Question concerning 2ohm vs 4ohm

Username: 420gath

Post Number: 1
Perhaps you fine people can shed some insight on my question. I'm now shopping for new gear to put in the wife's car. I'm purchasing an Alpine 10in DVC sub. My dilema is wether to go with a 2ohm dvc or 4ohm dvc sub. I know that going 2ohm will harness more raw power from the amp but I was under the impression that putting a 2ohm load on the amp, while increasing output, would also de-emphasize the Signal-to-noise and Harmonic distortion. My goal is strong lower end but I don't listen to rap so I'm equally concerned with the quality of the bass output. I thank you in advance for your opinions or experience with this issue.

Anonymous

a 2 ohm DVC can only be wired for either 1 or 4 ohms, where a 4 ohm DVD can be wired for 8 or 2 ohms, I'd get the DVC 4 ohm, match it to a good mono sub amp. THD is misleading, don't go crazy looking for that, just look for decent amps.

Anonymous

Really, if sound quality is your thing, Alpine isn't the best for doing it. Image Dynamics, Eclipse, Resonant Engineering, Adire Audio, JL Audio are much better and are worth looking at. JL makes excellent amps, but they're gonna cost you. A good combo for sound quality is an Image Dynamics IDQ-12 and a JL 250/1 amp, in a sealed box. It's not really gonna rattle your teeth, but it will fill in very nicely and add strong bass with excellent sound quality.

Username: 420gath

Post Number: 2
thnx anonymous 1 & 2 lol. I had considered JL and your recommendation was well taken. I am not looking for bone rattling base wich you pointed out so the JL and IDQ-12 sound like a great combo - I will do a little research on them before making a purchase. Thnx again for your opinions.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2941
the IDQ12 is a fantastic SQ sub.
know a guy who just went to a car meetup night, and auditioned every car he could find
said his favorites by far were the Eclipse and Image Dynamics subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us