How many amp watts per sub watts are needed

Username: Dabigpapa

Post Number: 7
Im new to subs & amps but how many amp watts per sub watts are needed for the amp to handle the sub
for example a sub with 3,000 Watts Nominal Power how powerful does the amp need to be & how many do i need. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 270
Well just pay close attention to the RMS rating.Then match your sub with an amp that comes close to that.Beware though as some amps are over-rated and some are under-rated,over-rated amps will claim 1600 watts RMS and they actually put out only 1500 or something like that,as to under-rated amps will put out more than what they claim.Also pay attention to ohms.

Silver Member
Username: Tremor1127

Post Number: 208
true robert, but depending on what your looking at there could be a way larger margin of over or under rating...

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-QhW5Qrhd9z7/reviews/amplifiers/20050712/rock ford_punch45.html?page=3

^^^ that rockford fosgate amp is rated at 22.5 watts rms X 2 channels and put out 79 rms X 2 with a max power of 753 watts i think... almost 3 times the power... there are probably more overrated amps out there though... :-(

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
and that amp is way expensive for a 45 watt amp...

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3592
well it does around 300 watts @ 2 i believe.

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
i know, almost 3 times the rated power at @ 2ohms, i didnt type that because it was obvious...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us