Help! Trying to find a remote power source for my amp-NOT EASY

Username: Dbbt

Tacoma, Wa Usa

Post Number: 1
I have a '99 Cadillac Seville and have a couple questions really about installing an MTX amp and keeping the stock deck. First, I'm going to install an amp for my 2 subs using an inline RCA out from the stock stereo, using the rear stock speakers to splice into to connect the inline RCA. OK, so i have connected my battery wire (constant 12 volt) power source and have a ground wire installed. Now I need a remote power source that turns off with the car! This is my problem, I have tried 3 different power sources and they all were constant 12 volt-no good.

The rear seat has been removed, that's where the battery in this car is, so that's where I am working...do i have to rip out the dash to find a remote source or does anyone know of another way...please advise any diagrams and/or any help on this as I have spent all weekend trying to do it alone...thanks guys for any help! :-)

Also, if I am going to splice into the rear dash speakers for my RCA connector, are there amps on those speakers already that i need to disconnect for my system to work? I haven't torn out the trunk yet to see if it has amps on the stock speakers but i think i've read they do

Silver Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 676
as far as the remote goes, there should be a fuse that turns off when the car does, I had mine hooked up to the same fuse that powered my radio, and even if you cant find one, try what i did...I put a toggle switch inline
like this

power for remote---->toggle----->amp

hope that was helpful

Silver Member
Username: Ruthless06

C-ville, Va USA

Post Number: 195
I believe the amps in those cars are seperate, so you can use a line out at the speaker leads. If it has a Bose system it might be amped at the speakers but more then likely not.

As far as a remote source you could use the remote turn on from the deck to the factory amp, just do some research on google and cadillac forums to find that out. Or get a multimeter and test.

Thats what I would do at least.

Silver Member
Username: Ruthless06

C-ville, Va USA

Post Number: 196
You could use a fuse or a ignition source, but they usually have a turn on pop. But using a toggle on that would work that way you could control the turn on pop. Either way works

Username: Dbbt

Tacoma, Wa Usa

Post Number: 3
power source is under the back seats so that toggle would work but would be a pain in the behind, plus if there is a pop i don't want that. There indeed is NO stock amp and i found out there is only a stock sub in the rear dash...i couldn't find an amp to power it and the deck doesn't have a sub control on it so does that mean that sub has to have an amp?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5685
Nick, for the remote wire, use the accessories/ignition. Do not use a toggle switch cause sometimes you might forget to turn it off.
You can also use the cig lighter plug as a remote trigger. Most modern cars will turn that plug off when you shut down the car. The only excepts were on cars in the 1980s.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us