12 vs 15

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 980
well i feel pretty stupid asking this. for my next sub i think i might find some what to put a 15 in my car instead of using a 12 like now.

any way from what iv heard on here a 12 will be better then a 15 for say "rock" because it can move faster so it wont miss anything. but this is all BS right because they both have the same motor so it wouldnt make a difference, sure the 15 will be louder and have more cone area but it will travel the same as a 12 right?

Silver Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Maryville, TN Us

Post Number: 285
like you said they have the same motor... that same motor will push a larger cone so the travel will be the same but the travel time may be a little slower depending on what you buy...

Silver Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 984
well its between the Q, compx2, and rl-p and either 12 or 15.

i just want to figure out what is going to have the best responce, because im really going for sq as well the sql so all of those subs should definatly give it to me.

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 1371
MO is selling a rl-p 12....brand new. look at it.

Bronze Member
Username: Bass__monkey

Las Vegas, Nevada U.S. of A.

Post Number: 71
what car? how much power?

Silver Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 987
yeah i know i dont have the money for a sub yet becasue i just bought a bp1200.1 from marshall and a dd3512 and i have to get my alt rebuilt for more power. im probly getting another sub in two months just want to have a clear idea of what i want. and i want to have time to test the 3512 becasue i will be getting rid of it more than likly

Silver Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 988
94 mazda 626 with 1300rms it is over powering the rl-p so ill keep the gain down a little but it will be fine. and the compx2 will be underpowerd a little but it is very efficant and will wang and i think the Qs rms is 1000 so it will take 1300 no prob

Silver Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 990
actually the rl-p the most reccommended is 1000 but mike has put 1500 on them and they do fine so im in the clear

Silver Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 991
actually the rl-p the most reccommended is 1000 but mike has put 1500 on them and they do fine so im in the clear

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1010
bump is a 15 ginog to be a little sloppier then a 12 because there is more cone to move so there is a little more delay so it will throw SQ off a little?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 6586
i dont think the motor manipulating the moving mass is as much of a concern with SQ as the "TONE" of the sound coming out of the sub.

you play a 60hz tone in a 10" and one in an 18" and they will sound different....

although i don't think a few more grams of moving mass on a 15" cone will make it in any way more noticeable from that of a 12" cone...if you can...i am sure it is very slight.

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 6587
depends a lot on motor force and coil winding i am sure.....

the coils may not be exactly the same on the 15" as the 12"

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1015
yeah i just heard people talking about how 10s and 12 are best for fast basslines because the responce time is shorter and 15s and 18s are better for rap. so i dont know how true any of that is but yeah. i just dont want to figure out what im going to get down the road becasue i would like the added spl of having a 15

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 6604
here is how i look at it...an 18" SQ speaker will sound tighter and cleaner than a 10" SPL sub....b/c one focuses on SPL, and the other on sensitive detail....

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1027
yeah i get that but im talking like 2 exact same subs just a 12 and a 15 which is going to have better sq if there is a difference at all

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 291
I have a 15" rl-p in a ported box and I think that it sounds very good...it moves fast enough and can pick out the individual bass hits.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1029
yeah but have you compared it to a 12 rl-p by any chance? i just want like more of an atual explanation becasue SQ is so subjective

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 292
No I havent compared it to a 12" rl-p but I have compared it to my 1 12" audiopipes and it sounds a lot better then them....I also heard it against a 15" type R and i thought it sounded better than that. IMO

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1030
yeah well the rl-p is an awesome sub.

but does anyone have like an actualy reason why a 12 would have more sq then a 15 or any info to prove no differene
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us