin ya man, they the sh!t

Gold Member

AudioqueUSA

Post Number: 1933
whats the rms on em?

Silver Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 737
AUDIOPIPE

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2281
here u go dude.

this will definately fill your needs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Phoenix-Gold-Subs-Octane-ZR-12D4-Subwoofers-ZR12D4-NR_W0QQ itemZ110046309788QQihZ001QQcategoryZ18803QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110046309 788

oh by the wya im gettin 6 of them

Gold Member

AudioqueUSA

Post Number: 1938
wow shipping is 5O$, what are you gonna do with 6?

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2283
i know man. fakin shippin its 150 for the six of them. the total its 360 shipped

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 455
175wrms each

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
Will the RE's, PG Octanes, and audioques, all work with my amp and get 800 rms out of it? Here are my amp specs,
4 Ohm Stereo 200 X 2
2 Ohm Stereo 400 X 2
4 Ohm Mono 800 X 1

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2289
u can get the phoenix gold octanes r dual 4 ohms.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-PHOENIX-GOLD-OCTANE-R-R12D-12-DVC-500W-SUBWOOFERS-05_W0QQi temZ250040453796QQihZ015QQcategoryZ18803QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2500404537 96
^^^ those are regular r u can spend 10-20 bucks more for the pair to get the z rated the 10-20 bucks are worth it man belive me .

well heres the z rated i think 10 bucks more http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Phoenix-Gold-Subs-Octane-ZR-12D-Subwoofers-ZR12-NR_W0QQ itemZ110045962486QQihZ001QQcategoryZ18803QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110045962 486

heres how to wire the subs http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp
but hey u will have to bridge your amp so each woofer wil have 400 rms

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
Ok, so how would I do the bridging? Also whats the difference betweem the Z rated and non Z rated?
They would be fine be only be overpowered by 50 RMS im sure.
Does anybody else have any opinions on these subs? Or does anybody else have more opinions on subs in about the same price range?
How do these subs compare to the CVR's and RE's?

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2296
the phoenix gols definately will be loduer and cleaner than re and cvr if u know how to install them correctly the regulars have less xmax and less rms and a smaller magnet. the z rated have more xmax and a bigger magnet and ofcorese mroe rms.

if u overpowered them by 50rms will be fine i recomend to overpower them by 80 rms that will be better. ull be happy. but i recomend u the zrated its betteer for your money too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
Could you possibly give me a digram or elplain to me how to install them so i can get te most out of them? My AIM sn is puckhead3131 if you want to talk to me there. Thanks a ton lilrob you have helped me a ton.

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2298
cant do it man i dont have aim.

prperly install them its how do you install the subs on the box, for example wich enclousure u put the woofers the phoenix get fairly loud on small to medium enclousures but the instructions booklet tells you how much space its needed for a box. but if u only want sq put them on sealed they will get alil louder but not as loud as in a ported.

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
The box is 35x15x15, sealed, you think that would hit hard?

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
Theres the specs on the PG Z rated subs
• 12d2: 12 inch 4/1 ohm subwoofer
• 12d4: 12 inch 8/2 ohm subwoofer
• Sensitivity: 90dB (1W/1M)
And heres the specs on my amp again, 4 Ohm Stereo 200 X 2
2 Ohm Stereo 400 X 2
4 Ohm Mono 800 X 1
Can somebody show me how to properly wire them?

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2299
thats box its BIG for a sealed box wat u can do its buy two ports and put them in there so it can hit hard . yeha like i said that box its way too big for 2 12's in sealed nto even the cvr or assasins will sounds loud in that box

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
But the box will be fine for the PG''s if I put in ports? What size 2"? And where exactly do you put ports?

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2300
yeah that will be good alil big but not a big deal.

u can add a 4 to 6 inch port for more low end thump u can ask marshall white he got a tread tell him your box dimensions and u want to tune them at

spl(willnot sound verygood) 40hz
sql(best of both worlds) 35hz
sq (will get u the most low end with the cleanestsignal but wil not get too loud) 28hz

i recomend you to tune your sub box at 35hz.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
what exactly is spl, and is it a big deal im not getting much of it?

