Sub-woofers for jazz....what's "best"?

which 10-inch car audio sub-woofers would you recommend for someone who usually plays mainstream and contemporary jazz - and not loud enough to wake up the neighbourhood?

the head unit is a nakamichi cd-700 and the amp a nakamichi pa-2004 driving audiodyne system 340 (3-component) speakers - installed in a 2-door/4-seater 1990 maserati biturbo 228 so, yes, space would likely be a problem.

i'm seeking something that's high-end, sounds _very_ natural and is very efficient in output.

thanks in advance, folks, and have a pleasant day and a great weekend.

~pete~

Derek
For a high-end sound, I will assume you are trying for a faithful, flat response and not for all out SPL.

Try and MTX 10" 8000. It requires from .66 to 1.1 cuft to reach 38Hz (3db down). Polk DX10 4 is simular. Kicker makes tons of woofers that will go deeper but will require literally 10 times the box volume for a flat response.

The bad news is the MTX will drink down watts faster than you Biturbo sucks down dead dinosaurs. You will need an 400+ watt RMS amp to get things going.

I usually buy from www.nexxon.com.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the recommendation, derek. (and, yes, i'm for sound quality rather than spl.)

since the pa-2004 which drives the system 340 is a 400w amp, another seems just a little too much - i had the 200w pa-2002 in mind for that.

what are your thoughts about the a/d/s a10s.2 (which someone somewhere mentioned is great)?

thanks, again, derek, and have a great week.

~pete~

Derek
I don't know the amp but a 340 watt amp with no specs on distortion, bandwidth and continuous duty is probably around 42 watts per channel if it's at 4 channel amp or 85 watts if it's stereo. That 340 number is its peak ouput and all channels combined and may be an estimate.

(340/2)/4 = 42.5 watts.

That MTX need 400 REAL watts RMS with less than 1% distortion at 20 Hz.

I calculate the A10s.2 as being down 3 db at 55Hz in a .5 to 1.2 cuft box. This woofer also has a sensitivity of 92 db per watt. The MTX is 83 db per watt. THAT'S 10 TIMES LOUDER. 45 watts in the ADS would be louder that 400 in the MTX. The ADS just doesn't go down as low. At 46 Hz they would be only 3 db apart (twice as loud). I'll let you make the call on that one. I must say the ADS must get pretty loud though.

Bytheway I had a pair of ADS AL-6s and they sounded pretty good right up to the point where the speaker wire came off of the driver - and that's from a 40 watt RMS per channel Kenwood amp labled as a 320 watt.

thanks, derek...you've really been a great help. have a great week.

cheers.

~pete~
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us