Do I need to upgrade some more?

Bronze Member
Username: Rickeyd87

Post Number: 91
Currently I am running a RE SX12 powered by a Hifonics BXi1606D. I'm going to upgrade to another RE SX12 and another Hifonics BXi1606D. I also have a Infinity Reference 7541a powering my interior speakers. My alternator is 200 amps. Would I need to upgrade anything else before adding a second RE SX12 and a second Hifonics BXi1606D. Could my electrical system handle all this power?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1849
yes, i'd get a bigger alt. before adding another amp.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 550
not before u add the amp you can get the amp and the sub now and see how your alt handles it and uprgrade that later

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Is there anything else I can do to upgrade besides that? I just bought the 200 amp alt a couple days ago, and it's the biggest one I could find. Instead of getting an even bigger alt, can't I just upgrade my battery to a red top or yellow top, and then do the Big 3 upgrade?

Silver Member
Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 290
are you sure your alternator is 200 amps? If so, get an extra batter, run a battery isolator, that way you won't feed your amps to the same battery that is running your car. Do you know how many amps you get at idle? If you consider the batteries, get either 1 or 2 yellow tops or one odyssey batt. 1700mjt or the 2150S for odyssey.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 291
also if you already know about the big 3 then do that also, it'll help. If you don't know how to do it, heres a site to help you out some.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152355

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
Yes i'm sure my alt is 200 amps. I'm not sure how many amps i get at idle. Would this battery isolator be good enough?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Stinger-SR200-200-Amp-Car-Battery-Relay-Isolator_W0QQite mZ220029053053QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14932QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, when I get a yellow top battery, do I just throw it in my trunk? Or do I replace the one under the hood with the yellow top. I'm not really sure how the battery isolator works. Are those battery isolators easy to install? After I do that and do the big 3 upgrade, my system should work fine, right?

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 293
You would want to look at this type of battery isolator ( ID: 280030005579) just copy and paste the number in ebay. go to www.bcae1.com and go to the very bottom of the scroll list and click on battery isolator, it'll tell you how battery isolators work. And yeah, put the yellow top in the trunk, but make sure you brace it so it doesnt move around. And if you just want to replace the one under the hood, go with a red top and you won't need a battery isolator since your only going to run battery. What the battery isolator does is it isolates two batteries from each other, meaning that the one in the trunk only gets drained from your sound system, and the one under the hood is only used for car electricals. Battery isolators IMO seems very easy to install. And I'm sure that will all this, your system should be fine. If not, all you can do next is add another battery.

Also, my Yukon has a 100amp battery and it is able to play a bx1500d powering two alpine 15's. I have a red top under the hood and my charging system works pretty fine mainly when driving above idle. You on the other hand have a 200 amp alternator, and your going to run a separate battery. IMO that leaves like 100amps for the car, and 50amps and 50amps for your amplifiers plus a yellow top. You should be good to go. Cost of yellow top and batt isolator, under 300.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us