Kicker kx500.2????

Username: Rudy

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, I have 2 12" alpine type R's which are 300wRMS dual 4ohms. The model is swr-1241d. So I was thinking of getting this amp. Kicker kx500.2, so can you guys tell me if this is a good idea or not. Is it good enough for it? I mean it is 500W but apparently it's underated, and I can get around 680-700W out of it?

Anonymous

They are underrated and are very good amps. The only thing is it is Class AB and will draw a lot of current for what you get out of it. If you've got the alternator for it (you should be able to handle it) go for it, if you want to draw less current and possibly have a little leeway for another amp (maybe for components) then you may want to look for a 600W monoblock. Also, AB amps run hotter.

Silver Member
Username: Vipersbyms

Post Number: 108
the reason thats a good amp for the subs is that when you bridge it you get the full output of the amp at 4 ohms, since you can only wire 2 4ohm DVC subs to 4 ohms or 1 ohm. the alternative would be a JBL BP600.1, which is 600 watts rms and stable at 1 or 2 ohms.

Post Number: 2
When you say AB amps run hotter, do you mean it gets hot and can burn or you mean it's good sound? Ya I've also looked in to the jbl bp600.1 and it would go around for $499 but I'm getting a deal on kicker so I'm getting it for $390.

Post Number: 3
Oh, I have another choice for amp, this one: Kicker KX600.4

Is this 1 better or not as good? I checked the specs but I'm am not sure. BTW, same price, which is $390.

Anonymous

JBL 600.1 shouldn't be more than $250 if you find the right place. Damn good amp. AB amps give off a lot more heat, because they're less efficient, and because of this draw more current. AB amps are about 50-60% efficient while Class D monos are about 80%. Not knockin the Kicker, try www.sounddomain.com a JBL 600.1 is $219 there, $219 beats $390 and it's a great amp.

Post Number: 4
I called for the jbl and it's $550 cdn, but the kicker remains $390 cdn

Post Number: 5
A final question, will my type R's be underpowered if I get the kx500.2 or even the kx600.4? I mean it's underated but still it says 500w
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us