DD 9512's need a custom box?

Bronze Member
Username: Impala63rag

Post Number: 81
just bought two DD 9512's. someone told me not to buy a pre-fab box. why would they need anything other than a regular ported box?

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 204
Most all subs require a diffent amount of cu for the enclosure, and tuning.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
so the sound quality will be off with a regular box?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3439
you have some dam nice subs on your hands...done baulk on a good box!!!

Why pay $100 for a prebuilt box than may or maynot sound good when you can build a very nice box for them for less???

Hit me w/ an email and i'll help you out w/ a box design.

marshall_white2004@yahoo.com

tell me your vehicle and power.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 205
Many things "could" be off.

Find out what the tuning should be, and the cubes you need, and see how the prefab matches.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
did some research, and called a box builder. he's building two boxes to digital design specs. 2cu. ft. , 30in. port area, 16in. long bent. double thick in the front for $200 + shipping.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
the smaller the box, the better the sq and response, right?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3746
thats a horrible price. 2 custom boxes????/ wtf hahaha, you need 1 box, that houses both subs. cant belive you just did that without eve askin anyone. there are plently of people on here that would help you out designing one, instead of wasting a bunch of money because the box is proly tuned to 40 hz, which mans no sq whatsoever

and also, those subs should be gettin alot more than 2 cu ft hahahaha per sub haha 30

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
it has to be two boxes to get them in the trunk without taking the back seat out and cutting the braces. that's dd specs at 40 hz. where does it need to be tuned to for sq. and how? the guy said they perform better in a small box.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3750
nooo. which guy is this? since you wanted some nice sq, i would have tuned it to 33-35 hz. and 2.0 cu ft for that big of a sub is ridiculoud. you have to look at what DD recommends as cu ft. 2.0 is like the size for a 12" kicker cvr

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
dd specs offer four options, all at 40hz. 2ft, 2.25ft., 2.5ft., and 2.75ft.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
if i'm doing something wrong, let me know so i can call him back to change the design.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1028
id have them tuned to 35hz in probly 2.5

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3751
yea ^^. 2.5-2.75 is what i would go for each. also, you can give dj from dd a call, or shoot him an email, and he will design you the whole box for you. then you can give it to your "box buidler" so he can make it from that. make sure you brace that whjole box too, from top to bottom front to back, and side to side

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
i went back to the web site and i misread it. it says box sizes for high efficency (probably meaning spl) regarding 40hz right? i'm on hold for tech support at dd.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3753
ok. good. they will help you out. they rec. 40 hz for ALL of their subs. but thats not for dailty driving. i would tune it to 35 hz. tell them that.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3441
actually 2cuft (net) tuned to 40hz w/ 30sq inches of port would be a pretty good box for a DD9512.

You would be surprised at how good that DD9512 will sound in that box...but its gonna want some REAL power. Personally, I would have gone 2.5cuft each (one 5cuft box).

I have learned that DD subs act totally different than other suds since i got my DD9515. Even in my 2.9cuft (net) box tuned to 41hz...that 15" gets LOW! It surprised me...I took my SX15 out and dropped the DD in. The DD got lower and louder. My jaw dropped. It was like that DD had no regard at all to the boxes "on paper" tuning.

But anyways...i would try 4.5-5cuft net tuned to ~38-40hz w/ 70-85sq inches of port. You will be amazed.

Oh...and give those 12's at least 1500wrms each. :-) 2000w+ would be better.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3443
BTW....that 2.9cuft box i'm talking about was a slap together box i built for a comp awhile back. I still had it in my truck and just used it for the hell of it.

I'm building a 4.5cuft box this weekend.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
tech guy said to go with 2.5 cu.ft. and brace it. tuned to 40hz. with a 16in. long bent port. 37.50in. port area.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3756
yea, thats what he recommends. but in your other long 200 post thread you said you wanted some sq. you wont get much sq when tuned to 40 hz. 35 would be great

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 1864
bassman a good sub will have good sq at a 40hz tuned box...u have herd 40hz right???
well my ssx is tuned to 40hz daily and it sounds fine....BUT the reason is i do have aeros and aeros tend to hit a lil smoother then slot ported
and also i have my BB set all the way down cause
it causes to mush distortion...don say 40hz doesnt
have good sq b/c tht is not tru ask muddy as well
40hz isnt high now tht i think about it....
go 40hz man itll sound great....
AND WHAT EVER MARSHALL SAYS LISTEN TO HIM
THE FU*KER KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKIN BOUT :-)

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3757
lol. i guess so. i have heard 40 hz before wreckless. a couple times, i just didnt like how it sounds. i have seen a couple people with dd 9512's and they like mid 30's over 40. yea it will have sq at 40 hz, but this guy had another thread where he wanted basically a pur sq set-up and wanted to put these dd's in a sealed box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1872
oh-okay
now i gotcha :-)
tune low then i suppose but im tellin u 40hz doesnt sound bad in my ears

