Yeah....Im lost =P

Username: Whitewidow

Post Number: 1
Alright, so I'm trying to figure out how all this stuff works, and after trolling around several websites all I have found is that too many people have no idea wtf they're talking about. So this message is directed at the other croud that has a grasp of knowledge in this area.

I have my choice at the 12" alpine type-r...either the DVC 2ohm or 4ohm. I have been told the 2ohm one is the way to go. If that is the case what type of amp should I be looking for? If its DVC at 2ohm then my wiring options leave me at 1ohm or 4ohm stable amps right?

500rms 1500max wattage

Should I wire parallel or series? If the wattage is 500rms on the subwoofer, should I be looking for an amp that does 500rms at that corresponding ohm level (i.e. 1 or 4).

Any ideas would be great, I can't seem to figure out what I should be looking for. Any links etc. would be a big help.

Thanks for you time

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2719
depends on the amp K cha, a 2 ohm version has the same performance as a 4 ohm version, just different ohm loads.

If you're getting the dual 4 ohm version, get an amp putting 500-600w rms at 2 ohms and wire the sub in parallel.

If you're getting the dual 2 ohm version get a 1 ohm stable amp putting 500-600w rms and wire your sub in parallel.

I recommend you to get PG xenon 600.1 from www.woofersetc.com

That amp allows you to power with 600w rms all subs with 1-4 ohm impedances.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 3186
well, you either pick out the woofers, then match an amp to them depending on how they can be wired (VC configuration).

or you get an amp and get woofers with a VC configuration that will match with the amp for optimal output.

also need to consider the number of woofers you want to use when doing this.

so if you go with your dual 2 ohm woofer, whether you wire in series or parallel depends on the amp. if you wire in series for a 4 ohm load, you will need an amp that puts out around 500WRMS at 4 ohms. but if you wire in parallel for a 1 ohm load, you need the amp to put out around 500WRMS at 1 ohm.

example:
eD NINE.1 - 1200Wrms @ 1 ohm
Kicker ZX1200.1 - 1200Wrms @ 2 ohms

Post Number: 2
I will just be getting one of the type-r and plan on putting it in a sealed box. So the ohm differences wont make any difference whether its the 2ohm or 4ohm DVC model? If that is the case, say I pick the 2ohm model DVC model. Again 500rms 1500max.. With no amp should I plan on wiring the dvc parallel or series?
I am looking to match 500rms or close to right? Within a certain wattage range? Better to go little over/little under? Mono amp best choice over a bridged 2 channel (price/performance) when just using it to power 1 sub?

Sorry about all the questions...new and inexperienced, but very interested in the topic. So any other advice on what to look for in sub/amp etc. would be valued.

Thanks again =)
kcha

Silver Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 441
WhiteWidow

Have you ever had whitewidow before>

Gold Member

Post Number: 2726
get a 500w rms or 600w rms amp at 1 ohm... tell us a budget.... And try getting a class D cuz is more efficient

Post Number: 3
Yes to Joey >=D

juliob thanks a ton man been a huge help so far...i really like knowing what im doing thoroughly before i do it. Budget hmm...thats a tougher question =P. I will probably have around 250ish for amp/box. Boxes ive seen are about 40 bucks for a 3/4" sealed..incl. shipping. (but again an area im not real familiar with, but feel sealed will be the best option for my music choice). So 210 or so incl. shipping? If that isn't a realistic range let me know and I'll see what i can do. Heard Alpine V12's are nice and MTX amps...but this is all just from a most likely biased source =P

once again thanks..have a good one

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9267
type Rs do sound nice sealed

here's a different idea u can buy just 1 4 chan amp which will power both ur fr door speakers & ur 1 sub - 2 rear chan will power the sub ....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2731
`^^^^^ he's going to need more money if he does that.

Get an orion 600d and a dual 2 ohm type R.

then get a good sealed box. Do it that way and you might save some money of those 250$

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 675
for your situation, i would recommend something like the alpine mrp-m650 (600w rms at 2 ohm) and the dual 4 ohm type-r. the majority of 500-600w rms mono amps are only 2 ohm stable, so a single dual 4 ohm type-r may be the way to go.

rovin even had a good idea. have your considered upgrading and amping your front speakers? if so, there are some good 4 channels amps that you can use the 3+4 channel bridged for the sub, and the 1 and 2 channel for each front speaker. the alpine mrv-f545 is a great example, 500w rms x 1 @ 4 ohm bridged (channels 3 and 4) + 125w rms x 2 @ 4 ohm (channels 1 and 2). note: you would need the dual 2 ohm type-r for this set-up to work properly.

other amps to consider that are a good combination of price, quality, and power are kicker, mtx, rockford fosgate, orion, even hifonics now.

now for the enclosure, make sure if you buy a pre-fab enclosure that it falls into the recommended volume for that subwoofer. if your more about sound quality than pure loudness, sealed is a good decision.

and finally, the amp you decide on will determine what impedence sub you need (dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm) and how you wire it, be it series or parallel.

Silver Member
Username: Tremor1127

Post Number: 255
ahhh, white widow... i just drooled a little...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us