Last Hope [box]

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 893
Well I've posted before for help but have not gotten much of a response and I'm building my amp rack today so that only thing that would stop be from putting in my new amp is the lack of the new box.. I need some help!

Alright.. I'm definantly going to make a box with interchangable ports now. I want to change the box dimensions to 16x39x15.5 (old was 16x30x24). Basically I'm making the box shallow but widening it to fit between the wheel wells.

Now here is the main problem.. I want to tune it to 28hz but there is no way I could make an interchangable port tuned that low that would fit inside the box with that depth without making the port only 2 inches wide thus dropping my port area to half of what should be used. The only solution is to build the port as part of the box on the left side for example. On the right side I could make the interchangable port. When I wanted to compete I could just plug the 28hz port and for daily plug the comp port.

Now the problem I see with this is the daily port would be somewhat of a blank port. More like internal bracing but without cutouts to continue flow. How would this effect the sound or the box itself? Should I drop down from 35hz to 28hz? The main purpose I tuned for SQL (35hz) was so I could have a daily/comp setup but now with this I could drop is down. Would it still be as loud but drop down low better? I like how it is that is why I was hesitant to tune to 28hz but it does lack the lows, but then it slams when the box peaks.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3402
You can build interchangable ports w/ an L-shape. That would be pretty easy and would not hurt your air-flow when you put an SPL port in.

The only draw back is that w/ the L-shape port, its is going to take up ALOT of space in the box. And on top of that...you could only get like a small port area because of the depth (like you said).

If at all possible, try 16x39x19. You would be able to do an L-shaped port w/ that box and still have a reasonable net volume. W/ that box you could do an L-shaped port 21.5" long w/ a 10"x4" (11.5x5.5 external) port and it would tune to 30hz and give you 4.5cuft net.

The box you are looking at building is only 4.4cuft gross...you would be VERY hard pressed to get a built in port and an interchangable SPL port in the box w/ that gross volume.

oh...and I just saw your email...sorry i didnt get back to ya sooner.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3403
BTW...you will see a gain in low bass by tuning lower, but upper end bass will be more quite.

by tuning to 28-30hz..(i recommend 30hz) you will have a low bass monster on your hands.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 901
Well like I said I went straight from two RE SX 15"s in a 14 cubic foot box tuned to 28hz to one tuned to 35hz... big difference lol. With my truck I could shake anything within range of 100yards lol. The reason I wanted to make the box shallow is because the new location of the amp. I'll post a picture to show what I mean and get it back up here asap.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 903
Ok... Those photos are with my box pushed forward (through the back seat opening) to show what 19inches of box depth would do. When the box is made wider it will not fit through the trunk opening anymore so right there I lose around 5 inches. But anyway, the purpose of making the new box shallower is to allow better view of the amp. I don't want to half them' over-lapping'. Eventually my system will be 'clean' so I'm trying to avoice future problems. I know the interchanagable port would be a problem. So what if instead I made one end of the box tuned to 30hz being a built in port. I could plug it and use an interchangable port on the side. Yes I'd lose the volume of the wood itself for the port tuned to 30hz but I would not be that much. But how would that plugged port effect the box? Would it trap the air or cause more 'back-pressure' acting like a car muffler with baffles? Just curious cuz that was my only option besides making the box bigger. Well that or I could use Aeros but I don't feel like spending %40 bucks on port unless you want to make me some :-)

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 914
the amp is going to be inset more but that an idea.. I did start the

Upload

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 915
the amp is going to be inset more but that an idea.. I did start the rack for it..

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 154
do you have room to put it on the outside of the box??? that wouldnt look the best but it would work if ur usin pvc.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 916
the port/sub would be facing the back of the seat.. won't work unless the seats stayed down which won't work for me.. but that did just give me an idea seeing as if i were to put ports on the outside of the box it would put the mic closer to the ports lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
ummmm... i would put the sub/port facing back. or maybe have the sub forwards and the port back. then you could do the port outside of the box. if u dont want to do that just go with a slot port. btw if ur sub/port is facing towards the seat, and the seat is up that will come pretty close 2 ur port...i would have them facing towards the trunk, but its ur system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
what size port r u trying to use?

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 917
the port depends on what type and the tuning so the size is not figured.. im going to build a few ports for different frequencies and i can't use a slot port unless its 2 inches wide which cuts my port area to half of what is needed.. ima leave the port/sub facing inside the cabin and seal the box off from the trunk.. this is my daily/comp setup.. i do decent at comps now but i want to clean it up hence the reason why im doing all this now

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
well if the pvc is too long for 28hz. i would just get a curved piece from a hardware store. that would curve it like it was a slot port (L port). the only disadvantage is that it would be harder to change the ports. you could just make the top of the box to where you can take it off, and change to a shorter pipe for a higher tune.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 922
I'm halfway tempted to use flared ports.. perhaps 2 4" ports for the spl portion of the box..

http://www.klausaudio.com/shop/box-replacement-parts/flared-port-tubes.cfm?ref=3 8&gclid=CLTy9IDzzYcCFSdtVAodRm7Yzw

But still no one has answered how and if the built in port for 28hz would affect the box. It would stay in the box but be plugged thus creating a voided area in the box.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 923
Here is a better idea of the problem I am seeing...

Upload

See the port built into the box? How would that effect the box/output when plugged and the SPL ports opened?!

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5903
what would be the spl port? the slot or the aeros?

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1165
the only thing it will affect is resonence because the sound waves will be bouncing off that wall instead ot the main wall, it will act like its in the big box cf wise, only the displacement of the wood not the port itself

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9192
instead of building interchangable ports y not build interchangable boxes

thats what i did with my type Rs -

had 1 sealed box
1 box with 2 3" pipe ports .
1 box with 2 subs in 1 chamber slot ported ,
& 2 more separate boxes with each sub in its own chamber slotported .

Like every 10 days i would change box depending on my listening mood ,just unscrew subs & drop it in a different box combo -lol ......

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5904
kevin is a lazy azz. he don't want to do that. he said its too much work cause he competes every two weeks or so.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 925
^^... that and with this new box I'd have to pull the back seat out to slide it in.. not to mention most of the time the only help I have is myself. and aeros would be the spl port while the slot port would be daily

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5920
yeah i know what you mean man. girlfriends are useless when it comes to setting up your system. lol.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 932
well mine is 7 mos prego so she really can't help me lift anything but she goes to all the comps :-)..

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 425
Well there goes your life Kevin :-( I remember when my GF said she was pregnant...I was like you're pregnant but it's not mine lol.I love kids but I sure as hell don't want any of my own.About 7 months down the line she claimed she had a miscarriage.I hadn't seen her at all for all of those months so I assume she was BS'ing me anyways.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 944
who knows.. women are misterious.. but yes and no.. i'll just have a little basshead :-) .. btw its a girl but thats ok. i can pawn of her problems to mommy and then when shes bueno we can have fun with subwoofers lol.. but yeah my system is what i have and prolly will only have until i win the lottle and sell my wife.. lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us