Setting gains

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 171
if my head unit is 1.8mv rms and 4 volts max what should the gain be on my amp?

Silver Member
Username: Highstone

Post Number: 272
i believe it should be the same as your head-unit's voltage.. so i believe it should be 4 volts... I would get someone else's opinion as well..

Gold Member
Username: Drsmith

Montana USA

Post Number: 1069
go to subwoofertools.com and they have a section about setting the gain, go buy a $15 dmm and use the tutorial and the website, i doubt it should be 4 on the amp though

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL USA

Post Number: 486
that means it porbally depends on how your HU is setup, do you have extra bass\subwoofer options on it? it may be adjustable to change higher and lower..

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 172
umm it has loud but its off. and the bass is at 0.

Silver Member

IL USA

Post Number: 487
Set your Bass at 1\2 its max and LOUD is really just optional, i would keep it off if your looking for SQ, but if your going for more SPL, you may want to turn it on.. it tends to distort at lower volumes with it on then with it off

Silver Member
Username: Kenwa

Post Number: 338
Loud is not just optional, it is not good to use the loud setting at high volumes. The loud setting is to bring out the depth in the music at low volumes.

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 508
There's ways to set it by ear (which i've found to be the common preference of people on this forum - in the past).
Gimme a bit... I'll get back to you with a GOOD website that will TEACH you what you want to know, instead of us just TELLING you.

Besides, I feel stupid when I act smart and I know I'm not - vs - being smart enough to do something helpful. lol

Sound good, bro?
Check back on this thread later. OK?

Peace.

Silver Member

Post Number: 509
Well, I'm back!
Faster than we both expected, I'm sure...

Your gonna love these 2 websites, man. Anybody else out there who would like to LEARN - you wouldn't be wasting your time to check these out!!! 2 of my personal favorites when I was diving in... (all refered to me by past members on THIS FORUM - of course!)

ECOUSTICS RULES!
lol

Anyways, FIRST read this: http://www.lenardaudio.com/education/01_eduintro.html
any and all parts that interest you

THEN go here:
http://www.bcae1.com/
#63 is the one you are looking for, but don't be surprised if you spend MUCH longer than you expected playing with all the tools it includes. Truely a GREAT website!!!!!!!!!!

I know, I know, I overdid.
lol

Take care... and BOOM RESPONSIBLY!
lmfao

Peace.

Silver Member

Post Number: 510
Damn!
I just had to float around that site again... it's the f,u,c,k,i,n,g s,h,i,t! Don't you agree?!?!?!

ha ha

If anyone wants to donate to the "Help Sean Buy Subwoofers He Can't Afford Foundation" - let me know. I'll start up a telethon if thats what it takes.
lol

ok, I'm done with this thread - I promise.
lol
(I'm ON ONE tonight. Can you tell???)
lmao

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 3160
Sqrt(Watts RMS X Ohms) = VAC

take the square root of the RMS power and load. that'll give you the AC voltage you need at the amp output. Play a test tone, 50Hz for subs, 1KHz for mids and highs, and use a DMM to adjust the gain until you reach the calculated voltage.

not totally accurate and an Oscilloscope would be best but its a great place to start.

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 1425
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 3168
^ only works for JL's slash series amps ^

Silver Member

IL USA

Post Number: 532
I have a question about this... say i use my eq. that is built into my HU and boost it to +6db does that raise my preout voltage\cause clipping at the same volume i tuned it to at max? And what about subwoofer level?My sub level is at 4 and will goto 8

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 3181
yes, any adjustments you make like that can have an affect on the pre out.

you should set the gains with everything flat first and see if setting them properly fixes any need for boosting any settings imo.

boosts are usually set at a certain frequency too btw, like 45Hz. so if you set the boost at +6, go back and check the AC voltage at 45Hz if thats what the frequency is for your unit. if its higher then its suppose to be, you might wanna lower the gains some.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us