Which alternator to get?

Bronze Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 87
Ok, here's the deal: I'm planning to install a 3500 watt system, and I need some help deciding what alternator to get. Here are the choices:

Amps / Amps at idle
220/175
240/165
260/155
280/145
300/135

I want to be able to sometimes play the system with the car parked, but this system will also need as much power as possible, so what would be the best choice?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1375
what amps are you running and how much money do you have to spend on batterys

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2738
for 3500 i would go with the 300 amp alt but i also would look into a couple kinetics aswell.

Gold Member
Username: Drsmith

Montana USA

Post Number: 1422
i emailed iraggi bcuz i plan on running 3k and he said i should probably go with the lower ones with more output at idle

not trying to contradict you Charlie cuz i was gonna make a thread similair to this

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 659
The only problem with that Doc is when you want to upgrade :-( Then you have to get another alt :-(

Gold Member
Username: Drsmith

Montana USA

Post Number: 1441
yeah i no lol and upgrades just seem to be inevitable

what would the difference between the 2 be while driving and not just idling

Bronze Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 88
The amp will be a soundstream pca3500D, so will the 220/175 be enough power for it? And would replacing my battery with a good one help?

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 662
Well with a 300 amp alt you are going to have to rely on the capacity of your batteries while idle.Once you hit the gas though your alt will charge them much faster with a 300amp ALT,with a smaller alt you are limited.Hey...if you guys like bumpin your music while parked,go for the smaller one :-),if you like cruisin and bumpin get an alt that puts out more max amperage .

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2741
yup thats where i was going for it what do u do more driving or just sitting around i mean to me its a obvious answer but maybe u just sit and chill

Gold Member
Username: B101

USA

Post Number: 3694
well 2 of the 220 would be nice!!

but the 220 puts out most @ idle on your list! so if u creep without hittin the gas peedle, and like to bass @ the lights.. then the 220/175 will get by just fine! with the help of a good deepcycle batt in the back... :-)

I like to bass @ lights, and creep slow, so I dont use the gas very much.. I like lots of output @ idle... :-) normally the ho should put out atleast half its rating @ idle, if it does less, then that tells u about the manufacturer.. also always choose a large casing... u get more power out of the alt @ idle... my 300a HO does well over 160a @ idle..

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3035
175A at idle is damn good, plus is very hard to drive with 2000w rms bumping behind you! hehe i'd go with the smaller one and good batteries

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 140
if ur parked, u can just accelerate to like 2500 rpms and be fine, go with the smaller

Silver Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 624
Call High Output Alternators and ask for Rick he will help you. The phone numbers on there website.
(HO Alternator)

Silver Member
Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 590
B. Where did you get that 300amp alt with 160 idle? If I can get a alternator like that I would consider it more than a smaller one with around that many amps at idle. Thanks.

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 680
You can always run a smaller pulley and get more charge at idle but you end up losing max amperage.Then you might have to run a shorter belt though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us