Switch for amp

iamduff
Unregistered guest
Ok got an idea that i want to know how to make. I want a switch inside my car somewhere on my dash.

Prolly in the place of a current coin holder that i can take out.

I want the switch to be able to turn on and off my amplifier. Is this possible and how do i do it?

Bronze Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 66
you could just get any on/off switch, just a toggle or something and put it on your remote wire...that will allow you to turn the amp on and off.

h g
Unregistered guest
no

JJ
Unregistered guest
yes do what marshall said just go to the store and get a toggle switch and hook up the remote wire to it and their up go that is the ONLY way i will set up my systems so if you ever have an older person in the car you can turn the amp off and just run your components.

Anonymous

That'll work, But only if you are running it with RCA cables (which I'm sure you are) Not sure what kind of amp you have, but some automatically detect signal from RCA's too (JL Audio's come to mind.) More likely than not, the remote wire on a toggle switch will work great

iamduff
Unregistered guest
ok i have the remote wires. and yes its running off of RCA Cables. where is the remote currently running to. the head unit im expecting. so i just change that remote wire to a toggle switch on my dash somewhere. i think i got it . if not please explain a little further.

thanks alot man. yes thats why i want to use it, older people and my girlfriend who isnt too fond of my kicks.

Bronze Member
Username: J_capone

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 15
i think you have to splice in a wire for the remote wire...that goes to the toggle switch

if you remove the remote wire from the head unit, your amp will never turn on..

so i think youll have 3 wires all wired together...the head units remote...the amps remote..and then the wire for the toggle switch..

i think it should work like that..

good idea though..

this thread is influencing me to get a toggle switch as well

JJ
Unregistered guest
all you need the do is cut your remote wire plug one end on one side of the toggle and the other piece of wire in the other side and turn it on and you are ready to go. you are very welcome for the help. i know how it is my wife doesn't think much of my 1600 watt JL system either lol.

and yeah james try it you have nothing to lose.

Anonymous

you don't need 3 wires just the remote wire it works just like a light switch.

Username: Blindell

Post Number: 7
Wow that hilarious, that same idea came to me like 3 days ago.. you could just go down to home depot or radio shack and buy a switch...

Especially will be nice for my mustang, as my factory cd player I took out left a nice gaping hole.. perfect for 2 bass boost knobs and a amp switch!

I plan to leave my mid/highs amp on the remote turn on (as I will want them on whenever I have my cd player on), but my cap and sub amp im going to wire to the switch... also helps because my JVC LH300's remote turn on has "200MA MAX OUTPUT OR YOULL KEEL MEH!!" written all over it

Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 3
ok so this is basically how you would wire this switch thing

(Amp)-----(split)-------------(Head Unit)
|
|
|
(Switch)

hope this looks right.
anyway so you just cut the middle of the remote wire then re-wire the two cuts and add the switch wire all together?

sorry i just dont want to screw up something in my car.

Michigan America!

Post Number: 4
well that didnt work the way i wanted.. anyway the wire going down should come down from where i split it ... correct?

Michigan America!

Post Number: 7
ok i looked on sound domain. could only find switches for lighting or "accessories". it said it would require seperate relays for high-current devices like amps. what does this mean?

if you find one that would hook straight up to a Amp Remote wire please tell me where to find it. thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Blindell

Post Number: 24
Yikes your not gunna wanna use the actual power cable... switching 100+ amps is just a bit weird..

Why not take the remote turn on lead (that usualy plugs into your cd player) and use that?

JJ
Unregistered guest
go to walmart and get a toggle switch and yeah it should be just like you said up top.

Amp-------Split--------headunit

toggle switch

and you want a switch like this one
http://doityourself.com/store/1899426.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 71
...yea that's exactly what i originally recommended...

hope it works out for you man!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us