JL - MEMPHIS

JL 500/1 - Memphis MCD500

Which would you pick?

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 354
JL. (Future wiring options)

Other than that i can see a reason to be swayed either way. Both are great amps.

Bronze Member
Username: Mitymouse

Post Number: 38
I'd go JL. It produces 500rms @ 4ohms where the Memphis needs a 2ohm load. The drawback to both is that neither runs at a 1ohm load.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 359
4ohm to 1.5ohm (JL)

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 1760
JL

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2892
JL

Silver Member
Username: Robman0079

Post Number: 134
what is the actual watts this thing puts out? cuz my friend got one and he says it puts out more than my viper 1200.1 which i seriously doubt

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
and im talking about the JL 500.1

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
and im talking about the JL500.1

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1261
i would only go jl because of the mutiple ohm thing, other than that, build quality and sound and customer service goes memphis

Bronze Member
Username: Longbluesquid

Post Number: 69
JL

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3012
depends on how amy subs and what voice coil config you use. If you used 2 dual 4 subs, I would run Memphis, if your going to use 1 and are not rally sure if your going to add another use the JL with a dual 4, and you could add another dual 4 at a 4 ohm load. I like the size of the memphis though more compact.

Gold Member
Username: B101

USA

Post Number: 3638
MEMPHIS!

and i dont think the JL is 1ohm stable...

I played my mc500.1 @ .5ohms for 1/2 a year!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2932
i'd only pick jl cuz of the wiring options like all the guys here.

B if you don't think the jl will run at 1 ohm, then wire the sub at 4 ohms hehe if is only a dual2 ohm.

And the viper has more output than JL... 1200w rms...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3646
jl runs at 1.5 - 4ohms, and puts out the same voltage at any ohm load in between. yea, I know that...

jl @ 2ohm VS memphis mc500.1 @ 2ohm (which its rated at)
:-) MEMPHIS!

Bronze Member
Username: Motomaze

Ont Canada

Post Number: 72
id go jl 1.5-4ohms and between 11.5volts to 14.4 500rms man it does it all

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 313
I don't like class D period:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2953
If you don't like class D then you should consider those amps, cuz they're more efficient...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3649
besides the ohm load crap! if ur a dummmy & cant figure out your ohm load, get a JL AMP!

If you want power get the Memphis amp!

MEMPHIS 500.1 @ 2 >>>> JL 500.1 @ any ohm load!!

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6980
I am with Maris:-)

Silver Member

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 324
More efficient and "dirty" as hell:-)

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 1466
Please let's not get into another class argument. If he is powering a subwoofer why not be more efficient?

Silver Member

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 329
Been there, done that, then done that again and again and again and know it for sure - it is impossible to get the subs sound as accurate with the class D as they sound with AB bridged.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1310
just out of curiosity maris what subs were you running and on what amps

Gold Member

Post Number: 2964
if both amps have good quality... you won't notice the difference except if one of them starts clipping...

Silver Member

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 334
At first I had 2 x 12" svc RF's, got them on sale $49 a pair, powered by sony xplod lol, actually, it didn't sound too bad. Later on I got a 500.2 Tantrum for them, that made a very noticable difference, oh sh:t I forgot, before the PG I also powered them with one of my Art 404's, which sounded very good, but then I decided to get rid of the Audiocontrol so there was no way for me to low pass those subs, cause no active xo on the 404 (the HU was a cheap Pioneer) so that's how I got to the Tantrum. Then Tantrum accidentaly got fried, so I decided to try PG Octane mono block, holy crap, I hated it so much that I got replacing the whole low end of the system. So I got a 10W6V2, got the Tantrum repaired for $80 and there I went again, sounded pretty good (to be honest 2 RF's sounded louder and better, only thing was - the JL could go lower that's it). At around the same time I was upgrading the front comps to Hybrid Ovations AND powered then with a C2K 6.0 ($602 used) so that gave 150W to a side on comps so my electrical started to stress a little AND THAT IS WHEN I started experimenting with the mono blocks to save the current. The first was the PPI PCX and that W6V2 sounded like total crap compared to when it was powered with the Tantrum 2ch bridged, then for about 1 week I tried JL slash mono and it sucked as well, Soundstream mono didn't do any better, so that is when I understood that class D is total sh:t. However, one of my buddies at work had a 10" RF (I think it was H series or something, a costly one) he powered it with Orion HCCA and he thought it sounded fantastic, lol, but when I heard it I saw the same sloppy thing as with PPI class D, PG class D and JL class D. So I guess different people hear different things lol.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1322
yeah that is werid, for a while i powerd my assassin 12 bridged off of a audiobahn a6004t 300rms then got the pg x400.1 and the xenon amp class D and if anything the SQ improved. but i definatly didnt notice any loss in to. but then again the aduiobahn amp isnt what youd call quality to begin with.

im suprised you didnt like the soudn with jl amps everyone talks so highly of them

Gold Member

Post Number: 2971
^^^^ with PPI either.... hmmm......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us