Need help selecting a new HU

Username: Audiobomb

Gainesville, Fl

Post Number: 1
Ok, so I am installing a new full range system in my chevy blazer including subs, a mono amp, 2 pairs of comp speakers and an amp for them. The only major peice I need now is the head, but I am stuck on which one to get.

I like pioneers, especially the DEH 880 and DEH 780, but these are just a little to pricey for me. Are there other pioneer units with simular features but at a cheaper price? I do not care much about cosmetics, I want something with exellent sound quality and that gives me plenty of options for adjusting the sound.

I looked into DEH 7700 and DEH 6800 and they arn't to bad... What is ya'lls opinions for the best Pioneer HUs in the 150-250 price range?
Preferably with Mp3 and ipod adapter options as well as good radio reception.

Also, my blazer has a larger than normal opening where the factory head is, I think 1.5 din.....If I could it would be nice to find an HU the same size, but they seem to be rare. Is this True? I was considering the pioneer deh P77DH, but several people told me it would not deliver the sound quality I thought. Is this also true?

Thanks for your help, JOE

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 210
DEHP680MP, step up to the Premier and get the extra warranty.

Silver Member
Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 577
Don't know how high end your system is, but whatever you get, make sure you'll be happy with it in the longer run. I personally love my p860mp :D. Way better than the sony I had.

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 290
Joe, for a decent balance of performance and price you'd probably be best served by the DEH-680MP. You'll get scaled down versions of most of the features you'll find in the 880 and 780 but for around $270 retail and a bit less at other online retailers. You won't have quite the sound processor or adjustment options of the 780 or 880, but there's still plenty to work with in the 680 and it's a significant step up from the 580. All of the modern Pioneer units offer multiple iPod hookup options (both direct iPod adapter and AUX in methods) and will have similar radio reception. I wouldn't go any lower end than the 680, as once you do you loose significant preout voltage as well as EQ options.

In terms of 1.5 din players, there are certainly fewer options. The P77DH may or may not offer you the sound quality you're looking for. The processor and pre-out voltage would be comparable to the 680mp, but the 680 offers a better EQ. I also happen to think a single din player with a properly installed dash kit looks better than a 1.5 player but that's strictly my opinion. I have a 1.5 din opening in my car as well and never liked the look of 1.5 aftermarket decks.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 342
Alpine
bump

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

S.F., Cal.

Post Number: 273
I've seen the 860 on Ebay for under $200. a few times in the last couple of weeks.

Silver Member
Username: Cavsmaxima

New York United States

Post Number: 413
get the 680 premier has tons of sh*t to adjust sound, a little confusing though.

Gainesville, Fl

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the replies guys. I will definently consider the 680, it sounds pretty good, or I might save a little more and get the 780, not sure yet but either one will be great.

Mac, the type of system I have goes as follows. (2) Alpine type R SWR 1222 D 12" subs and (1) Alpine MRD M1005 D mono amp to power them. I also have an Infinity Kappa 60.7cs comp set for my front doors and an Alpine SPS 171A Type S comp set for my back doors.
To power both comps I have a Kicker 06ZX 4-channel amp wich puts out 60rmsx4 at 4ohm or 90rmsx4 at 2ohm. I have to admit that I was also suckered into buying a cap, but now realize the possible errors to this investment.

Thanks agian for the replies.

Bronze Member

Gainesville, Fl

Post Number: 11
Way off topic, but what would ya'll think is reasonable to pay for (2) 12" MTX subs w/ 225rms each, both installed in a single ported box. They were used for 2 months by a good friend who knows his sh!t, so its not like they were abused. He is asking 175 for assemblege. Reasonable???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us