Blown RE

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Post Number: 210
hey guys i jus got a brand new RE .re and like i was playin it. a stereo shop hooked everything up. and the gain was a lil less than half way. and ihave 2 of them by the way. one used and one new.. ok so the new started poppin. so i turned the bass control down on my amp to +5. so i turned it back on.. no smell or anything. i turned the amp down even more when i get home. so im listening to it this morning. about 3/4 volume. and it pops numerous times. and now thrs a scracting noise when i push the cone in. and now i know its blown. but heres the weird part. it still hits just as hard. and it sounds the same. i dont know what it is.. i unscrewed and thr was no smell... and ilooked to how they wired it. and it was to 1ohm. and i htink the amp is only 2ohm stable. but the amp hasnt been getting hot or anything... and it jus blew the one sub. the other doesnt make the noise. but yet they both still play regular. even the blown one... im way confused here???

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3566
u shorted part of the coil... the ohms even droped.. thats why its 1ohm now... thats why when u push the cone it rubs, it will just get worst, and can even damage ur amp...

un hook it!
ur giving the subs too much power, or clippin the hell out of the amps and subs.... inspect ur chargin system also...

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3568
bump

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
ok thanks man. im giving to amp back to my friend and saving up to buy 2 RE SX or SE's or something crystal that stuff looks nice... do you know anyone you wants an re .re ... only like 2 months old..

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1494
did you break the sub in? one of my budies had a pair of 12" JL W0's that were prolly 4 or 5 years old and then got a third, brand new, to add on. The new one blew, even after a week of breaking it in, and now only has the old ones andthey still work like a charm. Don't know if it applies to RE but I think it shows that possibly JL's quality has went down over the past few years in their lower line of subs.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1824
hey chase, which re you getting rid of? bad or good one? and how much are they brand new?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1825
oh, and what size is it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 212
good one
12'
175wrms
these were 250 brand new
i wanna get it out of my hands for no less than 100-110...

what should i do with the bad one.. ill the sell the bad one it still works for 15 bucks

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 538
i want the bad one :D

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
ok, i dont really know how we will do this. i live in oklahoma. and you live in MN. whichever way is the easiest

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
still want it

Silver Member
Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 221
wait....you paid 250 for a 12RE?

Silver Member

Post Number: 219