Box for my kicker cvr

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 173
i just got my 1st decent sub!!! i was planning on gettin a dd 2512 but never got the money. well i built the box for the 2512 its 2.5^ft and tuned to 44hz. i put that cvr in it to hear what it sounded like. well it hits the high bass but not the low bass. i want it to hit low. will it sound good at 32hz? i had a 10in mtx 4000 in a 2.3^ft box tuned to 33hz. it hit low and loud for a 10. but most of all it sounded good. i need to no if the cvr will sound good tuned to 32hz. and how big should the box be? 2.5?

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 1424
2.5cuft is good....id go 34-36hz

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
why 34-36? will it sound better?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3772
yea. 44 hz is wayy too high.

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 1426
yea, around 35hz will get low and have some spl

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
yeah.. in no, lol i didnt no it was 44hz till a little bit ago. i just made the box thats on ddaudio.com its a cutout sheet. i figured it was to specs. which i guess specs is 40 hz so i dunno what i was thinkin. lol so what should i tune it to 32hz or 35hz? and will a bigger port be louder? what port width would u go with?

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
so what port width whould u go with?

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
im thinkin bout this.. it should be loud
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=20&Eh=14.5&Dia=6&Xmax=25&V d=.16&NumW=1&Vb=2.5&Fb=35&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3774
do you need the box that deep?

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
no... hows this?
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=25&Eh=14.5&Dia=6&Xmax=25&V d=.16&NumW=1&Vb=2.5&Fb=35&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3776
ur specs are wrong... you never said if ur sub was a 12", but as far as the input specs on subtools...

you had 25 mm as the woofer exmax -- a cvr12 has an exmax of 12.64 mm

the driver displacemtn you put in was .16 cu ft. -- they list their driver disc. as 122.1 cu in. so 122.1/1728 = .070601 cu ft

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
yeah well i guessed at the displacement. and the xmax determines how big the port it... is a bigger port width mean more bass? is 1.75in wide enough? is 22.75 enough port area? and yeah technicly i did say it was a 12.. i said its in the box that i made for a 25"12". lol it ok though

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3779
o my bad. the xmax is just the excursion of the sub basically. and the displacemtn, is how much space the woofer takes up

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3780
so xmax doesnt just determine how big the port is...

yea, 22 sq inch of port is fine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
yeah... i understand that. what im sayin is that i dont think 1.75in is wide enough. and wouldnt it be louder with a 3in port?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3781
that port width is fine. for subwoofertools.com they calculate everything for you, and the port needs to be 1.75" in width to get ur desired tuning.

when you increast the port width, the tuning increases..

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
and to make a cut sheet on sub..tools you have to put in the xmax... the higher the xmax the bigger the port. i no xmax is the excursion. so wouldnt a 3 in port b louder than a 1.75in port? and i want to b sure i DONT have port noise!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
so 1.75 wont have port noise?

Silver Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 419
1 CVR 12"

2.25cf + port displacement
3"x12.5"port,20.5"long

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
so joey u say i should have a 3in wide port?

Silver Member

Post Number: 421
Yes

3"x12.5"

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3785
ok dude. i told you. the bigger the port width = the higher the tune. if ur box is at 32 hz, and its 1.75" in width, and you change it to 38 hz, the width is gonna be like 3" or somthin.

those dimentions i belive are from kicker's website or somthin. i dont go by anything that they say. i have the cvr's and i wouldnt tune them over 36 cuz it just looses alot of everything.

just because you have a wider port doesnt mean you will have port noise. you can have a .2" port and have lots of port noise or a 7" wide port and have port noise. what you need to do with slot ported boxes is to sand (just the inside corners) of the port so thats when the sub pushes the air, it moves past the end of the port in a smooth way, not a sharpe way.

im guessin that the tuning that joey gave you is proly around 38-40 hz, which i dont like wit the cvrs

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
ok i know what ur sayin... i made up for the bigger opening. if the width is 2in and 4in long ok say 40hz (estimating). now if a want the port to be 4in wide i compensate for the wider port. like this: 4in wide and sayyyy 6in long. get what im sayin.. as long as i calculate it ill b fine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
ok so this is 3in wide port and is still 35hz.
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=22.5&Eh=14.5&Dia=6&Xmax=20 &Vd=.07&NumW=1&Vb=2.5&Fb=35&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3788
you still havent chaged ur cvr exmax. you still have it at 20.

i dont know why you are wanting to have ur port to be wider. there is no calculating involved. just chage the tuning on subtools.com and it changes everything for you.

having a port being wider isnt gonna make you any cooler. i like the cvrs in a box tuned to 32-33 hz

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
well isnt it louder with a 3in port than with a 1.75?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3791
yea. because its gonna have a higher tune.

meaning more spl. but its gonna really lack in the sq IMO. i have had mine ported 38 and 32. and i like 33 better

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
ok thanx for all ur help.:-)

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3793
yep

Silver Member

Post Number: 425
justin

Go to Kicker.com and click on subwoofers then click on manual find Comp VR and click on that and you'll find the spec there.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3795
he already knows the specs.. he basically has his box designed

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
hey bassman, how many did u have? did u ever get them metered?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3799
i have not. but there are some people that get theirs to 142 dbs is what i have heard. i have 2

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
so if i have them in the right box and the right amount of power i could hit 142-3 for port factor -3 for only having 1 sub so i could hit 136? thats good for 1 12 isnt it.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3801
that 142 was done by a person who is extremely good with boxes and install. it would be hard for you to acheive that. but it will give you good bass for a 12 thats not a very expensive sub :-) :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us