How do i wire up 2 amps?!?!?!

Unregistered guest
I have got a 2 amps these are:

Sony Mono Amp 800 Watts (running a Audibahn 12" 1000 Watt Max)

Terminator 400 Watts (running Audibahn 6x9 400 Watt Max)

I was wondering what is the best way to wire these up in the car?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2804
with an amp wiring kit (at least 4 gauge) and a distribution block.
www.knukonceptz.com
www.partsexpress.com

goochydask8er
Unregistered guest
Thanks!

What size fuse should i use? and how many?

Bronze Member
Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 14
Wal-Mart has scosche brand amp kits. Check their website, search "amp kit". They've got a dual amp kit for $24.94. I just used one for an install over the weekend, no complaints. Includes everything but speaker wire. Picked up 2 50ft spools of 14g speaker wire for $9 something each. I figure I saved alot of money, and it's all quality.

good rule of thumb seems to be to match the amperage total on your amp fuses. I had a 50 and a 60A fuse on my amps, kit came with a 100A, that'll do, I know I won't be pulling that much current, cuz I care more about SQ than SPL.

Bronze Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 51
1)Is www.knukonceptz.com a legit company? Ive been hearing alot of car audio website are all scams.

2) Ok when wiring 2 or more amps, do you need a sets of RCA jacks for each amp to go in the back of your HU?

Username: Quadforce

Post Number: 10
www.knukonceptz.com is fine... ordered an amp kit from them last week :-)

Bronze Member

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 52
Did you get it back yet Dilonblair?

Username: Blindell

Post Number: 8
"2) Ok when wiring 2 or more amps, do you need a sets of RCA jacks for each amp to go in the back of your HU? "

That depends on if you want 2 different signals.. if one amp is comming from your subwoofer out (if your HU has them), then yeah, you want a different line.. if you are using say, your rear outs for your rear speakers AND for your subwoofer signal, then look on your amp for a preamp out rca connection.. many of them have them, and run it over to your new amp.

And as far as walmart wiring kits go.. Im not gunna buy ANYTHING from a company that markets ANYTHING sound related as "FAST AND THE FURIOUS".

Im sorry, just not gunna happen.

www.ebay.com <-- my source 4 life

Bronze Member

City of Angels

Post Number: 15
blake, i feel ya about buying cables from wal-mart, but how about target, they now carry harman kardon amps. it's the dawn of a new era my friend, embrace it, or fall by the wayside.

Bronze Member
Username: Quadforce

Post Number: 11
Jason, yes took two days to get to me :-)

Bronze Member

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 54
ok I'm stil confused. I already have 2 amps in my car. (1 for subs and 1 on my mids) I'm in the process of buying another sub and amp. How would I hook this up. I kow you guys explained it but can someone simplify it a little more for me. My HU is by Alpine ( and im not sure of the model # off hand) Does it have 2 sets of jacks on the back of it to hook up 2 amps?

Username: Raivun

Post Number: 1
Ok First off i need tp know if i can hook up 2 amps without an extra power and ground kit I just wanna use one power wire and ground and hook another wire from one amp to another instead of from battery to amp cause i'm lazy and cheap lol

and
i got a Fast and Furious Kit aint a damn thing wrong with it scince it only cost 120 bucks it is good for the price
my other amp is a pyramid 240wat arctic and i did buy 2 JL Audio 12s in bass box from a freind at work for 125 bucks is that a good price?

Bronze Member

City of Angels

Post Number: 27
jeremiah, no problem, just run one power cable from the battery to the trunk, for instance, then use a distribution block (they're cheap) which splits out into two cables, one for each amp. each amp must be grounded separately and preferably to the same point on the metal chassis of the vehicle to avoid ground loops.

some think you need a fuse at the distribution block, in addition to the inline fuse at the battery, and the fuses on the amps themselves. it's not necessary but makes it easier to diagnose the problem if fuses start blowing.

have fun and good luck and don't forget to disconnect the negative battery post before starting the job.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3114
as for fuse sizing, give me the RMS power output of each amplifier (total/combined channels) at the load they'll be driving.
then I can tell ya..
or calculate it for yourself.
figure out how much RMS power the amp will put out
divide by 12
then for a class AB amp (2 or 4 channel, mids/highs amp) multiply the result by 1.4
or for a class D mono sub amp, multiply by 1.2

that's your fuse size, approximately.
round up to the closest size fuse.

for the main inline fuse, add the amp totals together.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us