Subwoofers good or gone bad ???

andrew
I just bought two new rockford fosgate HE 12"s
i hooked them up to my amp which is just a 300 watt jense and seems like the speakers power keeps shutting off ive checked everything ive made sure my wires are all good and not touching and my speakers i bridged. i need some advice?

Derek
The impedence of the subs is too low for the amp. I don't have any "HE"s on my spreadsheet, only "HE-2" Duel Voice Coil. If this is what you have, each coil is 1.8 ohms and if you have both woofers coils wired in parallel, you are running .45 ohms! The amp is trying to tell you something. You may as well connect the possitive and negative wires with a rusty screwdriver.

No matter which woofers you have, try wiring the drivers in series with each other instead of parallel. That will quadruple your impedence. I bet the amp stops shutting down. Also, break the bridge. If your amplifier doubles in power when bridged but you only have one channel, you haven't gained anything and if you look in the amps manual you will find that its minimum impedence doubles when bridged (the amp is less stable). Bridging only makes sense when you only have one driver. You may as well run each driver with its own channel.

Hope this helps.

andrew
my amp stays on but its my speakers that seem like there some how going on and off very rapidly makeing weird sounds? can you help with that ?

Derek
Your amp may be powered on but it is disconnecting the woofers from its output stage to protect itself. It's very unlikely that the woofers themselves would go on and off and even if they did, they would be making some grundgy - dragging sounds as their voicecoils melted.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us