Glasswolf, question about AP boxes

Anonymous

I saw another post with you mentioning the Aperiodic enclosure, I went to the link and saw the 12 mounted in the door. I have a convertible, and are about to make custom door panels, anyway. I was thinking I could put a 10" sub in the door and put a component system in kick panels, I've heard the sound quality of AP boxes are excellent and this way I don't lose as much bass when the top's down. Will having the sub close to components sound really good, or drown out the sound? Also, I was wondering if AP enclosures would add the same amount of sound quality and flat response with a 6 1/2 component speaker in one, or should I just dynamat the kick panel enclosure? I can work fiberglass, I just want to know what will give me the best sound quality.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2816
I wouldn't put a 10" sub in the doors.. way too large and heavy, and deep.
AP really works more ideally in a car with a trunk, where the trunk acts as the rear compartment of the enclosure.
otherwise you end up having to cut holes in the car to vent the AP enclosure to the outside.

AP setups are very clean, but not very loud.. in that convertible, you're going to want loud to overcome road noise.

Anonymous

So should I put a sealed in the trunk? I was just worried about the fact that the convertible hydraulics separate the trunk from the cabin, so I was scared that I would get trunk sound. Maybe I can find some sort of hole to connect the trunk's airspace with the cabin. How much quieter than a sealed enclosure are AP boxes for future reference? I have Infinity Kappa perfects running on 100W RMS, How much power to the sub in AP would be needed to balance out if it was between the cabin and the trunk?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2851
well, the subs in an AP box play through a membrane, which controls the spike in efficiency near the speakers' Fs so down about +3dB perhaps.. but with much tighter control for more detail and clarity.
Anwyay, you may even be able to turn the trunk into an AP enclosure for the subs.. its worth playing around with.
you could also try to couple the cabin with the trunk as you suggested.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us