Slope

Silver Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 536
i see people saying 12db slope and 24db slope. How do i set this? I have an eD NINe.2x amp for the focal 165K2P componets. How would i set the amp for the best performance?

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1093
Crossover slopes are the rate that the frequency will drop above or below the crossover point.

12 dB slope will drop 12 dB per octave.

From 20 Hz to 40 Hz is one octave. 40 to 80 Hz is another octave. 80 to 160 is another and so on... So basically upwards you double and downwards you cut in half.

Now,

At 12 dB, the crossover will start to reduce volume 12 dB per octave.

At 24 dB, the crossover will start to reduce volume 24 dB per octave.

Use the 12 dB slope if you want to get a gradual reduction, and still be able to hear some of the frequencies past the crossover point.

Or,

Use the 24 dB slope if you want a sharp reduction of frequencies past the crossover point.

Personally I would use the 24 dB slope because it protects the mid-bass driver from bottoming out at low frequencies.:-)

Silver Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 549
how do i set this on my amps?

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 169
It depends on the amp, many have a set slope, some allow you to select the slope with a switch. It appears that your amp (from a quick check online) only runs a 12dB per octave slope. I have had good success with the K2Ps running a variety of settings.
The 165 K2P's are unique in that their frequency response is 70Hz-22KHz. Comparing this range to a competitors you see that it is narrow (JL Audio's ZR650's run 48Hz-25KHz). Focal believes (In my opinion correctly) that a 6 1/2 shouldn't be playing lower than 70Hz.

Because of this, and the fact that your amp cannot run a 24 dB down crosover I would set your crossover around the 140Hz range. Your situation is certainly not ideal as you cannot set a more aggresive slope for these woofers. You would be well served to get an EQ that can run at least a 24 dB down slope.

Most good EQs can run at least 12 or 24, and many include settings for 6,12,24 and 30 db slopes.

PS: I apologize to the audio purists on this forum for the numerous subjects I gave lip service to, it was a pink noise day at the shop today and I'm shot.

Silver Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 591
What good eqs do you recommend? A guy that works at tweeter i met is going to help me tune my system once im done building it. He recommended Audio Control but which model would you get? I will be running those focals off a JL 300/2 and 1 FI Q 12" off a JL 1000/1

Silver Member

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 172
If you're running the 300/2 you will have a 12/24 selector on the amp. Run an EQ if you want to fine tune the sound from there, but if your only concern is the crossover point the JL will do it for you. Having a Tweeter guy helping out sound like a good idea to me. :-)

Silver Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 600
What are some good eqs. i dont really need the electronic crossovers just a nice eq that will let me adjust everything

Silver Member

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 177
AudioControl.

Silver Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 607
How is the DQX for crossovers and Eq'n

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass