Upsidedown sub on a FLAT surface - good or bad?

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 499
Earlier, I heard someone suggest that putting a sub on a flat surface upside down could POTENTIALLY f,u,c,k up the sub...

... something about voice coils scraping off some of the epoxy (if it's not pushed in evenly).

Does anybody know anything about this? Any knowledge you guys may have regarding the subject would be appreciated!

THANKS!

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 451
I heard my immortals scraping when i pput them upside down, sounded nasty, and i always has clipping problems with the subs.. bought em brand new..
When i ripped the subs apart to attempt to fix them so i could atleast use them until i got my new subs, the voice coils were all scraped up on one side, i put more epoxy on them and 1 of the 2 subs worked... but once i took the sub out and flipped it upside down to change the VC config... it stopped working again..

Silver Member

Post Number: 502
wow!
that's interesting!!!

that really sucks, man. You think that laying it down did all that? I suppose it IS possible... but we're talking a good SHOVE of the cone at an angle, right? If you just mean "push on one side of the cone and not the other", then that would mean that you even gotta watch out when they're positioned sideways or diagnally in the box... right?

Silver Member

IL USA

Post Number: 452
diagnolly in a box would be fine, im just saying the cone itself, if the cone was hitting somthing or being pushed agaisnt somthing then ya, but in a box any angle is fine as long as the comb isnt hitting anything.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 3117
you can damage the sub by placing it upside down if you set it down at an angle. you will bend the VC, knock it off track, its possible to smash it against the bottom of the pole piece, bending the edges which will cause scraping noises....ect...ect.

especially with a sub like JL's W7's, you will definally screw thoes up. but with most subs, you can safely set them upside down if you set them down straight on the surface and not at an angle.

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1185
why not just set em on the magnet? just dont do that ehhhhhh i know i couldnt even bring myself to do it if i had to, its like putting your baby on its head

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google, use it

Post Number: 6453
just be careful guys....please...:-(

lmao

Gold Member

Google, use it

Post Number: 6454
to give you the best answer i can....

it really depends on how much Air Gap is between the coil motor wall.....and how much of a bumped back plate there is until it reaches it....setting it down on the surroun will only push it in an inch or so...

Gold Member

Google, use it

Post Number: 6455
coil and motor wall****

more low power subs have less of an air gap iirc.

Silver Member

IL USA

Post Number: 456
well the imortal didnt have much space at all, maybe a total of a 8th inch with the VC's removed im not sure how far t is on the actual subs with TRUE or UNDERRATED would be, i personally only think the subs that get damaged upside down are subs with sh!t for a build, with a decent weight of a motor, light subs i never had a problem with, but these immortals.... i hear them scrap samn near every time i placed them upside down... witch was only a very few times, i also think it depends on the cone\combing strength that hold the cone out away from the motor, if its weak it pushes down more then you would want but then again that would be a sh!tty build... personally my rule now ever since that is, DONT PLACE THEM UPSIDE DOWN UNLESS YOU ABSOULOUTLY NEED TOO. There isnt to much a reason to put them upside down in the first place, most all subs you see on this forum are sitting on a big enough motor to easily place it on a table and look from under and wire up your coils :-)

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Post Number: 237
i did it to one of my shallow mount premiers. so it is possile

Silver Member

IL USA

Post Number: 458
So whos have second thoughts for placing there subs upside down now? lol

Username: Bass__monkey

Las vegas, Nevada United states

Post Number: 8
If the speaker is built properly ( aligned from spider to coil then to cone and surround ) you can mount them inverted into the box. One problem can be that when the sub was mounted invertedly the surround could be hitting the corner of the wall cutout. Remember, the surround is also a suspension of the cone, and when it starts to move it is like being pressed to one side thus causing a misalignment. 10's and 12's are more susceptible to rubbing... 15's and 18's have less rock to em'. An integral part of understanding this is that from the surround flange to the spider flange, if there is less of a clearance there is more of rockiness to the cone's suspension. The 15's and 18's have more clearance thus making rocking less likely. hope this helps! have fun and enjoy! DIYers rule!

Silver Member

Post Number: 513
good, good input!
thanks.

bass monkey:
I was talking about putting them upside down on a flat surface... but now i feel compelled to ask you more... what about the invert again? Please explain.
I'm especially concerned because I'm running a 10" Focal polyglass 27v2 and a 12" Diamond Audio D3 INVERTED in sealed enclosures!!! Please explain again the alignment, spider, coil thing.
Also, what do you know about the build quality of the Focal and the Diamond? Do they meet your criteria mentioned to be ok inverted?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 576
how do you like that focal sub? is it an SQL sub or pure SQ sub?

Silver Member

Post Number: 519
You know what???
At first, I was like: What the f* am I gonna do with this damn thing!
I had just switched from an L7 (of all things) to the Focal... lol
I thought it SUCKED at first. Then, I got to playing with my amps and settings and ESPECIALLY enclosures...
added a Diamond Audio D3...
INVERTED the subs...
invested countless hours of wiring, thinking, and even praying...
lol
NOW I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY LIKE IT ALOT!
seriously.
Plus, that's where I got the phrase "It punishes" and "punisher" from... my neighbors across the street are always hooking up s,h,i,t and so are their buddies from all over. It's pretty sweet, cuz they all use my setup as the guideline... or one to beat... my neighbor sees me and he goes, "sup PUNISHER?"

lmao
I gotta admit... it feels cool in a dorky kinda way... also, setting off car alarms is a personal favorite of mine as well... yes, WITH a Focal!!!
(wait a minute, did I just say that out loud?!)
lol

but yeah, it's an sq sub, i would say... but it "PUNISHES"! Best in my neighborhood with about 6 or 7 to compare with total. (for now, that is - crossing fingers) lol But I can see it coming real soon here... #1 OBJECTIVE: I MUST NOT SUFFER DEFEAT! THEREFORE THE SEARCH COMMENCES ONCE AGAIN!!! CALLING ALL ECOUSTICS VETERANS... MEMBER IN TROUBLE... I REPEAT, MEMBER IN TROUBLE! POSSIBLE LOSS OF RANKING AMONGST PEERS!!! THEY'RE GIVING IT EVERYTHING THEY'VE GOT, YOU GUYS!!! SO LET'S GIVE IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol
(sorry about that)
but, eh, really... any advice? lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 520
well, maybe it SEEMS like an SQL... but only once i inverted the sub. Know what i mean?
(it muffled the clarity a bit and increased the bass)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us