Best midbass woofers?

Bronze Member
Username: Joeman

Post Number: 15
I need some recommendations for midbass woofers to fo in my rear quarters. I already have brahma 10" subs and will be getting some SQ front components. My sytem will be 1000W for the sub and 125x4 RMS. There are factory 6x9 in the rear quaters and I want to replace them with custom fiberglass pods for either 6.5" or 8" midbass SQ woofers. I want something very SQ and loud for 125 watts. I had looked at Mpyre midbass and those look pretty good. Is there something else I should consider? maybe an 8"?

Silver Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 943
try out the AA poly 6.5's

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1374
tang bands, cdt, AA, DD...

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 268
I am also looking to buy some AA 6.5 poly mids can anyone tell me about them? 85$ for a pair shipped seems like a great deal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Could you guys be more specific with model numbers or direct links, please? I am not real familiar with car audio and brand acronyms. Are those woofers better than the Mpyre ones?

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1378
grant i can give you a review on the AAs hopefully pretty soon

from what i hear they are nice, how you you planning to run though?

Bronze Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 65
I just got the 6.5" AAs and am very impressed with their build quality. I havent had time to hook it all up yet to test them out but on first impression they seem worth it.

Silver Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 948
http://www.ascendantaudio.com/poly_6.5_page.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Wow those are cheap! But it makes me wonder if they are high quality.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1388
they are cheap because its right from the company. and that is per woofer

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
I plan to run them off of a Diamond Audio D3400.4 amp behind me for rear fill. This will be in a single cab F-150.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1392
your going to want to cross them over properly so they act as real midbass drivers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
OK AA 6.5's... any other suggestions? Anything in an 8"? Again I was wondering if anyone has heard the Mpyre 6.5 and what do you think of them.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1394
assassin 8
DD1008
SS rl-i
tang band 8
cdt 8

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
Well I just got done ordering the AA 6.5s and can you explain crossing them over Joseph? You mean just using my deck and amplifier right?

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 364
Waste of money, pls return them:-)

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1428
maris have you heard them, what dont you like about them. i was considering buying some to replace my type R midbass drivers.

im looking for a set to replace them because at times they sound a little "muddy" they are actually nice though most people dont give them enough creidt because they dotn give them enough power.

iv got 125 for each one. what do you think would be a good replacement? i want to keep it pretty cheap.

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 370
Hey Mat, sorry, I was simply joking.
Well, if you have $125 for each, you got some options.
You could get top of the line Dayton Loudspeaker on www.partsexpress.com, you will even have money left over and it will no doubt sound better than type R.
You could also be the one to try the new CDT "super" midbass, they got it on sale on www.woofersetc.com or you can talk to alteraudio:-)
Another option is - you could wait a little, save a little and get Scan Speak Revelators:-)

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 371
Oh I read again, you want to keep it pretty cheap - go with the Dayton Loudspeaker http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-374
or the 6". Just double check if your tweets will be able to that low to meet that midrange. If not then go with the CDT "super" midbass:-)

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1432
hm the cdts do look good. when i said 125 i ment to type RMS. im not set on a price yet but id like to keep it low if possible and still get some decent quality. what dont you like about the AAs. iv talked to some people who ran them at ca.com and didnt hear anything bad about them except for a few people got lead slap but that was with them x-overd at 60hz witch is low anyway.

when are the scan speaks supposed to be out? and about how much will they run?

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
Got my tracking number from AA today. They are pretty quick. I hope these are good.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1436
but they still cant respond to my email, hmm

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 373
Hi Mat,
Scan Speak has been out for a while. They are one of the very few finest speaker manufacturers in the world. They make drivers for Alpine F1 component set and Genesis Absolute, so check this out 7":
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=3025903.27281&pid=1165

5":
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=3025903.27281&pid=1160

Well they are priced per woofer, so of course they are not cheap, but it really doesn't get get much better than this.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1451
wow those do look nice. i decided to wait on getting the AAs, i like how my speakers sound now for the most part, plus i dont feel like wanting a new pair after the AAs. but ill be getting something down the line

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 413
Check out Scan Speak tweets, make sure you are sitting down before you look at the price:-), I amhttp://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=3025903.27281&pid=1920 absolutely trying these out sooner or later:-)

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1457
WOW that is pricy. thats a uniqe looking design on them too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
wow those prices are pretty rediculous lol. Look nice though. If I was going to pay that much they better have a sales woman come to my house and give me some special customer service if ya know what I mean. haha

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 424
That's true high end for you guys. That kind of equipment would match up nice with Alpine F1 HU and C2K amp:-)

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1129
The best mid bass drivers I heard were Vifa, and Diamond Audio. I m talking mid-bass, so 90-400 Hz only.

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 433
Vifa & Scan Speak belong to the same corporation.

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1133
Yes, but they arent exactly the same.

The treated paper Vifas are awesome :-) Vifas are usually more in a DIY price range where Scan Speak are pricier and therefore limit research.

As far as mid-bass is concerned, Vifas rule. They will fill a room or car with plenty warmth and still maintain transperancy. The medium weight of the cone gives you plenty of speed and punch. Thats what I look for in a mid bass driver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
I got my AA poly drivers today and I am very impressed by the build quality. I haven't installed them in my truck yet but, I hooked one up to a 1974 Marantz reciever free-air at around 60 watts and it sounded really nice. Lots of excursion for a small speaker.

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 441
mixneffect, pls know that I was not saying that Vifa and Scan Speak are the same. Scan Speak is more hand made and a little more R&D, and Vifas are more of a mass production drivers, however, they still are top of the line.

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1136
I understood your point. I just added some support to my pick for mid bass. :-)

I was keping value in mind when I gave my choice. Personally I would use the Vifa D28 35-06 instead of the Dynaudio Esotar for the same reason (value).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us