Help Choosing 6.5 inch Components $500 or less

Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 6
I'm upgrading my front components from polk db6500s and I've narrowed it down to this:

Rainbow CS 265 Profi's
CDT Audio HD-62/M6
CDT Audio ES-620
CDT Audio HD-62
Mmats PRO 6.5
CDT Audio EF-61FG/TW25 PRO
A/D/S 346cs

my price limit is 500..but the lower the better..im pretty stretched right now....ive seen all of those mixed and matched in comparisons with each other at some point or another i think...lemme know what you think ...im leaning towards the hd-62/m6 combo...

my main gripe with the db6500's is how they distort when i blare it with my windows down.....i would prefer not to have anything brighter than the polks.....i just want em crystal clear and REAL loud.

also feel free to add any suggestions if you can think of anything under 500 that would beat all of those. lastly, i can get the A/D/S's for $140 so just something to take into consideration when you judge......

Post Number: 7
also eD[i] 6500's are under consideration....please help with opinions....

Post Number: 9
um anyone..help?

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1305
i believe I sent you a PM so check your emails, but I can help you out with getting CDT since i'm a dealer. Just PM me or email me at sales@alteraudiousa.com

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 276
May want to look into Diamond Audio HEX btw.
What kind of amp do you run this on?

I like rainbows personally but other people do say they are bright.

Post Number: 10
alter...got your pm and i'll get back to soon as i decide...i'll prolly go cdt i think....but how bout polk sr6500's...anyone got opinions?

i checked out the hex's but i didnt like the tweeters on them.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 7496
how come nobody ever mentions DLS speakers??? lol

although i would go with the CDT's, alter can hook you up:-)

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 346
Hmm, DLS vs CDT - could pull either way:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I'm upping my budget to 600...another 100 can probably gimme some new options....how bout dynaudio 240gt's...focal 165 k2p's..or any other stuff? my problem is that i have to buy on faith. i have nowhere close to me that i can go listen to each one at. that's why im so desperate for opinions. i know this is kind of a cdt-biased website but i need some help. im willing to work with the focal k2p's to tone the tweeter down...that's probably my top choice right now. i found out the polk's i was lookin at were frauds and im not gonna spend 750 for real ones....so what about the k2p's? if i tone the tweets down do you guys think they can beat out all the others?

ps i actually have heard some dls's and i didnt like them otherwise i'd consider.

also...i looked at boston z6's but i dont feel like buying an amp to pump out 400 watts a side....id rather find something cheaper that pushes 150-200 a side. 400's pushin my price range big time on the amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
nvm polks are back in the hunt, found em for real for 540

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 349
Well I would no doubt go with Dynaudio GT's over K2P's. both are pretty flat if done right, however, Dynaudio's are warmer:-). See, doesn't matter what you do with that Focal tweet - it will ring, well the Utopia Be tweet of course is another story.
BTW, what DLS's did you listen to and what were they powered with?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
i think they were iridiums? maybe the nobeliums or whatever? whichever one is higher up. dono what they were powered by.

okay so k2p's are off the list.

so that leave dynaudio 240gt, polk sr6500, and a few i need help on:

i dono which rainbow to look at. i guess the phase plug ones are top of the line? whats the diff between those and the kick ones? and should i go for profi's or profi vanadium's if i want whatever model is between 500-600 or so? sry i dont know much about them.

i keep hearing about seas..especially the lotus model? i've had a very difficult time finding out information on these...if anyone can recommend the comps that'll put me at the 500-600 price range from seas, and if they're worth it for the price i'd appreciate it!!

also, i can't find any pricing on morel's. i think the elite model would be nice but i cant find an online dealer to buy from. anyone know how much they cost?

lastly...what cdt is best for a 2 way system price range 500-600 or so? cdt's huge lineup confuses the crap outta me.

sry to bug everyone but thanks for the help!!

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 361
I don't know much about Rainbow pricing, but they are not cheap I know that:-)

Between Dyn and Polk, I would go with Dyn, but the best would of course be for you to hear them both and decide for yourself.

Regarding Seas - google seaslotus, I think it's www.seaslotus.com

Morel Elate would be more than $600, however, you absolutely can go for Morel Hybrid Ovation, not that is a set that I have had and I loved it, it was powered by a Zapco C2K 6.0:-). You have to find a dealer through their website.

Regarding the CDT's, I pretty sure you could get the HD's, but I am not sure if $600 would be enough for ES's

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
ok ive got it down to the rainbows and the dynaudio's. my last question is...what model rainbow, be it profi, profi vanadium, or something lesser, and what subtype, ie phase plug, kickbass, or regular, is most similar to the dynaudio 240gt's? secondly, is there any rainbow under 650 that could put the dynaudio's to shame, no matter what kind? only requirement is it has to be a 2 way, not a 3 way.

i mainly listen to country, so the high's are very important. however when my friends are in the car we all listen to rap or modern rock, so i need somethin that's gonna shine on the low notes as well as the highs.

thanks for all your help maris i appreciate it!!

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 365
Well, I highly doubt that any Rainbow in the same price range will put the Dyn GT's to shame. As far as the low end is concerned Dyn's will play 35hz, well of course not at rated power.
Regarding the high end - just let the tweets break in and they will open up very nicely. Well I would no doubt go with the Dyns instead of say Profi Vanadiums. Now if we were talking about Rainbow Reference, then it would be a different story, but then we would be putting some Genesis Absolute's against them and it would be a heated debate on who is who:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
dyn's it is!! thanks maris!

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 279
Look at some Diamond Audio D9s

Bronze Member
Username: Style_front

Post Number: 13
How do the 3 way components of similar cost stack up to the discussed 2 way sets? I know cdt, dls, and focal all offer sets.

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 379
You are welcome MC,
do a good job on install, think about placement and positioning, try different things. You will like the way they play country, enjoy the music:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us