1 18 vs 2 15s

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 163
im wanting to get an 18in fi ssd and run it off of a 1200wrms hifonics amp. do u think this could get louder than 2 15in mtx 7500's? the guy with the 15's has the loudest system in town... im trying to beat that...lol will this do it?

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 734
get 2 18"s and another amp :D

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 1373
i would get a 15 inch Q

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 1374
or 2 15 ssd and a bigger amp

Bronze Member
Username: Bass__monkey

Las Vegas, Nevada U.S. of A.

Post Number: 73
hard to say but 2 15's have more surface area than a single 18".( what car u have? ) wait u have 1200 watts just get a single fi q. LOL that q will deliver. i love chicken, i love liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver! YIII hAAA!

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1100
I m not familiar with any of these subs "peak performances" since there are many factors involved, but here are a few facts to know.

Having two of the same kind of subs wired together in parallel produces only a 3 dB gain in volume.

The difference in volume between two 15"s and one 18" really comes down to drivers specs and most of all "box design".

Drivers specs should tell how strong the driver will be;

Bl= force factor
Watts = capable of "RECIEVING" more power
Efficiency = capability of producing a certain volume with one given watt measured at one meter away.
Qms= capability of generating more output per given electrical input
Qes= the electrical input factor it takes to feed the driver at optimum levels
Moving mass= how heavy the cone is
Xmax= the linear travel a driver moves in and out of the magnet (one way)

Box design usually determines overall SPL volume. A sealed box will usually allow the driver to "recieve" more watts, while a ported box will not allow the driver to recieve full power because the driver may reach Xmax prematurely. This has to do with the fact that a ported box has a looser air suspension compared to a sealed box, and therefore the driver doesnt need as much power to surpass the box air resistence. A ported box will however yeald a 3 dB gain near the F3 due to the port factor. A sealed box will have a higher F3 than a ported box, so it will not hit down low compared to a ported box.

Another factor to concider is what type of vehicle is used and how do the two vehicles compare to each other. A closed trunk vehicle such as a honda accord (sedan) compared to a honda CRX (hatchback) will not be as loud because the CRX has cabin gain wich will yeald more SPL. A SUV or a van will yeald even more cabin gain.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

4, 2 0

Post Number: 2332
it all comes down to the install, if those mtx's are in a perfect install you'll have a very hard time beating him with one 18, if it was me i'd get a single fi q 15 put it in a nice azz ported box it should be close spl wise but you should dominate sq wise, but it comes down to the install. and what veichles are those mtx's in and what do you have for a car.

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 167
his 15's are in like a 90's grand am.. i wanna say bout a 96 or 97? im currently driving a 96 chrysler concord. the guy with the 15's did nothing himself.. hes rich.. he just takes it in and throws down the money. i believe they're in a sealed box too so i dont think it will b that hard to beat. i bet hes hittin probably high 130's.

Bronze Member
Username: Bass__monkey

Las Vegas, Nevada U.S. of A.

Post Number: 86
mix n effect seems to know his stuff! good job! we all have to get our hands dirty so rock on! it is all bout setting up that application and dialing everything in. DIYers rule!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us