For new setup: 6.5" coax or 6X9" for the rear?

Bronze Member
Username: Cognition

Post Number: 11
My brother plans to setup his audio system for his compact sedan. All the stock speakers are paper-coned 6.5" clarions. He wants to replace all of them.

Upon my advice he bought a Pioneer DEH-4850 headunit. Now he's asking me if he should replace the stocks with 6.5" coax both for the front and the rear OR if he should install 6.5" in the front doors and 6X9" as rear fill. (He has no plan to put a component. Just coaxials).

If you were me, what would you tell him? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 965
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html

read that link you may not want rear fill at all. so id get some 6.5 coax for the front and a sub for the back 10 or 12" and get a 4channel amp and bridge the last two channels for the sub.

thats the best cheapest way to go about it IMO

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1288
man even though there is knowledge in that website its way overabused. Only to the really discerning will most of that stuff matters. Not everyone has that good of an ear or even cares about soundstaging and all. If you don't plan on doing components then I'd ay go get some decent coaxs for the rear BUT just don't have those rears overpower the front so if you have to use some fader. And can he fit 6x9s in the rear? I'd say do whichever is easier to install. It doesn't seem like he's going for a crazy setup so either will do. 6x9s get a little more midbass but also distort easier than a comparable 6.5. But definitely change out all the speakers cause factory Clarion's suck. If you can on getting a good substage you may not want rears but it all depends, some cars need some rear fill others dont.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Yes, my brother just wants better sound quality than that being produced by his car's stock Clarions. I suggested that he installs 6.5" Infinity 6010si (shallow mount) in the front doors and 6.5" 6010i in the rear to avoid modification, as 6X9's won't fit. I also told him that, based on what you guys have been posting, 6.5" coax make better sounds than 6X9's. He said he won't mind if he don't get more bass, as long as he get clear music. Thanks guys.

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 807
Reference might not be the way to go if he wants clear music.. or any midbass at all without external amplification for that matter.. I'd say go with at least 63.7i and get a set of plastic spacers to fit them in the doors with the correct clearance..

The sets of reference speakers I've owned have only had nice sound with an external amp... when powered with just the head unit they distorted at high volumes and the highs overtook the mids, even with the -3dB set on the tweeters (I had components).

I highly suggest paying the extra few bucks for the kappa's.

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 808
once last thing, I've noticed the Polk DB has alot better SQ than the infinity reference and kappa.. you might also check those out. I belive the model is DB650 for the 6.5" coaxils, I think they also make a shallow mount DB, not sure. it all depends on how much high you like, I like an even high/mid, 50/50. some people like overbearing tweeters, though :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks for your input Mick, but my brother has already bought two pairs of 6.5 Reference coaxials. They sound a lot better than his stocks. You are probably right -- that Kappas would be better and Polk db650 a lot better. For now, however, he's already satisfied with his new Infinity refs.

I guess next time I upgrade my own coax, I'll try the Polk 6.5"s.

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1291
i would suggest some Kenwood Excelon KFCX series over Polk and Infinity or look into CDT coaxials. PM me if interested in CDT. Stay away from Infinity.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us