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
how do you drop the tuning? is it the size of the port? i thought the reason for getting the custom box was to get it to factory specs. this box is being made by a digital design dealer with an in-house box builder who knows the tech guys at dd personally. i called tech support and requested a sq box and thats what they told me. the box builder knows that also. i don't know, im just assuming they do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
how does that work ? what changes does it make in the way it sounds by lowering or raising the tune frequency? high tune= low bass, spl?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3758
do you have aim? if you do i'll help you out, im bassmanthree

it will be alot faster than this. i'll design you a box also

Gold Member

Post Number: 1877
do u realize how much it costs to ship a box????
i dont think u do...lets put it this way ull probably end up paying in the 350-425 for two boxes shipped the cheapest way....
build ur own box we will HELP u
dont pay 200 dollars for a box u can build for 20
okay?
tell the guy ur not doin it...

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3759
yep. ^^ i will help ya make ur own man. its soo much easier and so much cheaper its crazy. IM me... wreckless i neva see you on much :-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 1884
i told u sweet cheeks
my computer crashed im in the process of getting
another one so i can only get on my sis or work computer ..but at my work im not ALLOWED on AIM
so i rarely go on aim..but thtll change in bout another week :-)

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3760
iight cool

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
i appreciate the willingness to help. i don't have the tools or the know how to do something like that, and the shipping is included for the $200. i called back to discuss a bigger box and asked about shipping. he said don't worry bout it , it's on me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1893
all u need is a drill and a caulk gun and a router and ur set home depot suts wood...
we design u put together and ur set for 20 bucks

ITS CAR AUDIO NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!!

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3766
you dont even need a router.

all you need is a simple skill saw, and some silicone :-)

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3767
of course it would make it look nicer,

thats so expensive man. you dont even know how easy it is to make a box... really.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
i've been working on a poker table and chip tray's for a year. not my thing.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2623
hey guys theres a reason dd doesnt post full specs on there subs because they dot use them they just test them but they sound awesome around 40 i had mine at 38 and now im going wiht a 39 its great trust me still hits the lows

Username: Djl

Post Number: 5
All DD and Audioque subs are designed to play notes well below box tuning. 40 hz tuning will give you a very good combo of sq and spl. If you want to play notes you can't hear you can tune around 35-36 hz. Because many people use our subs for spl comps they of course tune the boxes very very high for max spl and the result is poor sound quality. I don't know of any sub that sounds good tuned ar 55-60 hz. Most people base thier opinon on our subs soundquality when listening to the sub in a maximum spl application.

If you put the sub in the boxes we reccomend with the proper tuning they will surprise most people with how well they sound. People who have done "BLIND" testing of subs are often very surprised when they find the DD or AQ sub in the box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1907
two words!!!!!

INTERCHANGEBLE PORTS!

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3775
hey, are you gonna hang out at this forum dj? it will be really nice :-) :-)

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3451

quote:

All DD and Audioque subs are designed to play notes well below box tuning. 40 hz tuning will give you a very good combo of sq and spl. If you want to play notes you can't hear you can tune around 35-36 hz. Because many people use our subs for spl comps they of course tune the boxes very very high for max spl and the result is poor sound quality. I don't know of any sub that sounds good tuned ar 55-60 hz. Most people base thier opinon on our subs soundquality when listening to the sub in a maximum spl application.

If you put the sub in the boxes we reccomend with the proper tuning they will surprise most people with how well they sound. People who have done "BLIND" testing of subs are often very surprised when they find the DD or AQ sub in the box.

Good to see DJ here.
What he said plays in nicly w/ what i said above. I was surprised at how good my 9515 sounded in 2.9cuft tuned to ~41hz.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3790
yea. i have no dought it would sound great. but im just saying that this guy had another thread where he wanted pure sq, and was going to put his dd's in a sealed box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
i am really excited about these subs. i can't wait to hear 'em. thank you all for your time and dedication to improving car audio for us all. if you all hadn't took the extra effort i'd been stuck with the mtx 9512's. i was really difficult and stubborn (amplifiers, will orion push 2x9512's)yet, the people on this forum guided me to a better decision.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3792
so wuts ur final box gonna be?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
for once in my life, i'll finally have a system that can be turned up and be satisfied. i hate it when you give it everything it has and you still crave more. it's so disapointing to be at that distorted "not where you want it to be" level. it's frustrating. those days are gone. i hope to be real happy with these. thanks to you all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
2 x custom ported 2.5cu. ft., 16in. bent port, 37.50cu. in. port area, tuned at 40hz.
it would be cool to do it myself. i'm just not on that level. rather leave it to professionals. it's worth the bread to get it right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us