**PICS** DIY Ram Air

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 793
Heres a little mod I did to my Jetta.. Dumped the factory air intake and home made a 'Ram Air' :-) ..

The tear down...
Upload
New vs Old
Upload
Upload
Installed
Upload

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 794
Heres one more pic of it..

Factory air dam with ram air installed :-)
All is done just by modding the factory air box and cutting a lot of excess plastic under the hood to run the PVC tubing down to the bottom of the bumper. Not bad for about $20 bucks
Upload

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 803
bah.. didn't bump

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 804
forums treating me like chad lol.. still no bump

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5670
lol i know what you mean man. sometimes my post disappears too.

nice thread. so you made that yourself? did you feel any difference in performance?

Silver Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 412
What has it increased??????

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 805
Idk.. took me from 3-7 to do it today.. have no drove it since.. Did make sure my car still started and the system still bumped lol. If anything I should see better gas mileage and maybe a couple HP gain. It will not be getting colder air not just being pulled in but forced in plus with the bigger tubing and increased airflow I should hope to see something.. Either way it was cheap and gave me something to do.. I'll post results tomorrow after I get home from work and can actually drive the car.. BTW.. No Picture?! lol

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 533
why not just get a cold air intake

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 807
for one a cold air intake would not be the same as the ram air effect and a good one would cost more than I'm willing to spend.. that extra money I save on doing it myself i can spend on audio equip :-)

Silver Member
Username: Tremor1127

Post Number: 187
die hard audio fan right there... :-)

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 231
I don't see an air filter on that intake ...please tell me you have one.Lol.

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 197
No air filter = bad.

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 234
Hmmm...I think I see where your filter is.Still in the stock air box right before your clamp to your PVC.Just be careful with water getting sucked into that PVC,don't go through any large puddles or anything like that.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 808
stil la filter.. but you do know the chance of sucking water up there? you'd have to have the whole pipe submerged or have a very high suction which that little motor simply won't put out.. besides it if did all it would do is clean the carbon out of the heads :P... lol. but yeah I won't have to worry about water unless I plan on trying to drive across the lake

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 236
I'm very aware of the chances of sucking water into an engine.Water in your engine doesn't clean the carbon out of your heads either lol,it hydra locks.A buddy of mine's 10 thousand dollar all turbo engine was destroyed when the intake ingested water.It happened the same day he dropped the engine in too lol.What a bad day that was.The odds are pretty good of ingesting water into your engine,this is the reason AEM invented the bypass valve for their intakes.I was just looking out for you though.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 811
The airbox has drilled holes in the bottom so water would drain.. But the one way it will suck it up is if the hole thing is submerged.. all in all on the drive home I did notice a difference in throttle response.. It had more acceleration that before but most known at higher speeds. :-) .. well worth my time

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 849
cool but honeslty whats the difference bettwen ram air and cold air intakes just the filter in differnt places?

looks pretty cool ill probly try that you use 4" piping?

also i really doubt the chances of water getting in there it wouldnt be much different then normal. even if it was raining the sucktion is not htat high plus its on a slant so it will drain out of the pipe

Silver Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 582
your gonna be picken bugs and leaves and crap outa there... have fun. as long as it works eh... any difference in the sound quality of the systme? hits any harder? hehehe

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 814
Its just 3inch PVC.. bigger than it looks though.. I did not have time to do so but I will be putting a screen over it for the problem. I'll eventually fiberglass a new air dam for direct flow. The difference between ram air and a cold air intake is simple this.. a col air intake is basically just a relocated filter to a section of the car where it can get "cold air" instead of the hotter air from inside the engine compartment. The ram air is a sort of force induction.. nothing like a turbo or supercharger but it increases the flow of air into your intake. Systems not louder yet but as soon as I get the resonant frequency of my car I'll build a new box and hook up that RE 35.1. Btw Narshalls.. pics of 8"s! Your lacking pics! lol All I take pics with is my phone so nothing is great but it works!

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 239
The real way to benefit from a "cold air" or even "ram air" is to adjust your fuel mixture afterwards.Since you are now running air that is more dense you need some more fuel.I'd guess a gain in 1-2 hp with what you did there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us