Anyone running a SSX sealed?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1705
Curious, the only way I can properly get a second SSX 15 in my car is if it is in a sealed enclosure. If I was to design/build a sealed unit can I achieve a gain or will one ported be louder than two sealed under double the power? Polo..

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1725
Bring
Up
My

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1420
well if you add another sub thats supposed to add 3db, then double the power +3db, but go sealed -3db. thats all roughly of corse just seems to be the average peopel use. but i dont think that little extra would really be worth it becasue it would cost you alot, unless your going to compeate.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1727
That is what I was thinking. I think it is time to make a new box design and see if I can't out do this TCAB box.. Polo. :-)

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1423
or dont they make an ssx 18, you could always step up to that. dont think you would gain much more out put maybe 3dbs but hey id be something new

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1728
Ya I could gain a db or two sealing off the trunk plus I have this idea of making a box out of 1" thick corian, a builder I know screwed up and is stuck with a solid sheet of this stuff, could be interesting. Hey, I am coming down for thanksgiving, gonna check some kite surfing out over by lighhouse point, can't wait! Polo.. :-)

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1425
thats cool, alot of people in my area kite surf but iv never tryed it. lookes awesome though. are you brining your car down here or flying?

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 435
Specs on that TCAB? (cu)

What car? Meaning....Roughly how much avail. cu.?

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1731
I wished I could bring my car so we can go bumpin but I fly for free soooo the money savings outweighs the fun, lol. I tried kite surfing once and I was brutally beatin. I learned how to fly a four stringer long ago but when you really get down to it and when it starts to pull you freak out. I left the ground, overcompensated and it bashed me on the gournd while dragging me, lol. I will be taking a class tought at the beach, lmfao. Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2268
polo first lets suppose u hit 145 db's on a ported box with 1500 rms with a single sub. then u do this.

add a second sub 3+
remove ported sub enclousure and add a sealed enclousure -1.5-3db's
add 1500 rms(for the extra sub) 3+
then do the mat=

145+3-2.5 db(average lost of the sealed, it could be up 3 db+ if u dont make a good sealed) +3dbs=148.5

if u were hittin 145 then u take out the ported and make a sealed ull be hittin 148.5 plus u can get up to max of 3db's dependin on the resonance of your car, or how ur car accept your sounds sytem.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1732
4.47 cf, 4" external aeros. Polo..

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 438
148 from the trunk, sealed, is a stretch.

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2269
average lost of the sealed* sorry i meant lost of the ported box when u add the sealed box.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1733
Ya, I was figuring it out. THe losses are significant and I am probably better off building another ported enclosure and sealing off the trunk. I have the two sx1250 on the ssx15.11 right now so I may redesign the interior, do some metal cutting, add 5 batteries and two more sx amps then see what I come up with. If I didn't have the nned for the back seat then that would go. Anyone know the max port area that a SSX can cope with in a daily enclosure at around 35hz? Polo.. :-O

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2271
yeah doubling the power will get u some db's but hey If you can ever get to measure the higher db levels of 145 to 155 of something you will definitely notice it getting harder and harder to get louder (more db) especially if your using electronic amplifiers and speakers. This effect keeps getting more and more noticeable the higher db level you go. To go from 130 to 132 db is very easy, from 140 to 142 is O.K., from 150 to 152 db is difficult and from 160 db to 162 db it is very hard, you will need lots and lots more power, sometimes double or maybe triple.

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 440
2 subs with double the power should be very close, if not louder.

Ported > sealed, but not that much!

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1337
^^ .. never saw two sealed subs in a trunk do more than 145. I'm sure many have but I've personally never seen it at our local comps. I'm sure you can fit two 15s but you would most likely need to build the box in piece then assemble it in your trunk..

Any chance you can lose the back seat :-). Yesterdatday we put two MTX 9500s in the backseat of a honda accord. Box was 12cu.ft before displacement tuned to 50hz. Subs were running off a Planet Audio 2200d. I must say it slammed. I'll post some numbers of that car next week after the comp.

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2282
kevin i was explaining to him about the db's lost.

ofcorse ull never see sealed enclousures on competition because its a competition and its baout loudest ported give your the most db's.

yeah there are sealed box that hits 145 but yeah it takes subs and alot of watts and a hell of a car with alot of sound dampening

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1734
I would really like to see some install pics with two 15's especially in a little car, would give me some ideas! I can't lose the back seat but I may not have too. I will make the seats fold down and the enclosure will be everything behind the seat. Polo..

Gold Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1346
what size car do you consider small?

Heres two in the back of a two door stratus..
[url=http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2704906080081357071NOxkDT][img=http://thumb11.webshots.net/t/53/653/9/6/8/2704906080081357071NOxkDT_th.jpg][/url]

Focus hatch..

Upload

I've also seen two audiopipe 15s in the trunk of a Saturn.. thats a fairly small car.. guess more midsize but it was a two door as well. Same setup as the stratus.. subs/port firing into cabin

Gold Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1347
sorry about the link lol.. but anyway that setup does 152s :-)

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1431
that sucks you arnt bringing your car i havnt heard an ssx. although i dont blame you especially if you can fly for free. in juno there are kite bording competitions every so often there pretty cool to watch

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1735
Ok I have 36" max width (between strut towers) and 28" (usable) depth and about 18" height. These dimensions are OD and do not leave me much port space. I may have to baffle behind the back seat then port through the back deck. Honestly I may just remove the whole back deck it is very flimsy metal, build an enclosure that will take its place and carpet it in the appropriate color. The new back deck in essence will be the top of the enclosure, sporting some big @ss ports. The only thing I don't know about is there is a thick @ss steel bar that runs from one strut tower to the other and I need to know if it is structural, may have to call the dealership. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

BTLUSA

Post Number: 6481
polo it is almost impossible to have 2 15 ssx's in your trunk ported. unless your trunk can it a 8 cuft net box.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

BTLUSA

Post Number: 6486
actually forget that last post.

why don't you fire the subs in to the cabin with the port in the center. you can build the box in the trunk so you can utilize all spaces and then seal around the box so its air tight from the rest of the trunk.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1743
Hi Chad, I only have 36" max width which wouldn't really give enough slot port width unless you can prove me wrong but I just don't see it. I was thinking two large @ss aeros either 6 or 10's on top at a 90deg anlg facing the back windo. If I need to I can use a 90 deg elbo and have the aero facing me. If I cut the metal out all I would have to do is remove the passenger side seat to get it in. I would seal the where the back deck was and use expanding foam on the sides to seal off. This would be a more permanent ordeal. I may not even go with Treos but maybe TC's .

Upload
Upload
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us