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2302
no ur not gonna lose alot of spl if u tune it at around 32hz. spl its loudness and preasure the speaker makes. its juzz the loudest but sometimes loudest doesnt mean better. like spl competitors all of their set up u cant juzz pop a cd inthere and listen to musik those set ups juzz for a s ingle tone to get loud u cant eve listen to musik there. sometimes a pure spl set up its REALLLY anoying thats why a sql subs its the most common in car audio. because ull get alil louder and sound really good, but if ur a audiophile and u want the best clarity wat u need its sq its on the taste if u like loudness go with a spl set up u want the best of both worlds get a sql set up and ur really into musik and want the last very detail ull need a sq set up.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4876
dont get caught up in spl if you arent competing all it does is ruin your hearing....go for sound quality it's where youll end up 9 times out of ten

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 277
I would just buy one Diamond Audio D6 15'' sub. They are like 200$ shipped from ebay. It's efficient enough to use that amp but it can definitly take more should you decide to buy a different amplifier.

Here is a link to see when one of these can do even in a prefab box.

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/Diamond%20Audio/d615.2.wmv

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3062
sealed boxes are calculated for airspace, I would like to know how you tune a sealed box? the octane sereis subs is a very entry level sub from them and i think the cvrs are a better sub.at least not the entry sub from them and for that amp you need dual 4 ohm subs and go to www.the12volt.com and look under woofer wiring to run them at 4 ohms.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4878
tuning of a sealed box really comes down to the airspace and type of sound you want....a sealed box does have a center frequency which is based on the subwoofers theil small parameters

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
Yea tahts whgat I was thinking, If they are so good how can they be so cheap? Im going to end up spending about the same amount of money I spent for the RF's, so how can there be that great of a difference?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4879
if sound quality is what you want with a simple enclosure the jl audio 12 w6 v2 is the best ive heard to date

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
I want to keep my box, and amp, and get a subs with a lot of sound quality but can also get pretty loud.
2 12" subs
Match my amp specs
Good SQ
Decent Loudness
Under $230 a pair

Gold Member

Post Number: 4880
two image dynamics 12's idq series would fit that bill with excellent sq and bang in your price range

Gold Member

Post Number: 4881
well they arent as cheap as i remembered but heres one site http://www.mainstreet-audio.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code =IMSUB

Gold Member

Post Number: 4882
here we go these guys are cheaper...http://www.carmedia1.com/

Gold Member

Post Number: 4883
opps that isnt the 12's

Gold Member

Post Number: 4886
I tried for ya but ive had these sites a while now ...carmedia was the ticket for you but they sold out what they had apparently

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7106
I reccomend the Immage Dynamic's that Sean posted over every other option mentioned here. Your box is on the BIG side at 1.75 cu/ft per sub. I would go with what Lilrob said and port that box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
Wont 2 12" Immage Dynamics only be 500rms, arent they like 200-250 rms a piece?
ALso what u guys think about about the Diamond Audios? How will tehy sound with my a8002v amp and 35x15x15 sealed box?

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2314
blaze ur gonna be better wiht phoenix gold but if u dont want to get them its cool, the diamonds are also good will not be as loud as the two phoenix gold but it will sounds very nice. image dynames idq have awesome sq as well but dont get too loud like i said ill stick with the phoenix gold i know they seem pretty cheap but oh well its up to you man hope u chose the right one im out. oh yeah try to port your box with some flared ports :-) lilrob

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
ha ha yea, i guess the thing is they seem too good to be true ya know? I mean subs that cost only about 100$ being better than subs that cost double that. Im just a little suspitious, plus theres no ROE videos or anything on them, do you happen to have any vids lilrob? Also does anybody have a good link on how to install ports?

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
ha ha yea, i guess the thing is they seem too good to be true ya know? I mean subs that cost only about 100$ being better than subs that cost double that. Basicly im just cautious because my RF stage 1ns cost about the same, and im def not digging them. Im just a little suspitious, plus theres no ROE videos or anything on them, do you happen to have any vids lilrob? Also does anybody have a good link on how to install ports?

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2318
well man if u dont trust them dont get them bro.
later on when i get my set up done ill show u im in the process of getitin 6 zr;s but oh well man its your decicion man. well man hope u chose someting good man peace.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
alright, I still might get them, let me know when you get yours. Thanks for all teh help lilrob.
KO

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2323
oh by the way check marshall whites tread of the phoenix golds, and ull see them that phoenix gold worht the money. and no cvr, asasin or diamonds are gonna give you results like that in a basic install
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us